Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer crimped 9mm brass

fastmtnbiker33w

I'm just getting back into the firearms thing after a few years of being really serious in another really expensive hobby. Wife doesn't mind as she know's I'm budget minded and a pretty serious reloader. I do about 30 minutes of brass pickup for every couple hours or so that I shoot.

Most of my brass has been from the concrete floor pistol bay at my range. I just kind of sweep it all up with my hands and toss it into a mesh bag. About 10% has been military brass with the crimped primer pocket. '97 headstamp. Now I have to strain my eyes semi-sorting the headstamps on 9mm brass. Something I really didn't want to do.

Thanks mil-surplus ammo stockpiler from the late 90's. You made my reloading session take at least another 20 minutes from me having to loosen the base plate on my 550 to get the two pieces of your bargain crap ammo with the primer 1/3 mashed in out of my machine. Yep.....it took two pieces for me to decide to check every dang piece. My eyes aren't what they use to be.

Oh well. 300 rounds in just over an hour after getting everything set up.

I'm just getting back into the firearms thing after a few years of being really serious in another really expensive hobby. Wife doesn't mind as she know's I'm budget minded and a pretty serious reloader. I do about 30 minutes of brass pickup for every couple hours or so that I shoot.

Most of my brass has been from the concrete floor pistol bay at my range. I just kind of sweep it all up with my hands and toss it into a mesh bag. About 10% has been military brass with the crimped primer pocket. '97 headstamp. Now I have to strain my eyes semi-sorting the headstamps on 9mm brass. Something I really didn't want to do.

Thanks mil-surplus ammo stockpiler from the late 90's. You made my reloading session take at least another 20 minutes from me having to loosen the base plate on my 550 to get the two pieces of your bargain crap ammo with the primer 1/3 mashed in out of my machine. Yep.....it took two pieces for me to decide to check every dang piece. My eyes aren't what they use to be.

Oh well. 300 rounds in just over an hour after getting everything set up.

Welcome to 9mm. It's not stockpiled. I sorted some from the last match that was stamped "WCC 10". It is very good brass. If you want to reload it do as mentioned above and stockpile it then puch out the primer and ream the pockets. Order a couple of primer pocket reamers from Midwayusa and chuck them up in a drill. Takes 1 second to remove the crimp.

Doug,

At the rate I'm going with finding this stuff, that's becoming a viable option.

Sarge,

Some of my stuff is WCC 10 as well. Being a military post it's bound to happen.

I'm not disappointed that so many people leave so much brass. My range has a new policy that doesn't allow you to scavange brass. You can pick up your own or ask others if you can have theirs. I've gotten away with it by picking up the stuff that is forward of the normal firing lines. Lots of classes take place in areas forward of the firing lines. Range personnel will only pick up what can be swept up on the concrete. Yesterday I took a quick cruise and saw a range with a lot of brass on it. I signed in on that range and picked up a few hundred +p nickle 9. I'm blown away by how much 40 brass I've collected. I don't even own a 40, but I've got a couple thousand in brass. After finding the nickel nine brass mine yesterday, I started passing up 40 brass to beat sundown.

45 shooters are like crackheads picking up their brass. For every couple thousand pieces of brass I pick up, I'm only getting 4 or 5 pieces of the bigmouth.

45 shooters are like crackheads picking up their brass. For every couple thousand pieces of brass I pick up, I'm only getting 4 or 5 pieces of the bigmouth.

You should see some of the 38 Super shooters!:cheers:

Doug,

At the rate I'm going with finding this stuff, that's becoming a viable option.

Sarge,

Some of my stuff is WCC 10 as well. Being a military post it's bound to happen.

I'm not disappointed that so many people leave so much brass. My range has a new policy that doesn't allow you to scavange brass. You can pick up your own or ask others if you can have theirs. I've gotten away with it by picking up the stuff that is forward of the normal firing lines. Lots of classes take place in areas forward of the firing lines. Range personnel will only pick up what can be swept up on the concrete. Yesterday I took a quick cruise and saw a range with a lot of brass on it. I signed in on that range and picked up a few hundred +p nickle 9. I'm blown away by how much 40 brass I've collected. I don't even own a 40, but I've got a couple thousand in brass. After finding the nickel nine brass mine yesterday, I started passing up 40 brass to beat sundown.

That 40 brass is like finding gold laying in the street. People here will pay for it (along with the 9mm!)

There's a bunch of Winchester out there right lately that's crimped. It seems that during the ammo shortage they were throwing anything they could find in the Value Pack boxes. I've found Nata marked that's crimped, Nato marked that's not crimped, unmarked thats crimped, whatever, all in the same box. Kind of a pain.

While chamber checking my loads, I noticed some WCC that made it through. I guess it had been swaged and reloaded already. I went through all my brass and sorted out anything that appeared to be crimped, S&B, and of course some 380. It's in my garbage brass bin. When it gets totally full, I might pull out the possibly crimped brass and give it to someone who might want it.

What a PITA. That was the only cool thing about reloading 45. It was easy to see what it was. I've got good vision, but after going through a couple thousand 9mm hulls, I may need to see an eye doctor.