Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 flash hiders

iainmcphersn

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did not find anything with a search.

I'm looking to put a better flash hider on one of my ARs and have been looking at flash suppression videos. These seem to give a good idea on which flash hider work best at suppression. They don't tell anything about accuracy however.

Does anyone have a favorite flash hider/suppressor, not a comp, for accuracy? Anything to stay away from?

Thanks! :cheers:

The absolute best flash hider on the market right now is the AAC Blackout. Its noticeably better than the Smith Vortex and the Smith Vortex has set the standard for a long time.

But yes.....accuracy will not be affected by the installation of a flash hider. What can change....is POI. Thats usually a function of how tight the flash hider is installed.

I believe the US Army Marksmanship Unit tested the affect of flash hiders on accuracy some years back. They concluded that the flash hider is OK if screwed on hand-tight only, but can degrade accuracy if overtightened. You might want to test this for yourself using your rifle.

The absolute best flash hider on the market right now is the AAC Blackout. Its noticeably better than the Smith Vortex and the Smith Vortex has set the standard for a long time.

But yes.....accuracy will not be affected by the installation of a flash hider. What can change....is POI. Thats usually a function of how tight the flash hider is installed.

I just went from a Miculek to a Titan and had a huge POI change.

I was quite impressed with the Smith Vortex a few years back. This past weekend I saw a Primary Weapons System CQB Comp. I did not see it in action but heard that due to the expansion chamber design it all but snuffs out flash. Anyone have some more data on this one.

Jay

I was quite impressed with the Smith Vortex a few years back. This past weekend I saw a Primary Weapons System CQB Comp. I did not see it in action but heard that due to the expansion chamber design it all but snuffs out flash. Anyone have some more data on this one.

Jay

Some pictures of various flash hiders in use if anyone is interested.

Muzzleflash-1.jpg

Here is a Vortex

VortexonColt.jpg

Noveske Pig

kx32.jpg

Primary Weapons FSC556 combo flash hider and muzzle brake.

FSC556larue.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Note that non-military based target rifles almost never have a flash hider. Yes, some very high power rifles like the 338 Lapula have breaks and some Savage rifles have them but it seems to be a gimmick. However, if it helped, they would all have them! :surprise:

For best accuracy a really good 11 deg crown seems to be the standard.

If done properly I can see they would have no to very minimal impact on accuracy, but not a help.

The absolute best flash hider on the market right now is the AAC Blackout.

Threaded part aside, it looks like an old M16 picklefork to me. Everything old is new again. ;)

Edited by cas