Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post you Glock stippling!

hankfan79

My G19 carry gun. DIY style. Raised the beavertail area, undercut trigger guard and removed finger grooves. Feels great. I may go back for some more of that trigger guard.

Glockredux2.jpg

Glockredux.jpg

Do you have trouble with the texture around the beaver tail tearing up the web of your hand? I've always worried about putting any kind of grip in that particular spot.

I did not fill the backstrap with epoxy. After watching several youtube videos on the subject, I noticed that in the beavertail area there is plenty of material to work with. As you narrow the grip lower down, the material is much thinner and epoxy is the way to go.

That being said; I'm going epoxy anyway to create an internal mag well. I think I saw the idea somewhere on here.

As far as the texture eating the web of my hand: It was way too rough initially, I hit it with a foam sanding block until it was comfortable. I've only got about 200rnds downrange since I textured the grip(new G17 Gen4 is getting all the love), but I'm very happy with the texture. I would compare it to an aggressive grip tape. I could easily make it less aggressive with a little more sanding, but I'm pretty happy with where it stands. I may change my mind, after some extended carry time. If I see any damage to my clothes or my sensitive underbelly, I'll dial it down some more.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone sent me a PM and asked if the stippling on my limited and open guns interferes with the magwell. The answer is no. Mike does the gripwirk with the magwell on the gun so he has a starting/stopping point. If you stippled the grip for production then added a magwell later you might have to knock down the roughness a bit to get the magwell on as the production stipple job goes all the way to the nase if the grip frame. Here are some pictures of my G17 open gun with the magwell pulled down about an 1/8".

SANY0014.jpg

SANY0012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does the stippling alter the "stiffness" of the frame? I have shot a 21SF that my friend stippled and the grip deforms somewhat when shifting my grip to drop a magazine. I don't really crush the grip anymore than most people, but the mags consistantly hang up. Is this a common problem with stippling in general?

I have never heard of such s thing? Could it be that your friend got a little too aggressive with his stippling and the 21SF is thinner than most other non SF frames? If you could squeeze my frames hard enough to deform them the stippling would tear your hands

up. It's aggressive so the gun doesnt slip in your hand.

Edited by jtischauser

Yes, damage to the frame and weakening of the frame is a problem common with stippling. However, most of the people who screw up a frame don't advertise it. I've seen two total grip fractures along stipple lines in person. I've seen burn throughs and ones where no magazine would drop free. I've been able to repair a few, but some had to go back to Glock for a frame replacement.

I've not seen a frame failure from Accurate Iron, SJC or Cold Bore who are three of the notaeable companies doing frames mods like this. Just by the mere principle of how stippling is performed the altered material strength will be reduced some. Like anything else, there are some that do it well, some that do it marginally and some who should be banned from soldering irons in general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

post-23844-0-27889400-1334002893_thumb.jpost-23844-0-93985100-1334002911_thumb.j

My own stipple job and the magwell is fixed. It is a dedicated open gun. I will post pics of the completed pistol with the extended beavertail if anyone wnats to see. ...yes its a 2011 magwell on a Glock :cheers:

Edited by thebridge

• 4 months later...

Yes, damage to the frame and weakening of the frame is a problem common with stippling. However, most of the people who screw up a frame don't advertise it. I've seen two total grip fractures along stipple lines in person. I've seen burn throughs and ones where no magazine would drop free. I've been able to repair a few, but some had to go back to Glock for a frame replacement.

I've not seen a frame failure from Accurate Iron, SJC or Cold Bore who are three of the notaeable companies doing frames mods like this. Just by the mere principle of how stippling is performed the altered material strength will be reduced some. Like anything else, there are some that do it well, some that do it marginally and some who should be banned from soldering irons in general.

Its why I stay away from it. Not that Im not capable, but w/ contineous feeding of 9mm major ammo my G17s might give and in my side of earth, Glock replacement of frames is virtually non-existent.

I prefer to use emery powder applied-sprinkled on an epoxy coating as in my avatar.