Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitty Litter

CSEMARTIN

I bought some brass off of the internet. In the bottom of the box, I found what looked like kitty litter. I've wondered ever since if the guy that sold me the brass used it to clean the brass.

Anyone ever try this before?

Chris

Chris,

The kitty litter products that I have seen are usually made from clay or what is called "fullers earth." Both are dirt products and it seems to me that they would break down eventually to sand. Perhaps someone has used them before??

dj

Some time ago I too thought about using it to clean brass (I have a cat and always a couple of bags of kitty litter at home).

I never gave it a try, because I felt that the litter could have been a bit too aggressive on the brass: you know, scratches, marks, and so on that I was afraid on the long run would have weakened my brass.

Maybe this works for a once-in-a-lifetime clean, such as before selling the brass, but I honestly don't know about using it regularly.

If you plan to experiment with litter, please keep us posted with results.

Still and all, the walnut media--even when used to the point where it's quite soiled--just doesn't seem to break down much (I put it under magnification, just to be sure). I also tried washing it and re-using it, but when it's dirty, it's dirty. And smell??!!!!! Gah!! Don't bother 'washing' walnut media (Lizard Litter to you pet care folks), even though it's a bit more costly than corn-cob media. Just replace it and enjoy the fact that it works well in the first place. :)

Some clown that my gunsmith knows got into the habit of washing his corn-cob media in a pillow case. (Like, why bother!!?? The stuff is cheaper than dirt, right...?) Well, one day the pillow case burst in the process and that was the last load of corn-cob media HE washed in the family washer/dryer units. :ph34r:

I have washed walnut-media several times.

But always in a bucket and that works okay for me.

By the way corn-cob media is not realy cheap overhere.

I also tried the corn-cob kitty litter, cheaper and it works.

Disadvantage was the amount of dust that it spread when sifting the brass.

Greetings

Adrie