Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

I would say my new 930 cycles about 98% of the time when I do it by hand. I have also noticed that if I have the buttstock against my leg or abdomen when I cycle the bolt, that it causes it to lock and not cycle. And to the question earlier about hitting the bolt release to hand cycle. DO NOT hit the bolt release if the bolt is locked back without a shell on the carrier. This will cause the shells to dump from the tube (a double feed) and it is a pain to get them back in the tube. I have only fired about 50 rounds with no probs at all. I have done practice loading drills every day for 30 min since getting the gun. So, I have probably loaded and cycled the bolt about 1500 times in just doing this alone. I would get the failure to hand cycle prob maybe 3 or 4 times during a trainig session. When it happens, first I make sure I didn't try to cycle with the buttstock held up against me (that is usually the case), then I just snatch the bolt handle back very hard and it usually cycles first try. I talked to several gunsmiths about this prob when I had it with my Remi. They all said the same thing. That no one can hand cycle with the speed and force of a firing shotgun and that hand cycling would never be 100% reliable on a semi-auto because of this. I did not exactly agree with that at first either. I have a Browning Special 12 that as someone else stated, you can't stop it from cycling if you pull the bolt back no matter how slow or soft you do it. But, aside from that particular gun, every other semi-auto I have used would not always cycle by hand.

Edited by RED357

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed from the previous pages that Benny stated that Mossberg should have a competition 930 ready for sale in about 1 year (post was from Nov of 2010). Does anyone know is this has actually happened yet?

I've been waiting for the same thing. If it doesn't happen at the SHOT show this January, I'm giving up on it and going down a different path. Don't quite know what that is yet though. Either mod the std 930, maybe the CZ 712, sell a kidney to get an SLP, or sell my soul to get an M2. I've got a freind that's going to the SHOT show that's going to try to get a straight answer out of them. I e-mailed Mossberg back in about October and they told me the gun would be ready next year, whether that's January or next December.....who knows, I asked and didn't get a reply. I guess they're too busy building the "Chainsaw" models and other novelty guns, to move forward with what we've all been waiting for, but then again, while we're gaining momentum, the 3-gun crowd probably isn't considered a huge market yet. All I know for sure is I need a new shotty by March, and with a kid coming in February, dropping $1500 isn't really an option (at least not one that will go over well with the spousal unit).

I noticed from the previous pages that Benny stated that Mossberg should have a competition 930 ready for sale in about 1 year (post was from Nov of 2010). Does anyone know is this has actually happened yet?

I've been waiting for the same thing. If it doesn't happen at the SHOT show this January, I'm giving up on it and going down a different path. Don't quite know what that is yet though. Either mod the std 930, maybe the CZ 712, sell a kidney to get an SLP, or sell my soul to get an M2. I've got a freind that's going to the SHOT show that's going to try to get a straight answer out of them. I e-mailed Mossberg back in about October and they told me the gun would be ready next year, whether that's January or next December.....who knows, I asked and didn't get a reply. I guess they're too busy building the "Chainsaw" models and other novelty guns, to move forward with what we've all been waiting for, but then again, while we're gaining momentum, the 3-gun crowd probably isn't considered a huge market yet. All I know for sure is I need a new shotty by March, and with a kid coming in February, dropping $1500 isn't really an option (at least not one that will go over well with the spousal unit).

I'll be at the Shot Show as well. I'll be sure to hold the thing and take pictures, and get the skinny from Mossberg.

Not sure what is wrong with your guy's guns, but my 930 will cycle by hand no matter what I do. Maybe I have a freak model, but it simple mechanics on how it works. As the bolt carrier reaches a certain point, it will hit the (sorry for not remembering the correct terminology) shell retainer lever and move it out of the way so that a shell will be pushed from the mag tube. You can force it to do this by taking the barrel, bolt group and trigger group out, and pressing it with your finger. My guess is that you have some build up behind the lever or you need to refit the lever as it is taking a large amount of force to open it up.

I still haven't had a chance to get out and fire it with the tube on it. So tore the gun down tonight and gave it very thorough cleaning.

After getting all the factory lube off and properly lubing it, it's now keeping a good grip on the rounds when it pulls them from the chamber but they are still not ejecting every time, and I'm cycling it very aggressively.

It's also still not popping the first round out of the tube with or without and empty chamber.

Well I finally got tired of waiting. Found a brand new M2 for under $1k and pulled the trigger. My buddy is building himself a 930 though so I'll still get a chance to try one.

Has anyone polished the bolt and chamber? If so, could you post some photos?

My 930 is almost done, having a rear sight dovetail and sight installed.

There isn't a reason to polish the bolt as it does not contact any surfaces in the gun, however the bolt carrier should be done. I file, sand, polish all contact surfaces. If I get a chance to rip my own this evening, I will post pictures...

Not sure what is wrong with your guy's guns, but my 930 will cycle by hand no matter what I do. Maybe I have a freak model, but it simple mechanics on how it works. As the bolt carrier reaches a certain point, it will hit the (sorry for not remembering the correct terminology) shell retainer lever and move it out of the way so that a shell will be pushed from the mag tube. You can force it to do this by taking the barrel, bolt group and trigger group out, and pressing it with your finger. My guess is that you have some build up behind the lever or you need to refit the lever as it is taking a large amount of force to open it up.

I still haven't had a chance to get out and fire it with the tube on it. So tore the gun down tonight and gave it very thorough cleaning.

After getting all the factory lube off and properly lubing it, it's now keeping a good grip on the rounds when it pulls them from the chamber but they are still not ejecting every time, and I'm cycling it very aggressively.

It's also still not popping the first round out of the tube with or without and empty chamber.

I've started a new thread for this.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142693

But here is the updated video, minus cycling like a sissy. :rolleyes:

We'll know after the 17th (SHOT show) or we'll wait longer.

I plan to not only photograph the hell out of this gun, but get a video of whatever Mossberg rep is present giving me thier promises for the release to retail.

Awesome I need a new 3 gun shotgun and holding out for the new 930 hoepfully the old one will make it that long :)

I have been saving so long for this gun to come out I bought a new Benelli with all the addons. To long with no info and with all the trouble people are having just getting a non ported barrel sounds like no one has a clue over there.

Edited by Bluetip84

I got tired of waiting and just bought an M2 as well. That makes three of us in one week, just on this board, that have given our money to their competitors. I hope someone over at Mossberg is tracking this thread. You snooze.....you lose.

Working on this shotgun has been a lot of fun so far. The loading port went so well that I am debating the need to even weld the lifter. Polishing various parts here and there have resulted in an overall better "feel" when I cycle the gun too. I am fortunate enough to posses the equipment and knowledge to do a lot of this stuff on my own and if I had access to a lathe and the tooling, I wouldn't hesitate take a stab at the barrel work. My Nordic tube should be here this week and I'll probably shoot it with the barrel at 28" in a local match next weekend. After that, it makes a trip down to Benny Hill for shortening to 22".

post-14033-0-22451500-1325788306_thumb.j

Working on this shotgun has been a lot of fun so far. The loading port went so well that I am debating the need to even weld the lifter. Polishing various parts here and there have resulted in an overall better "feel" when I cycle the gun too. I am fortunate enough to posses the equipment and knowledge to do a lot of this stuff on my own and if I had access to a lathe and the tooling, I wouldn't hesitate take a stab at the barrel work. My Nordic tube should be here this week and I'll probably shoot it with the barrel at 28" in a local match next weekend. After that, it makes a trip down to Benny Hill for shortening to 22".

Impressive... what else did you polish? Anything similar to David's work?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142693&view=findpost&p=1605064

Impressive... what else did you polish? Anything similar to David's work?

I did not see David's post, but now that I have......

Really, all I have polished up so far is the follower, the recoil spring plunger, the inside of the recoil spring housing and the slide assembly. I have a buffer and an assortment of buffing wheels and buffing compounds that make it fairly easy. I did just a little gentle polish job on the slide assembly so as not to change the tolerances too much, but I was pretty aggressive with the follower and recoil spring housing and plunger.

Edited by JKW

Hello Gents, I have read all 36 pages of this thread, I feel a need to have one. But would like to know if the pistol grip stock has a lower comb height than the regular stock? Its hard to tell looking at pics and I have none in my area to handle. thanks, even an educated guess would be better than nothing. thanks guys!!!!

But would like to know if the pistol grip stock has a lower comb height than the regular stock?

I'm not sure what your goals are but pistol grips do not seem to be popular with to many shooters at the top of the heap.

David E.