Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Anyone have any suggestions for this?

I will offer a likely obvious and probably worthless suggestion for consideration: It is possible that the shell release/retainer piece is sticking a bit. Consider a drop of oil in there to possibly increase movement so that it does its job. Next consideration might be the "polishing" rec that we so frequently see.

Lubrication can make so many things more functional and pleasant.

I will offer a likely obvious and probably worthless suggestion for consideration: It is possible that the shell release/retainer piece is sticking a bit. Consider a drop of oil in there to possibly increase movement so that it does its job. Next consideration might be the "polishing" rec that we so frequently see.

Thanks Benny, I'll take a look at the shell stop parts tonight.

Polishing rec?

My sisters call me Benny-Boy, don't hear it much outside of family get togethers. The real Benny on this thread may have some suggestions. Mine would be mindless: get it out & look for burrs/roughness/yuckiness and conservatively Dremel anything yucky with felt & judiciously prudent wisdom. I would suggest not to do it while drunk and with a belt sander, but you might have thought of that already. I never do until the next morning.

Thanks Benny, I'll take a look at the shell stop parts tonight.

Polishing rec?

I'm lazy. I'd try the oil first.

LOL sorry I was reading responding from my phone and when I saw "ben" I assumed Triangle's Ben. :blush:

I'll check the shell stop first, but seeing as I'm not the only one to run into this problem, I'm betting there is something more attributed to design going on here.

So you should be able to do that with out hitting release button?

PS: where is best place to buy dummy rounds?

With a round in the chamber, and / or rounds in the magazine tube, you should be able to pull back the charging handle (briskly) and cycle every remaining round from the gun.

This is where I get my dummy rounds. They are practically real rounds. The best ones I have found to practice speed loading and function test.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31872/psize=48/Product/SHOTGUN-DUMMIES

The day I got my 930 I began shoving dummy rounds in it to get the feel for loading and test out the action. I was having some issues, like shells being doubled up in it or not ejecting. This was all cycling by hand. The next day I took it to the indoor range the day I got it. I put 25 shells through it without a hitch. I figured it just needed some break in.

Evil,

I found that once the rims on the dummy rounds get beat up, they become somewhat finicky when hand cycled and could lead you to work on non-existent problems. I almost trimmed my Nordic spring too short because of this. Fortunately I was removing small enough sections that I realized that something other than spring pressure was at fault. I just use the dummies for loading practice and use the button to release them. So far, I have yet to have any issues with live ammo.

Later,

Chuck

I used a batch of brand new dummy rounds (bottom of the box) and they still failed to feed properly and failed to eject most of the time.

Take this with humor in mind.

Youre cycling it like a little girl.

Your gun works exactly like I would expect a 930 to work without many rounds down the pipe, a mag spring cut on the long side, un-polished shell holder parts, shells with more friction than brass, and maybe not enough lubrication.

Since you know the gun cycles fine when shooting, the "problem" is one and/or both; the dummy shells have more friction, you are not cycling it hard/fast enough.

If you are going to shoot a stage with an empty gun start, you would be picking the gun up with your strong (right hand in your case) and while bringing the gun up and reaching over the top to cycle it with bottom of the palm on your weak hand. This should be a very aggressive cycling.

An alternative is to start the stage with the action open and while bringing the gun up, strong hand again, load a shell in the chamber weak hand. If there is no limit on shotgun capacity this is a great time to get at least one extra round in the gun if not more.

So you know it works when shooting, you need to cycle it with the same speed and force it has when shooting.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

ok, i guess i'll have to make a video to prove this. again, the manual from mossberg that comes with the 930 specifically lays out how to load the gun. it does NOT say you can rack a round from the tube into the chamber...period. now, benny built my gun and it cannot cycle rounds by hand with shit shells. it works every time with AA's, but forget dummy rounds, walmart shit and even rem my sts. but in all cases the gun feeds when shot. bizarre.

...I used a batch of brand new dummy rounds (bottom of the box) and they still failed to feed properly and failed to eject most of the time.

Well how the hell can it work if you haven't taken the sticker off? Sheesh...

I agree, and no offense....in the vid you are cycling it too weakly for a new gun.

it does NOT say you can rack a round from the tube into the chamber...period.

Meaning it doesn't work? Or that you shouldn't expect it to work? Does this omission mean that I have a defective gun, since mine hand cycles? Holy Cow, my gun is busted!

The manual says nothing about hand cycling. No-thing. Neither for, nor against, possible, impossible, "Not designed to", or "Warning, do not do this!". The manual is mute on this issue.

ok, i guess i'll have to make a video to prove this. again, the manual from mossberg that comes with the 930 specifically lays out how to load the gun. it does NOT say you can rack a round from the tube into the chamber...period. now, benny built my gun and it cannot cycle rounds by hand with shit shells. it works every time with AA's, but forget dummy rounds, walmart shit and even rem my sts. but in all cases the gun feeds when shot. bizarre.

OK, my spring from Nordic is 35 and 1/2 inches long, I didn't mess with the ends, just cut and stuck it in. It eats everything, loads/racks/ejects no issues. It has a +5 Nordic for a total of 9 in the tube when full, the 24" non-ported barrel. Check out this vid I just shot a few minutes ago loading and racking nine... I assume a Marine is not gurlie-racking it, so I'd have it worked on till it works like mine! (which is bone-stock: no polishing of anything at all. It's 2 years old now too.)

Enjoy!

Christian Eidsmoen

Take this with humor in mind.

You’re cycling it like a little girl.

Your gun works exactly like I would expect a 930 to work without many rounds down the pipe, a mag spring cut on the long side, un-polished shell holder parts, shells with more friction than brass, and maybe not enough lubrication.

Since you know the gun cycles fine when shooting, the "problem" is one and/or both; the dummy shells have more friction, you are not cycling it hard/fast enough.

If you are going to shoot a stage with an empty gun start, you would be picking the gun up with your strong (right hand in your case) and while bringing the gun up and reaching over the top to cycle it with bottom of the palm on your weak hand. This should be a very aggressive cycling.

An alternative is to start the stage with the action open and while bringing the gun up, strong hand again, load a shell in the chamber weak hand. If there is no limit on shotgun capacity this is a great time to get at least one extra round in the gun if not more.

So you know it works when shooting, you need to cycle it with the same speed and force it has when shooting.

David E.

I figured that would come up. All my testing before, was standing and I was cycling it much more aggressively with the same result. Making the video, I was working from my knees and it was 3:00AM but I promise you no matter how hard I was cycling it it was acting the same way.

Maybe the gun does need to be broken in. I just dread the first match I show up for next season and have to fuss with this thing.

snip

That's a 24" barrel with a +5 extension?

Yes

Why wouldn't you be able to rack a round from the tube on a empty chamber? Most stages I shoot start you this way, and since the bolt doesn't hold open with the tube full I don't know how you could quickly pop one in as you start the stage.

Same experience here as Outerlimits. I've got a couple thousand rounds through my 930 and it cycles every time when firing and I only use low recoi8l bird and Fiocchi low recoil slugs. However, hand cycling on an empty chamber just doesn't work consistently no matter what I try (shim, etc.,). It's only been a problem lately on 'cruiser ready' stages where I get hosed trying to cycle an empty chamber / full tube gun.

What's odd is that for the first year I had it (about 800 rounds), hand cycling worked consistently (sporting clays, load two in the tube, hand cycle). Then it just stopped. Would love to figure out the secret-sauce to making it work.

I've thought of sending it to Mossberg for repair, but since it's uber reliable when shooting . . . .don't want that to get messed up. ..

Not sure what is wrong with your guy's guns, but my 930 will cycle by hand no matter what I do. Maybe I have a freak model, but it simple mechanics on how it works. As the bolt carrier reaches a certain point, it will hit the (sorry for not remembering the correct terminology) shell retainer lever and move it out of the way so that a shell will be pushed from the mag tube. You can force it to do this by taking the barrel, bolt group and trigger group out, and pressing it with your finger. My guess is that you have some build up behind the lever or you need to refit the lever as it is taking a large amount of force to open it up.

I sent an email to Mossberg's customer service on Friday and have yet to hear anything back. How long do they normally take to answer questions?

I got a message back once that to so long, I forgot I sent it

I have the chance to get a NIB 930 SPX with 18.5" barrel for cheap. What if I just took that barrel and threaded it and put extended chokes in it to get a 20+" barrel? Would it pattern close enough to a 22" barrel to justify buying it? New to the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the chance to get a NIB 930 SPX with 18.5" barrel for cheap. What if I just took that barrel and threaded it and put extended chokes in it to get a 20+" barrel? Would it pattern close enough to a 22" barrel to justify buying it? New to the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it will.

Barrel length by itself has no affect on the pattern, its all in the choke constriction.

I would guess the pattern would be very close to a 22" gun.

My 18 ½” cyl barrel Winchester patterns very close to my 24” 930 with a cyl choke.

To be competitive you will need a mag tube upgrade for min of 8+1 (9+1 or 10+1 is better). Many don't like the ghost ring sights, not sure how hard/cost to change them or what’s involved with removing the monster front sight. The SPX sights are high off the gun; I would guess you would not have a cheek weld when using them which would make you slower on fast stuff. Along with this, the barrel does not have a rib which many shooters prefer for fast shooting and shooting clays in the air.

So you would most likely need the same upgrade on the SPX as you would another model except the sights and lack of rib may make a difference to you.

David E.

I sent an email to Mossberg's customer service on Friday and have yet to hear anything back. How long do they normally take to answer questions?

I'm not sure they actually answer their email. I waited about 3 weeks after the last time I sent an email and just broke down and called.