Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Cast Bullets

JxMAN25

Buy in BULK. 1 Case minimum on bullets (6 case order from Manny USA is the way to go for Montana Gold which gets about to what I can buy lead locally for), group buys on Powder and Primers to save on Hazmat.

Dont forget to factor shipping cost. A lot of the lead bullet co's dont include shipping.

I attached a price comparison I did with Precision Delta, Precision Moly, Montana gold, BBI, Two Alpha Lead and Bayou.

To me, BBI bullets seem to be the best deal for what you get. Less mess and smoke than lead, at lead prices.

Book21.zip

Buy in BULK. 1 Case minimum on bullets (6 case order from Manny USA is the way to go for Montana Gold which gets about to what I can buy lead locally for), group buys on Powder and Primers to save on Hazmat.

Dont forget to factor shipping cost. A lot of the lead bullet co's dont include shipping.

I attached a price comparison I did with Precision Delta, Precision Moly, Montana gold, BBI, Two Alpha Lead and Bayou.

To me, BBI bullets seem to be the best deal for what you get. Less mess and smoke than lead, at lead prices.

Thanks for the info! How long ago did you prepare this? Thanks again...

ok thanks guys. I saw a video on youtube about a guy who says he can reload .357 for $2-$3 for a box of 50 bullets. He also said you can find 1000 lead cast bullets for around $30 where can i find such a good deal?

Also would it be cheaper for me to by moly coated lead bullets? if so where? thanks again

Edited by JxMAN25

Thirty bucks a thousand? I haven't seen them that cheap for several years. Did you happen to notice the date on the video? Yea, I had a local caster that was in the 30 to 35 a thousand range for 9mm but that was before the price of lead went stupid high.

Manny's advertised prices are really tempting but it is difficult to get six other shooters that want to go in on a group buy at the same time as you. Or that are using the same bullet type that you are interested in. And Lord knows that I cannot afford to purchase 6 cases of bullets at the time!

The cheapest cast lead bullets Ive found is Sundance Bullets.

Sundance Bullets' quality is great and their prices are superb! The best part is that they are right here in Colorado. Though I now shoot Precision Delta in matches, I still use the Sundance 135gr bullets for practice.

Edited to add: http://sundancebullets.com/

Edited by Cy Soto

i think it was in 2008. do you know of an indevidual that sells lead cast bullets?

Buy bullets from a commercially licensed FFL. Individuals that sell make and sell bullets without having the proper FFL are operating illegally.

Even in 2008, selling cast bullets for $30 per thousand is just plain stupid. That leads me to believe they are not properly licensed.

Individuals that sell make and sell bullets without having the proper FFL are operating illegally.

I was under the impression that you only needed an FFL if you were selling assembled cartridges but not if you were manufacturing just the projectile.

So does this mean that any person casting lead bullets in their garage is infringing upon the law? Or do they fall into an exemption clause as long as they are not profiting from the sale of the item?

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Cy Soto

Manny's advertised prices are really tempting but it is difficult to get six other shooters that want to go in on a group buy at the same time as you. Or that are using the same bullet type that you are interested in. And Lord knows that I cannot afford to purchase 6 cases of bullets at the time!

If you call him, you can order one case at a time.

The 6 case price is ANY 6 cases. Not 6 of 1 type. (just did a group buy with 10 cases).

I know its hard to get guys to do it, its taken me 4 months to find enough guys. But i wasnt hard up for bullets so I could wait to save some money. Then 2 weeks after your order, they tell you that they just bought 1 case from Montana gold directly for $300. Hmm.. guess they dont like saving $30.

Sundance is only $2 cheaper than BBI for 3K 147gr 9mm bullets when you consider shipping cost.

Edited by DWFAN

Individuals that sell make and sell bullets without having the proper FFL are operating illegally.

I was under the impression that you only needed an FFL if you were selling assembled cartridges but not if you were manufacturing just the projectile.

So does this mean that any person casting lead bullets in their garage is infringing upon the law? Or do they fall into an exemption clause as long as they are not profiting from the sale of the item?

No, reloading for personal use only is not manufacturing ammunition and does not require an FFL.

According to the Gun Control Act of 1968, ammunition includes loaded cartridges and individual components (see 27 CFR 478.11 for definitions). For purposes of the Act, bullets (cast, machined, swaged, any manner of manufacturing methods) are ammunition. The manufacture of such, including casting lead alloy bullets, for consideration (legal term for sale, trade, barter, exchange, compensation, et al) is the act of manufacturing for livelihood and profit. Even selling at cost or charging labor only is forbidden without the manufacturing FFL. The ATF considers it an attempt to make profit, therefore falling under the law. This also applies to the gun show reloaders that sell their reloads at gun shows without a license. There is no exemption for selling just at gun shows and they are doing so illegally. Gunbroker is full of guys selling their reloads without a license. Anyone can make up a fancy label, buy the packaging, and make up a business type name for their reloads. Very few licensed reloaders sell on Gunbroker. Some people think that if you are reloading fired brass you don't need an FFL and that is completely false.

Sure there are many people and outfits that are casting bullets, swaging bullets, and making ammo without the proper FFL. If and when the ATF catches up with them, they will not be nice as they take violations like that very seriously. I on the other hand, have the proper licensing for my company.

The manufacturing FFL types are:

06 Manufacturer of ammunition for firearms other than destructive devices

07 Manufacturer of firearms other than destructive devices (also allowed to manufacture ammunition for the same)

10 Manufacturer of destructive devices and ammunition for destructive devices (also allowed to manufacture "normal" firearms and ammunition for the same)

06 is ammo only. 07 is firearms and ammo (plus dealer privileges). 10 is everything (aka "the super license")

Edited by freakshow10mm

Sundance is only $2 cheaper than BBI for 3K 147gr 9mm bullets when you consider shipping cost.

It's a little bit more than that. Sundance charges $11 for shipping up to 70 lbs which is to say that you can ship receive 3,000 147gr in the same box for the same price. Ordering 3,000 bullets from BBI costs $195 and the same quantity from Sundance comes to $182 ($171 for 3,000 bullets + $11 shipping).

It is true that the price difference is only $13 but IMO cleaning moly from the barrel is not any easier tan cleaning lead. And in my very limited experience, they smoke about the same too.

Sundance website charged me $22 in shipping for 3K 147gr. So thats all I have to go off of.

Good point; I hadn't thought about the fact that these are 147gr bullets.

If I remember correctly, I was told by the owner that they limit their shipping weight to 50 lbs. This assures that the box doesn't get damaged in transit and its content lost. 3,000 147gr bullets will weight approximately 63 lbs which means that they'll ship 2,000 in one box and the other 1,000 in a separate box.

No, the person making and using them from his/her garage is not breaking the law, only those that sell them without a type 6 FFL.

Try Space Coast Bullets in Titusville, FL. I get lead 40 S&W 180 grain TCN bullets from them for about $70 per 1,000. I don't know what they would charge for shipping, as I usually run down there and pick them up. 9mm will probably be a bit cheaper.

Edit to add: I just went to their website, they are showing 9mm 147gr FP at $58.50 per box of 1,000.

http://www.spacecoastbullets.com/

Plus, they have a cool ass logo! :cheers:

post-18733-026190000 1287934834_thumb.jp

Edited by GrumpyOne