Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Cleaning Question

STInky

Hey Guys/gals....

I recently got my first STI Edge in hard-chrome, and after my shooting it and cleaning it, the slide does not feel as smooth when operated by hand as it did before I cleaned it. I cleaned it with Breakfree, then put some white-grease synthetic lube on the rails. My pistol has the RecoilMaster guide rod, and I even gave it a shot of breakfree for lubrication. Any ideas ????

I just remember being thoroughly impressed with the glass-like action when I first got the STI....maybe I just need to compare it to one of my other pistols to see how good it still is.

Thanks

STInky....

I sent a pistol once to a gunsmith to have it nickel plated (nickel cobalt finish) and I took it back full of Wynn's.

That thing seems to work too, but I found the slide glide to be a real part in pistol control.

It really helps to tame the recoil, at least felt recoil.

The only drawback is that's it's so good that I'll have to order more soon :D

After 8000 rounds and using only break free and I am very happy with my factory Executive and the gun runs & runs. I do clean it however after every shooting. No ware to be seen! Old John **P.S. My STI rear sight just failed at the hinge pin. Buying a bomar ASAP!!!!! STI did say that if I sent it to them they would fix it but would not pay for the smith I rencently purchased it from to repair it?? Guess that's why I love the JP rifle so much. **SUPPORT**

My STI rear sight just failed at the hinge pin. **SUPPORT**

Dude! Join the club, mine sheared last week. STI sent me a pin, but they are just as brittle and flimsy looking as the one that snapped... also a bugger to get in because of how hard it is to try to compress the internal spring that the head of the pin has to get by to go through.

FWIW: the pin is .069" diameter. I took my calipers and found a bright steel finish nail that was .070 (very tough steel, a little softer so not brittle). I filed the groove ring in the middle where the spring has to snap in, filed a cone shape on one end to push past the spring, and then whacked it in. Filed off the ends flush and the pin is now certified indestructable.

I have switched over to the Pro-Tec Grease & Oil. Like all the other greases out there I don't use it on slide & frame rails when it is under about 40 degrees. At lower temps. I use their oil on slide & frame rails. But, I have found that I can run the Pro-Tec grease on my comp sleeves at the lower temps. with no problems. I have also found that the Pro-Tec grease is the ONLY grease that will stay on the comp sleeve of my STI with 2 hybrid holes. Treating the comp sleeve like a clock and looking down in the hybrid holes I will lose just a little grease from 11:00 to 1:00 only. I have shot entire matches (5 to 6 stages) (125 to 150 rds.) and the Pro-Tec grease will still be white in color on the comp sleeve.

Pro-Tec also makes the best bore cleaner (solvent) I have used.

Here is a link to their web site. It is worth you time to check out their grease,oil & bore cleaner. ;)

Pro-Tec