Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo Nationals Made a new GM!

The Revolver Nationals are out, and Jerry did it again. Won the match. Won 6 of the 18 stages. And finished no worse than 9th in any stage. WTG Jerry!

And it looks as though Josh Lentz is the newest GM in revolver!

Josh finished in fourth place overall, top Master, at 95.16% to Jerry Miculek's return to the top position. Finishing with a GM score in a National event should put Josh into the books as the newest Revolver GM. WTG Josh!

Comment on the match scoring:

The preliminary results that came out earlier in the week were quite misleading, because the squad that Jerry M was on [along with a number of other GM revo shooters] had considerably fewer points available to earn in the six stages that they shot on Friday. That point differential had Elliot Aysen in the lead on raw points both Thursday and Friday nights, with others in the squad Elliot was on also high in the preliminary match summaries. However, if you took the available point differentials into consideration, Jerry was posting better scores both days. And when the dust settled on Saturday, with all the points counted, JM ended up on top once again.

Congrats to all 22 revo shooters who participated! And a special shout-out to Sarah Irish, who traded in her Open gun [after shooting in the Open-L10 Nationals] for one with only 6 bullets in it at a time, and kept her parents Sue and Steve company through the LPR Nationals.

Place Name USPSA Class PF Lady Mil Law Age Match Pts Match %

1 Jerry Miculek TY15336 GM Major 1680.7297 100.00%

2 MATT R GRIFFIN TY50704 GM Major 1671.2317 99.43%

3 DAVID OLHASSO L2562 GM Major 1626.2809 96.76%

4 JOSH E LENTZ A62444 M Major 1599.4413 95.16%

5 JOHN BAGAKIS TY52647 GM Major 1542.7188 91.79%

6 Mike Carmoney A23819 M Major 1512.7570 90.01%

7 ELLIOT C AYSEN A51411 GM Major Senior 1486.8381 88.46%

8 CLIFF R WALSH L2519 GM Major 1443.0821 85.86%

9 CHAD RAUSCH TY2690 U Major 1394.6626 82.98%

10 David Parker TY53502 GM Major 1387.5424 82.56%

11 Gregg Kratochvil TY55988 A Major Senior 1301.0696 77.41%

12 BRET A DRAUGHN TY51084 B Major 1210.7499 72.04%

13 Robert Perdue A27392 M Major Senior 1148.9181 68.36%

14 ANNETTE AYSEN A51367 A Major X 1134.6555 67.51%

15 Seiichi Ishiigawa A54704 U Minor 1129.4514 67.20%

16 ROBERT A BURKINDINE L3234 B Major 1031.3329 61.36%

17 RICHARD E TIMBERLAKE A4438 B Major Super Senior 929.8702 55.33%

18 TOM FRENKEL L532 B Major Super Senior 840.8642 50.03%

19 SARAH C IRISH TY54900 U Minor X 809.2793 48.15%

20 HOWARD HOLZER JR L1843 M Major Super Senior 782.5153 46.56%

21 SUE IRISH A56371 C Major X 725.3241 43.16%

DQ STEVEN C IRISH A54959 B Major 0.0000 0.00%

Despite the class inflation we have seen recently in Revolver Division (some people have obviously figured out how to hand-select the "right" classifiers and shoot and/or reshoot them in order to make themselves instant GMs), Josh can legitimately lay claim to the title of Grand Master.

Josh shot a great match, and finished Nationals at over 95% of Jerry's winning score. That's the best way to make GM, in my book. Way to go!

Despite the class inflation we have seen recently in Revolver Division (some people have obviously figured out how to hand-select the "right" classifiers and shoot and/or reshoot them in order to make themselves instant GMs), Josh can legitimately lay claim to the title of Grand Master.

Josh shot a great match, and finished Nationals at over 95% of Jerry's winning score. That's the best way to make GM, in my book. Way to go!

Mike,,

not to take anything away from Josh,I had the pleasure of shooting with him as the SC,state match,boy he is good..

back to my question,DID MATT wear the HAT you like at the nat's.

Yeah, we were talking quite a bit about how the revolver guys all have their special trademark......

Dan had the pith helmet.

Cliff has his skirts and thongs.

Matt has the dandy straw hat.

I suggested to John Bagakis that since people are starting to forget the bucket incident (which occurred several years back when Josh was still in junior high) he should think about wearing a greek fisherman's cap while he shoots.

Yeah, we were talking quite a bit about how the revolver guys all have their special trademark......

Dan had the pith helmet.

Cliff has his skirts and thongs.

Matt has the dandy straw hat.

I suggested to John Bagakis that since people are starting to forget the bucket incident (which occurred several years back when Josh was still in junior high) he should think about wearing a greek fisherman's cap while he shoots.

Hmm, we had a different suggestion after Friday night, but I'm going to let that Stay in Vegas.

H.

Hey Matt, just wanted to say congrats on 2nd at the Nats, you shot a great match! With tendonitis, no less! Way to go Josh, too! Wish I could of been there with you guys, but the reloading room is coming along nicely, I just had a nice driveway put it to ease bullet delivery. Now if I could just figure out how this whole powder thing works...

Thanks, I couldn't quite fix the damage I did in the first ten stages fast enough, I finally got the mental game back around then. My arm, thanks to a cortisone shot a few weeks ago, feels perfect, so while I was pretty low on practice, I didn't have any pain at the match. I can only blame my lack of discipline, I earned every bad shot I made. But didn't make up every bad shot I earned. :-(

H.

From the National Classifier Course Book:

In addition, if the competitor shoots an Area Championship

or major tournament and wins first or second in

a class higher than his or her current classification, the

member may be promoted to that higher class, except for

Grand Master.

From the National Classifier Course Book:

In addition, if the competitor shoots an Area Championship

or major tournament and wins first or second in

a class higher than his or her current classification, the

member may be promoted to that higher class, except for

Grand Master.

Last year. 4 shooters made GM based on shooting 95% or higher at nationals. Matt went from A to GM.

If you are reffering to someone who just made GM in 4 classifiers ( and kept it up with his 5th) I can say that having been there and knowing the man for quite some time, no he did not shoot and reshoot them to make it. He also did it with a 4" GP 100, with speedloaders and shot minor. As someone who has shot many matches over the last 3 years to work my way from just making "C" class in 2007 to "A" class now, I do not share the percieved jealosy as stated above, but think that it's pretty cool that someone can be that good. I also have seen him take any gun, revo or bottom feeder, and shoot a match cold with an unfamilliar gun and proceed to kick butt and take names. Yes Josh can lay claim to "GM", I know him as well and he's a great revo shooter, but so is the man you seem to doubt. Coinsider this my personal invite to you Sir, to come to Caswell Ranch anytime (I'll pay your entry fee even) and shoot a match with us, and you can see for yourself how good he is, heck, I just might give you a good run for the money as a lowly "A" class just for spite.

Thanks everyone for the Congrats

I talked to Mike Voigt after the match and he said i will NOT be bumped to GM. He said i should call the office and see if they will move me. :angry2:

I think there is an age limit for Revo GM's

Also Congrats to Matt(Crazy Legs)Griffin for shotting 99%

Well, John Z., I was not picking on anyone in particular. And this is not the first time I have raised this issue. Ask Dave Parker, I'm sure he feels like I've been on his ass for the exact same thing ever since he made instant GM several years ago! And I completely agree that it would be totally unfair to criticize Dave P., your friend at Caswell, or anyone else who made instant GM by shooting the correct classifiers (as long as they didn't intentionally control and manipulate the process in order to Grandbag, of course).

My criticism is against the inconsistency of the classification system as currently operated. Until the 03-series classifiers came out, Jerry was the only GM and it was almost impossible for anybody else to even make Master. The high hit factors were artificially high, because they were figured as some arbitrary percentage of those calculated in Limited. They were too hard. Then all of a sudden, the 03-series classifiers hit, then the 06s, and so on, and it appears that every generation of classifiers has lower and lower high hit factors for Revo. Blammo--people started making GM literally overnight--and some of them were clearly not even in the same league as the top A and M Revo shooters, much less capable of running with Jerry. Many of the newer classifiers are now too easy.

That's what I mean when I refer to "class inflation" in this division. If you want to be a GM in Revolver and you have pretty decent basic wheelgun skills, all you have to do is shoot the right classifiers (those that are 6-round-neutral from the 03-series and up), get decent runs, and you're probably going to make it GM. But--if you can't perform at a true GM level at major matches, how meaningful is it really?

Let me go on record here, before I say anything else: Dave Parker is a good guy, and he deserves props for winning two stages at the technically-toughest and hardest-fought USPSA Nationals ever. That's enough to satisfy any lingering doubt in my mind about whether he deserves the GM rank. Josh Lentz (the topic of this thread) is one hell of a revolver shooter, and unquestionably worthy of the title GM, assuming they bump him up as the others got bumped last year. I'm glad I beat him in Memphis last year, because I may not be able to beat him ever again!

I've never seen your Caswell friend shoot. If he's the real deal, we'll see that in his performance at major matches soon enough. If he doesn't shoot major matches, he can prove his capability by beating most of the Limited and Open shooters at local matches, like many of the top Revolver guys do pretty routinely. If it turns out that your Caswell friend isn't up to that level yet, then he is the victim of a classification system that has him improperly ranked--it would certainly not be the first time, and it would certainly not be his fault.

I hope this clarifies my views on this topic. The bottom line, I guess, is this: It's not personal. I was really only trying to give Josh the credit he deserves. I hope this whole sideline discussion doesn't take anything away from that.

Edited by Carmoney

I talked to Mike Voigt after the match and he said i will NOT be bumped to GM.

That's totally goofy! Last year everybody who finished at 95%+ got administratively moved straight to GM. Why would this year be different?

See what I mean, folks? Total inconsistency in the system.

Yes, Mike I picked one of those 03 classifiers to help you and JOSH out on the quest for GM. :devil:

BUT,

Josh has deffered his attendance until Mommy let's him come and play again. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I want to congratulate everyone who attended the USPSA Nationals and Jerry for regaining his title. (Hard fought).

See some of you in 2 weeks at Memphis.

HOP

Mike, the guy is that good, ask Jerry about him from years ago. And yes, you are right, this is about giving Josh his credit, heck, I texted him as soon as I saw the results. I even went so far as to tell Josh that from now on, I would never make refference to his age (or lack thereof) (( sorry Josh, last one)) again!! I agree with you on the system, but at least it's way better than the 90 round sandbagger system in the other game (which I shoot as well and work many matches, so I feel I have the right to say that in a non-bashing sort of way). The offer still stands my friend, any time you are heading towards NC, let us know and we would be happy to have you join us, I think I still have some of Otis's "Silver Bullets" left over from his last time to the house, he probably forgot them by now.

Yes, Mike I picked one of those 03 classifiers to help you and JOSH out on the quest for GM. :devil:

BUT,

Josh has deffered his attendance until Mommy let's him come and play again. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I want to congratulate everyone who attended the USPSA Nationals and Jerry for regaining his title. (Hard fought).

See some of you in 2 weeks at Memphis.

HOP

I did promise Josh no more age remarks, glad you other revo's can keep it up !!!!

Edited by John Z Sr

I would love someone to explain why Josh is not going to be a GM and why Dave, Matt, Devon, and John were last year. Last year, they were only 95% of me. Surely shooting 95% of the best ever is worthy of GM status.

I would love someone to explain why Josh is not going to be a GM and why Dave, Matt, Devon, and John were last year. Last year, they were only 95% of me. Surely shooting 95% of the best ever is worthy of GM status.

And modest, too!

The offer still stands my friend, any time you are heading towards NC, let us know and we would be happy to have you join us, I think I still have some of Otis's "Silver Bullets" left over from his last time to the house, he probably forgot them by now.

Sounds great, John Z. I'll take you up on both the shooting match and the after-match bullets the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. :cheers:

The offer still stands my friend, any time you are heading towards NC, let us know and we would be happy to have you join us, I think I still have some of Otis's "Silver Bullets" left over from his last time to the house, he probably forgot them by now.

Sounds great, John Z. I'll take you up on both the shooting match and the after-match bullets the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. :cheers:

You got it my friend, just don't tell Otis I gave you his "ammo", I'll buy him some more when he comes up for the Carolina Cup in June