Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo Nationals Made a new GM!

Thanks everyone for the Congrats

I talked to Mike Voigt after the match and he said i will NOT be bumped to GM. He said i should call the office and see if they will move me. :angry2:

I think there is an age limit for Revo GM's

Also Congrats to Matt(Crazy Legs)Griffin for shotting 99%

I look forward to the USPSA Office looking at the judgements that were made in the past, and you receiving the move to GM based on your performance.

Hey, you can move me back to A, I won't squeal. I always enjoyed beating GMs as an A more than I do as a GM, anyway. More demoralizing.

And to Mike's point, I don't think I've ever shot a classifier better than 80% or so, they just don't reflect the skills needed in a real match, much less a major. Classifiers are like shooting GSSF or steel challenge, which USPSA ain't.

And now, some math:

2009 Me: 96% of the best ever, Cliff Walsh, at 100%. Ergo in 2010, with Cliff at 85% of my 99%, we get Awesomefactor(1.00/.96)= 1.041*AssWhuppin(.99/.85)=1.164 for a total of

121%. I hope you all enjoy being C class from now on.

H.

Edited by Houngan

Looks and sounds like this was one heck of a match.

Congratulations to Josh, hope you make GM if you want to. To be so young and have so much talent, Wow.

Pretty impressive that the top 8 were all Master, or better, scores of Jerry in the pressure cooker of a Nationals.

Darn Matt 1 NS cost a Title, the level of talent is just going to keep getting deeper I'm sure.

The race is going to be on now! Sharks in the pool everywhere.

One noshoot, one mike, one more mistake by Jerry, I'm trying not to go crazy over it. Jerry can say the same thing about last year, and it's a heck of a lot more to him than to me. I had low expectations coming in, so I'm still pleased with the results. It would have been nice to cross it off my list a year early, but that's life.

H.

One noshoot, one mike, one more mistake by Jerry, I'm trying not to go crazy over it. Jerry can say the same thing about last year, and it's a heck of a lot more to him than to me. I had low expectations coming in, so I'm still pleased with the results. It would have been nice to cross it off my list a year early, but that's life.

H.

I'll bet, but look at it another way also. You know you can do it, for so long it seemed impossible. Now you, Josh, Cliff and others have shown it is within reach. If you have the skill and dedication to pursue it.

Just as in years past TGO was so dominant, but still beatable. I'm sure Jerry will still win a LOT, but his days of spanking everyone so soundly may be over. And that's good for the sport.

So don't go crazy, revel in your success.

Despite the class inflation we have seen recently in Revolver Division (some people have obviously figured out how to hand-select the "right" classifiers and shoot and/or reshoot them in order to make themselves instant GMs), Josh can legitimately lay claim to the title of Grand Master.

Josh shot a great match, and finished Nationals at over 95% of Jerry's winning score. That's the best way to make GM, in my book. Way to go!

Been thinking 'bout this for a few days, the classifiers being shot over and over. What is a classifier stage for anyway? Is it not to test, on a known course, your accuracy, speed, reloads, etc? Is this not exactly what we do in NRA Highpower and Bullseye? How 'bout PPC ? The classifier course in IDPA, 90 rounds always the same. Trap and skeet are always 25 birds going out of the same house. Get the point? If someone shoots classifiers and moves up, who cares? Yes Josh is a GREAT revo shooter and he desrves to be GM based on his match at Nationals. Does Otis need to be demoted, as the former National champ did not have as good a match as he normally would? If Jerry's revo broke in the beginning of 2 large field courses and he dnf'ed and got 0 out of 320 points, therefore some "C" class shooter beats him by a bunch, does that give the "C" class a bump to "A" or "M" ? Just some thoughts to ponder.

Ask Dave Parker, I'm sure he feels like I've been on his ass for the exact same thing ever since he made instant GM several years ago! And I completely agree that it would be totally unfair to criticize Dave P., your friend at Caswell, or anyone else who made instant GM by shooting the correct classifiers (as long as they didn't intentionally control and manipulate the process in order to Grandbag, of course).

Didn't realize you were on my ass for that Mikey, I thought it was just you being you.

To clarify, I NEVER picked the stages I shot that moved me to GM status, those were all picked by folks who run

the USPSA matches at the great Harvard Sportsmen’s Club. I thought I pointed this out way back then and stated here

on this forum how silly these classifiers all were.

I can't remember what series they were but it was fun to hit the classifier calculater on the web and see a 153% for

a classifier I shot that day.

My friend hdgun told me to be careful since being classed that high means your classed one lower for all other

divisions, sure enough, I shot some classifiers in Open and only shot B scores but they made me a Master.

Now take that GM status to a shoot like the ProAm, here they use USPSA classification. So I shoot B scores in

Open Auto but USPSA classified me as a Master so I get to shoot in that large pool of folks. Not cool and why I've

bagged out of the ProAm 2 years in a row. (Oh, in case your wondering, they don't have a lot of revo shooters at the

ProAm, hence me shooting in the Open Auto Division)

Let me go on record here, before I say anything else: Dave Parker is a good guy, and he deserves props for winning two stages at the technically-toughest and hardest-fought USPSA Nationals ever. That's enough to satisfy any lingering doubt in my mind about whether he deserves the GM rank.

I feel so warm and fuzzy now, glad you’ve finally gotten over this Mike.

I felt I had to respond to this thread as my name was brought up and I haven’t caused any trouble here in awhile.

The classification system is screwed up, I have no idea how to fix it.

With only 22 revo shooters at the Nats this year I can’t see USPSA putting any time or resources towards it.

They have enough problems to take care of (but that’s for another thread)

Later

Without a persistent test there's no way to make it more representative, that's just the nature of our poorly funded beast. You can't decree classifiers with 32 rounds, walls, doors, etc. because few clubs could afford to put on such a stage, much less get it exactly right for verisimilitude. Golf is the nearest paradigm to what we're trying to do, we just don't have permanent fixed courses of fire that could be shot over and over until we get meaningful data, at least not ones that are representative of the courses at real matches.

Anyway, no big deal, I stopped focusing on class right about the first time I shot an Area match.

H.

Without a persistent test there's no way to make it more representative, that's just the nature of our poorly funded beast. You can't decree classifiers with 32 rounds, walls, doors, etc. because few clubs could afford to put on such a stage, much less get it exactly right for verisimilitude. Golf is the nearest paradigm to what we're trying to do, we just don't have permanent fixed courses of fire that could be shot over and over until we get meaningful data, at least not ones that are representative of the courses at real matches.

Anyway, no big deal, I stopped focusing on class right about the first time I shot an Area match.

H.

"verisimilitude"----Whoa!!!

I've screwed up many a course that had too much of that in it....I think

Edited by underlug

• 4 weeks later...