Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow

bradthegunmaniac

I,m going to buy a new custom shadow but was thinking about having the trigger lighted up. You guys that have them what do you think?

they a good when they arrive..might shoot it for a few hundred rounds and see where it breaks in for you.

that said..they can be made to have a lighter/smoother trigger.

I,m going to buy a new custom shadow but was thinking about having the trigger lighted up. You guys that have them what do you think?

they a good when they arrive..might shoot it for a few hundred rounds and see where it breaks in for you.

that said..they can be made to have a lighter/smoother trigger.

+1. Even if it doesn't break-in to quite where you want it, if you're even a little bit of a DIYer and not completely un-mechanically inclined you should be able to get to where you're happy no problem just by following the trigger-job info found on the CZ forum's home gunsmithing section. Not quite as easy as working on a Glock, but much easier IMO than working on a 1911, after a lighter hammer-spring (which a custom Shadow will already have installed) it's really just dealing with the sear and hammer interaction, no bending or fiddling with springs.

Plus, seems the CZ crowd is a pretty helpful bunch and eager to convert the masses to Czech iron. I'm pretty new to the fold and have had just about any and all questions answered quickly by the resident CZ forum lurkers here.

Edited by ck1

I'm pretty picky and was used to a tuned 2.5 lb trigger on my Brazos when I purchased my custom Shadow. Shocked me how nice the Shadow felt right out of the gate. Got even better after a few hundred rounds. I personally would wait until you get it and fire it a thousand rounds or so before deciding what to do. Hate to have you spend extra $$ only to find you would have liked it as it arrived.

Agree with William Buck's comments on the dry fire. That's how I got used to double action first shot.

I bought my Custom and had them lighten it up before they shipped it to me so I cant say how good it was before but I can tell you that I love the trigger pull right now its amazing, I was already spending $1200 on the gun what was another $100 and I didnt have to send it back and be without it. But the way it comes should be great the way it is.

I havnt put it on a scale but Robert at CZ Customs said it was around 2 to 2.5 sa pull. Cant remember about the da pull but its very nice. I just wanted the best pull possible instead of wondering what it could of been. I personally would do it so its done and you dont have to send the gun back and not have it for awhile. But trust me the pull is very light and crisp it made me a CZ fan and now my Glock 34 collects dust lol.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I fiddled with my shadow trigger pull, Installed angus hammer, angus 85S trigger, cut mainspring a GREAT deal, cut also my firing pin spring and lightened firing spring (from 5.8gr to 3.2gr) polished EVERYTHING to a mirror finish and dryfired like crazy.

The trigger installed in my shadow seems to dictate the weight and lenght of the pull, these are what I measured on lyman digital trigger pull gauge:

-Original semicurved cz trigger (stock): DA 2.660GR SA 1020 GR (actual sear break is 560 gr)

-Original cz THICK trigger: DA 2960 GR SA 1200 G (sear break at 760gr)

-Angus Hobdell 85S trigger (fitted to frame): DA 2760GR SA 1050GR (sear break at 645 gr)

Measurements are the medium of 10 trigger pulls.

It seems that every trigger differs very slight in pin hole placement and DA notch depth and height.

Reset is also affected, with stock trigger reset is at minimum, second (close) is angus trigger, third by far is cz thick trigger (reset is almost double the amount of stock trigger).

Bear in mind that I have no actual data (precise measurements)on resets but I felt one longer than another.

One thing that I felt totally necessary is have the firing spring lightened in order to assure reliable ignition.

Even with the extra-long firing pin bought from czcustom, I had misfires, with my stock cz lightened one, never.

I shot abitually 125grs LRN with 4.0 n320 and CCI primers.

When setting up a trigger when you hit 5#DA, 2#SA that seems to be a spot where you will have misfires and work needs to be done on the firing pin springs and firing pin. At 5.5#DA, 2.5SA its pretty reliable with CCI/WOLF primers.

I haven't had the same experience with different trigger styles affecting trigger weight.

With the CZ Custom trigger lightening I havnt had any misfires or any problems with any ammo so far. Thats why I would recommend to just get everything done at once and you wont regret it. :cheers:

Edited by G34 CORDY

When I got my shadow I had them do the trigger before simply because I was told $100 then and $250 plus shipping additional later (plus time without the gun). That said, don't know how the original would be but the tuned is pretty sweet - but then so is saving $150

FWIW...

-Original semicurved cz trigger (stock): DA 2.660GR SA 1020 GR (actual sear break is 560 gr) ---> DA ~ 5.8#; SA ~2.2#

-Original cz THICK trigger: DA 2960 GR SA 1200 G (sear break at 760gr) ---> DA ~ 6.5#; SA ~ 2.6#

-Angus Hobdell 85S trigger (fitted to frame): DA 2760GR SA 1050GR (sear break at 645 gr) ---> DA ~ 6.1#; SA ~ 2.3#

Think it was more on the DA pull and the reset. The SA is in at about 2 where the stock was 2.5 to 3 or so. The difference as I was told by some in my club is that of reset, pretravel and DA. Whatever it is it added ten points to my average. Still much to do and learn but this has helped a great deal.

Damn you guys. I have about 5 perfectly good 9mm's. But you had to convince me to go and order an Shadow.

Can anyone tell me for sure if my Shadow will still be legal for Production if I swap to the competition hammer? I'm not 100% sure I'll do it, but I'd like to know if I'll have the option.

Also, will the stainless steel guide rod with the aluminum grip tape grips put me over the weight limit?

Not sure about the Production issue. Nonetheless, I am more than happy to let a fellow Ute shoot my Shadow Target. Just let me know.

Damn you guys. I have about 5 perfectly good 9mm's. But you had to convince me to go and order an Shadow.

Can anyone tell me for sure if my Shadow will still be legal for Production if I swap to the competition hammer? I'm not 100% sure I'll do it, but I'd like to know if I'll have the option.

Also, will the stainless steel guide rod with the aluminum grip tape grips put me over the weight limit?

That is fine

That is fine

Uhh, can you elaborate what is fine? The grips (which add about 1.5 ounces from what I gather) or the guide rod (which is of unknown weight)?

Your indicated component combination should be within the weight limit. CZ Shadow has a USPSA stated weight of 42 oz, and USPSA allows a 2 oz maximum overage to account for production tolerance and scale variance.

My Shadow Target, which is a bit different from the regular Shadow (has milled slide with adjustable rear sight), weighs 41.7 oz with ss guide rod, thin aluminum grips, and 18-rd magazine. FWIW, I am not certain that the ss guide rod makes much difference in performance/feel in that the full-length dust cover already adds meaningful weight up front.

That is fine

Uhh, can you elaborate what is fine? The grips (which add about 1.5 ounces from what I gather) or the guide rod (which is of unknown weight)?

Your indicated component combination should be within the weight limit. CZ Shadow has a USPSA stated weight of 42 oz, and USPSA allows a 2 oz maximum overage to account for production tolerance and scale variance.

My Shadow Target, which is a bit different from the regular Shadow (has milled slide with adjustable rear sight), weighs 41.7 oz with ss guide rod, thin aluminum grips, and 18-rd magazine. FWIW, I am not certain that the ss guide rod makes much difference in performance/feel in that the full-length dust cover already adds meaningful weight up front.

That is fine

Thanks!