Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True Grit

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The key to enjoying this movie is realizing that it is not really a remake.....it really is a different movie with the same name.

It had been years scince I saw the original, and after reading this I had to get the original on DVD. I was really surprised at how closely each followed one another (other than the ending). It absolutely is a re-make. And with all due respect to the Duke, I like the Cohen brothers version better....Not saying I do not like the original, the original is a classic and always will be. Any true lover of westerns must have both in their collections.

The original may be my favorite movie so I've hesitated seeing this one.

Jeff Bridges playing one of my favorite John Wayne roles is a hard concept for me to grasp.

I guess I need to suck it up and be open to a modern interpretation. Maybe the new Mattie will be a fair trade.

A one armed women walking into the sunset as they play leaning on the everlasting arms is funny stuff.

And if the following quote is not the greatest quote in a John Wayne film that the Duke did not have I don't know what it would be.

"I'd say that's bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."

Edited by Coach

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this one and the original with John Wayne. John Wayne played the role far better than the latest guy.

Plus they shortened the movie. If they were going to remake this movie they should have been a little bit more creative I think.

I was bored by the new movie.

Saw it last night (finally). It was a good movie and I quite enjoyed it. It was beautifully filmed, and though I haven't spent any time in that part of Arkansas and Oklahoma, the scenery looked more authentic to me than the original film (which was shot in Colorado I think).

You're still not seeing Arkansas or Oklahoma... The new film was shot in New Mexico and Texas... ;)

Saw it last night (finally). It was a good movie and I quite enjoyed it. It was beautifully filmed, and though I haven't spent any time in that part of Arkansas and Oklahoma, the scenery looked more authentic to me than the original film (which was shot in Colorado I think).

You're still not seeing Arkansas or Oklahoma... The new film was shot in New Mexico and Texas... ;)

Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New mexico, texas, Breathtaking scenary in all those states. No matter where they were supposed to be it was great footage in both movies. Some interesting facts about the scenes footage in the special features of the DVD from the original True Grit. Check it out if you haven't already.

• 1 month later...

I gotta say, while I liked the original -- what's not to like about the Duke doing what the Duke does on film -- I never felt emotionally connected to the movie. It was fine entertainment, but a little lacking....

The new one which has its problems (James Brolin, Matt Damon) also had an engaging performance that I could not look away from in Ms. Steinfeld's Mattie Ross.....

For True Grit, I'll take the new one, every day.....

For the Duke, I'll prefer "The Shootist" or "Hatari" or even the schlock of "Hellfighters......"