Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 550

Cool. The bullet feeder station is also the seating station or are you using a combo seat/crimp die on station 4?

Combo seat crimp in 4... It's the only way to go with this setup and the most tricky part of getting the thing running. Once set it's solid, but it takes a bit to get it right. Then you have to watch it for build up and over-seating. I only had it happen once, now I spray some carb cleaner in there about every third session and remove any powder or foreign matter which may be starting to build up. No worries once you get to know the system, like any other they all have their quirks.

JT

Edited by JThompson

That's mighty slick, thanks for sharing. Is there any advantage to using a 550 vs. a 650 with the same setup?

There is for me... I like to see the powder charge (You can with other machine too), but I control the rate of rotation and it never gets jammed up when I have a problem. It's also easier to correct a problem when detected. When I'm loading up 8.3 grains for match ammo it fills the case pretty high. I used a friends 650 and it had a tendency to pitch powder with full cases. I also like the feel of the 550... I'm so in tune with it, I can feel when a a primer isn't in the cup, I can "usually" tell if a primer is upside down, by the feel of the seat.

This was my first press and I learned how to load on it. After I got to a point I was comfortable I got the case feeder to speed it up a bit. I considered moving to a 650 for the auto index, but I really like the feel and looking into the case as well as the tactile I get from working with this press. When something isn't right I can just "feel" it and I didn't get that with the 650 or 1050. I was ready for another speed boost and I was faced with either getting another press or just getting a bullet feeder for this one. I called Rick up and spoke with him on it for about an hour. I think there might have been one other out there at the time, but that's it. I took a bunch of measurements as to how high we could go with collator... we measured where the holes had to be to bolt to the 550 and generally designed the fit on the phone. He sent me out one for "testing" to see if it fit and it did with no problems. I made some suggestions about a few things that could fit a little better, but all in all it was pretty damn close. I only load 9mm, so I don't swap anything out and that is perfect for someone who doesn't have to change calibers.

The only annoying thing is RP brass, it's a little short and I can account for that, but if I do it puts a little more bell on the taller cases than I would like, so I choose to deal with the occasional tilted bullet. I may play with that a bit more, but my brass last a very long time because I don't overstress it and I am leery of changing something that has worked so well for so long.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Can you tell us about your spent primer catch system? I see what looks like some tubing connected to the primer chute, and I noticed you don't have the spent primer catch cup. Have you solved the 1-2% spent primers on the floor problem?

Yes, good catch... there is a tube on there that goes down to the floor and a gallon jug. I still do get the occasional primer that goes flying, but not many. What I did was to take the tube and bond it to the chute, so when the ram comes down and opens the chute it drops into the tube and down into the gallon container. It's better than original, but still not perfect.

JT

So it's mostly just a convenience to keep from having to empty the cup every several hundred rounds?

Well, it's a little more than that, the chute and sides of it are padded to absorb some of the velocity when they hit. I'd say 50% less hit the floor. The ones that miss, I don't think they even hit the ramp, some come out fast and at strange angles.

JT

Edited by JThompson

It doesn't look like manually indexing is adding much time to the loading cycle. What is solid rounds per hour Jim?

be

I'll get out the stop watch next time I load up. Do you want a "fast as I can go" time or normal loading? I don't go full tilt for normal loading.

JT

It doesn't look like manually indexing is adding much time to the loading cycle. What is solid rounds per hour Jim?

be

I'll get out the stop watch next time I load up. Do you want a "fast as I can go" time or normal loading? I don't go full tilt for normal loading.

JT

Normal, solid, "can keep up the pace," are words that came to mind.

be

JT

Normal, solid, "can keep up the pace," are words that came to mind.

I did 5 sample runs going about the speed I normally load... 1.6-1-8-1.7-1.7 rounds per second. I threw out a run with a .380 case removal. This does not take into account stopping to reload the mag tube. I have no doubt you could get this down to 1.2 or maybe even a little less, but it would be sloppy reloading in my book.

Even going at the leisurely pace you can do 2k/hr including filling the primer mag.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Which seating crimp die are you using for this setup?

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=465232

JT

EDIT: Keep a can brake/carb cleaner handy and give the seater die a shot at the end of every load session. This will keep anything from building up in the die and causing your loads to seat deep.

J

Edited by JThompson