Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Target Plate Rack

http://www.mgmtarget..._page.php?cat=9

I would go with this one........actually I have!!!

The "Economy" is only in the price.

You can pay more and not buy better and no target manufacture supports OUR sport more than MGM!

Patrick

Thanks for the rec. I hadn't seen that one. I'd like to hear from people who've used either of these (or any other plate rack in the $1000 range) for a while. After my experience with a dueling tree (Not from MGM or AT) that looked great on the web but started breaking paddles after a few hundred rounds, I want to be sure I can get through a season of practice before I have to start taking broken steel to the farm to repair!

How long have you had yours?

Edited by bbbean

I'll 2nd the MGM economy plate rack. Our club has two of these and we are happy with them. Only down side is the reset linkage effort is a bit high and no adjustments. But hey for that kind of money we level the rack and give it a hard pull to reset and enjoy the cost savings.

I have used both Action and obviously a lot of MGM product and my honest assessment is that there is no comparison when putting the Action plate rack up against the MGM plate racks....regardless of cost.

Does that mean the MGM is better built, or did I mis-read?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Action Target platerack, dueling tree, and 22 dueling tree. They are all built solidly, and I would buy them all again. I've had the rack for about 3 years and it stays at a law enforcement training facility. The recruits have put thousands of rounds on it and it's still as good as new. I also have some steel challenge targets from Blackwater on the same range. I've had to reweld the steel challenge targets because the plates ended up getting bent. It's inevitable with the design.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Action Target or MGM. One of my friends won the rack at a competition and sold it to me for just under $400. She had it sitting in her backyard for 2 years.

Seiichi

• 1 month later...

I've used three different brand plate racks. My first purchase was an Action Target rack that I got for a really good price, $435.00 including shipping. I wouldn't buy another for that price. I also have a Dueling tree from Action Target. The plates on both target systems have broken two or three times. Some with very little use. Some with quite a bit. The plates on the rack have been replaced three times now and many have cracks. The rod that holds all the plates in place has also been damaged and I can't remove it. As soon as the plates are gone, that target is scrap metal.

I've also used a couple of plate racks by Robbie Wright at R & R Targets. The plates on these have held up fine and the plate rack can be disassembled, thrown in the back of the truck and easily set up by two people. If I had a range where I had to haul my stuff back and forth, this would be my pick.

The plate rack that I'm currently getting the most use out of is the MGM with the built in wheels that I can haul behind the truck. It's over a year old and looks brand new. No plate damage at all. I've got a bunch of other MGM targets as well. The only thing I've seen damage them is when the NRA decided to use my Auto Poppers and Auto Colt Speed Plates for a TPC match. They were shooting rifle, including a .308 or two, on them at about 20-25 yards. I don't think any steel would have held up to that. The poppers are dimpled, but when I get around to it I can just flip the plate around and they'll be good as new as well. I know we tried that trick with a .308 on the Steel Challenge plates that the local club uses (not MGM, and it was the owner of the plates that did the shooting, expecting the damage) .308 went right on through like butter. I've pretty much given up on buying anything but MGM targets. The stuff works, Travis and Mike both shoot so they know what we need and they support the heck out of the sport. Just not a lot of reasons to buy from anyone else.