Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Would You Do??

ChandlerSniper158

Decisions, decisions....

I have been shooting a M1Super90 for over a year now in 3 gun and am very happy with it. My buddy picked up a Remington 1100C a week ago and decided he wanted something different. He traded it to me for my old 3 gun rifle, so now I have 2 shotguns. I am comfortable using the Benelli, and like it alot.

Would any of you guys give up the Benelli for the Remington and why would you if you chose to do so?

CS#158

I would switch in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd sell the Benelli to buy another Remington.

I like the way they shoot better. Less felt recoil. No problems finding short stocks. Blah blah blah.

Methinks at this point, it all boils down to person preference.

Every time I've shot a Benelli, it convinced me further that I have no interest in owning one.

After shooting 1100's for many years I finally made the decision to sell them both and buy a new M1S90. I loved my 1100's and spent well over a year agonizing between the 1100 and the M1S90.

I picked the M1S90 over all the others because of the genius of the simplicity of the design. No moving parts forward of the receiver and minimal moving parts in the receiver. I see that as an important benefit. It leaves that many fewer parts that can break.

The M1S90 is designed as a combat shotgun to shoot magnum power 3" slugs and buckshot for many, many thousands of rounds. I figured since all I do is shoot IPSC stuff using birdshot and occasional low recoil slugs it will last longer than I will.

I also like the ergonomics of it and the light weight. Handles and points very well for me. I've got over 4000 rounds of el-cheapo Wall-Mart 1oz ammo through it with 3 failures to eject which I contribute to faulty ammo. That's it, no parts broke, nothing fell off.

Big Disclaimer: I don't work for Benelli and this is not a Benelli promotional pitch so please don't run out and buy one based on my humble opinion.

Is that the Remington 1100 Competiton Master?

I have a M1 Super 90 and I tend to agree with Rhino. As a matter of fact, I'll trade you the M1 Super 90 for the 1100 CM if you're interested. Please email me if you want any details.

Mickster:

We know you don't work for Benelli. At no time in there did you say " It's the worlds greatest shotgun, so we don't have to support any of the shooting sports, people will buy it anyway". Remmington has really come around and is activly supporting shooting in general and 3-gun in particular. I think it all comes down to wich you like better, but one is active in our sport where the othere could careless. I like Benelli guns and once modified properly ( to my way of thinking) are hard to beat, but I also think I will come up with a way to draw a red circle around the name and put a slash through it :D KURTM

Keep one as a backup to the other. All guns break sooner, or later. As to which should be the backup gun, they are both the best choice for competition, they are both fast, they are both reliable. You make the call. I like Remmie's, most of my friends like Bennie's. All(most all) of the top shooters use one or the other. Why not buck the trend and use both? :P

--

Regards,

No way am I gonna sell it. Actually I`m on the list to have Bevin work his magic on it. I like the fact its light, points easy, and handles well.. for me. As Kurt points out, they don`t sponsor our sport, and are a pain in the butt to deal with, where Remington does. I switched from an 11-87 to the Benelli, guess I`ll just have to stick em both in the safe. and be different.. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone.

CS#158

I owned an 1100 skeet gun for years, then tried a Benelli M1S90 for 3 gun. Didn't like the harsh recoil, the stiff mag spring, and the whole loading a round on a carrier business.. I think I could have gotten used to that, but it was so different from the 1100.. I ended up buying a Winchester SX2 in the hopes of getting something more reliable than the 1100s are known to be, and softer shooting with the Benelli..

I came really close to the 1100 CM.. (Actually I would have bought the JP version), but

I liked the rifle sights with the fold down rear of the X2, and hopefully it's more reliable than 1100's..

I think if reliablilty is #1 to you, get a Benelli, as long as you don't mind shooting the "glock" of shotguns, and a light gun with stiff recoil doesn't bother you..

For the most soft shooting, the 1100 is probably the ticket, my 1100 feels softer than the SX2, part of this is the fact that the SX2 needs pretty hot loads to cycle.