Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base Pads - Arredondo or Dawson?

DocMcG

Hello o' wise shooters!

Looking to gather up some base pads for my G35. Would you please share your experiences with the Arredondo vs. Dawson Precision?

Couldn't find much by searching and there are few comparisons online. I have done the basic plastic vs. aluminum, follower fitting, price comparison, etc. research, but need some actual pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

I had one Arredondo and the plastic just felt cheap in comparison to the Dawson so now I have 12 Dawsons. The one Arredodno came apart once when dropped on a hard surface and that was it for me. I never had that happen with the Dawson. The Dawson has gotten dinged and I had to file some aluminum off to get it open.

Edited by jtischauser

I have used and abused both and both work well. I can get 19 in the mags with Dawsons and 20 in the one with Arredondos. The only thing I don't like about the Arredondos is you need the tool to take them apart but they send one with every base pad.

I searched "base pads" and "mag extensions" in the Glock sub-forum and found these.

Well, shoot! I guess I was too narrow in my search terms and too broad in the forum search area! Thanks for the help!

Kyle

My dawsons go 20+1. There is a thread about arredondos not fitting in the gauge

I am having to sand the checkering off of my Arredondos to get them to fit the gauge without forcing them in (the referenced thread talks about an RO that demanded that the mags just drop right into the gauge with no pressure). They're ALL about 0.5mm too long....

Edited by Braxton1

Most importantly the Dawsons look cooler;)

SOLD! That did it! :roflol:

Actually, I placed an order late yesterday afternoon with Dawson. Setting up my G35 with Dawson sites, Super Heavy Ice Magwell and Dawson base pads. It will be a walking DP advertisement! Now I am looking for a good stippling job on the grip. Suggestions?

I've got the Dawsons, and I had some issues with half of them with the stock Glock 35 followers. I replaced teh followers wtih Arredondo white Delrin followers and no more hanging up issues. I am finding that I can get 19 rounds in four mags, and 20 in one mag. I smoothed, sanded, trimmed and interchanged parts, but that one mag is the only one I can get 20 in. Then again, 19 rounds is not keeping me from finishing higher, its the llose nut behind the wheel (she shooter)that keeps messing up.

Most importantly the Dawsons look cooler;)

SOLD! That did it! :roflol:

Actually, I placed an order late yesterday afternoon with Dawson. Setting up my G35 with Dawson sites, Super Heavy Ice Magwell and Dawson base pads. It will be a walking DP advertisement! Now I am looking for a good stippling job on the grip. Suggestions?

You gotta send it to Mike at Accurate Iron. He has done all 5 of my Glocks with the scalloped stippling, undercut trigger guard, and a beavertail. All 3 things look identical on all 5 guns and they look like they came from the factory. The undercut, and beavertail help a bunhc at gettign higher on the gun and not getting slide bite.

http://www.accurate-iron.com/

He has done the grip and forearm on my Benelli M2 as well with a sandpaper style. I will never buy grip tape again!

This was before he talked me into the stippling. You an see the undercut and beavertail.

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

This is the G17 open gun he did complete with a coffin cut to lightened the slide.

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0005.jpg

He will go higher onteh grip if you want. I will get you some more pictures of the Glocks and the Benelli on Monday.

Edited by jtischauser

You gotta send it to Mike at Accurate Iron. He has done all 5 of my Glocks with the scalloped stippling, undercut trigger guard, and a beavertail. All 3 things look identical on all 5 guns and they look like they came from the factory. The undercut, and beavertail help a bunhc at gettign higher on the gun and not getting slide bite.

http://www.accurate-iron.com/

He will go higher onteh grip if you want. I will get you some more pictures of the Glocks and the Benelli on Monday.

Nice! Question - How does he get the beavertail on the lower? I like the undercut and scallops too!

He adds some holes in the existing/nonexistent beavertail and then puts some pins in the holes, then builds up the beavertail with a bedding compound material and blends it down to the desired length and shape. I'm second hand not a gunsmith but It freakin' works so well that I'm scared to shoot my sweet production G34 on account lf my thumb gets torn up without the beavertail now. Pm inbound. We can talk tomorrow.

Edited by jtischauser