Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of the Redding Comp. Seater die

I have a S1050 set up for 9mm and currently load using Redding Pro Series dies (exclusively for all my loading). Thinking a lot about replacing the standard seater die in that set with the Competition seater die. I'm a commercial reloader, so cost isn't an issue here.

I would like to hear experiences with this die regarding OAL control, runout control, and repeatability of setting for new seating depth (for different bullet weights/profiles) if you would, please.

I run the comp. seating dies in all my tool heads. I'm an engineer and have an OC personality, so when I set out for 1.130 I'm disappointed when the average of the lot is not 1.130. The die does not guarantee that you'll have exacting OAL but the the average is where it needs to be and other factors could be contributing to the variations. Anyway, the micrometer adjustment works awesome and the return to zero capability is just what you would expect. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have often thought of getting one of these dies. I think they would be great if you tinker alot with oal's. But I can't see the sense in them if you are going to load thousands upon thousands of the exact same load. My Dillon seater die stays constant all year as well. But when I move it I will admit it is a PITA to get right again.

I have often thought of getting one of these dies. I think they would be great if you tinker alot with oal's. But I can't see the sense in them if you are going to load thousands upon thousands of the exact same load. My Dillon seater die stays constant all year as well. But when I move it I will admit it is a PITA to get right again.

Well, I load a 147gr in the 9mm and only that weight. But I load a Xtreme plated RN, a Gold Dot JHP, a Zero JHP, a Zero FMJ, and possibly will add a Montana Gold CMJ to that lineup.

The Comp die seems like making those adjustment would be quicker and easier versus the standard die. I like reference points when I make settings. I'm aiming to get one of those UniqueTek micrometer powder bar deals too.

Dillon makes a product but its limited to what it can do. My Dillon holds my Redding dies flawlessly. My Redding dies make flawless ammo.

I have the Uniquetek powder bar and love it for all the same reasons as my comp seating die.

Well, I load a 147gr in the 9mm and only that weight. But I load a Xtreme plated RN, a Gold Dot JHP, a Zero JHP, a Zero FMJ, and possibly will add a Montana Gold CMJ to that lineup.

The Comp die seems like making those adjustment would be quicker and easier versus the standard die. I like reference points when I make settings. I'm aiming to get one of those UniqueTek micrometer powder bar deals too.

Freakshow, The Competition die is made for you!

It's a good die. Probably the msot useful it ahs been for me is when changing bullet profiles (or when my bullet of choice has the manufacturer change them on me). It's pretty much make one cartridge, measure it, turn X increments, done. 

Which is nice. Plus you know it isn't adding any crimp. 

I use the Redding Competition Bullet Seating die for all my calibers. Yeah, it's nice that you can change the OAL with a twist of it's micrometer head but more important to me is it's ability to center the bullet in the case every time. No more lopsided rounds that cause my guns not to go into battery.

Pat

Love the Redding Competition Seater. My bullets come out much better and my groups have improved a lot since using it. It's well worth the expense. I use two different bullets in my .38s and all I need to do is turn the micrometer setting to the known number and I'm all set for the different bullet.

I have a 1050 and I am using the Redding Competition seater die. Absolutely recommendable!!! Controlling the seating depth is easy now, it was a PITA before. And, as a side effect: Bullets are now seated absolutely straigt. I load ARES bullets (http://www.ares-gun.sk/) which were not seated straight with the original Dillon die, resulting in a sort of bellying-out-effect and thus rounds which were out of spec (didn't fit the gauge).

These probs are now all gone!

Another good thing is the Micrometer Powderbar from Uniquetek (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231)

With these two upgrades I can now set the press from one to another "recipe" without any hassle and measuring (I check before loading, of course) as the scales are very accurate.

• 1 year later...

I own both Redding comp. seater dies and Forster ultra's. They both do an excellent job. It was Forster that pioneered the sliding sleeve design that was later copied by Redding. You may want to consider the Forster die as it's less expensive than the Redding and considered to be it's equal. Here is a link to an article comparing the two:

My link

I do quite a bit of precision rifle reloading and use a runout tester to check bullet runout. The difference between dies like the Redding comp and Forster ultra and more common dies in terms of runout is really eye opening. These dies are also much, much more consistent from round to round.