Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Noob To Revolver But Loving It

IPSC_PRO

Hey Guys. I have been shooting uspsa for about ten years and this is the first time with revolvers. I got a 686 s and with a four inch barrel in august and with in the past week I have gotten two 625s. One four inch and the other 5 inch. The four inch 625 had a lot of work done be Richard Fletcher and the five inch 625 had the action work done by the late Geo Wessinger. Both only shoot in double action and I got them for uspsa competion. I got every thing I need. Holster, mag pouches, and polymer moon clips. I can't shoot now because of my back so I figured I may as well buy. I just love shooting the 686 before I injured my back. The bugs were being worked out and loved the power of the .357 mag ammo. Even though the 686 was fun shooting at targets at the range, I began to wonder how that 12 or 13 or 14 pound trigger pull would feel like in a uspsa match. So I was convinced that I would be getting revolvers with trigger jobs to reduce and smooth out the trigger pull. Then this youtuber was telling me how much fun shooting revolver in uspsa was and how he had also started out with a 686 and then got a 625. I already have what I need for reloading .45acp and I loved the easy reloading with the moon clips as opposed to the sks speed loaders. So that is how I ended up where I am now. Love revolvers but haven't shot a single uspsa match yet with a revolver. I guess I have come full circle. Started out with a stock fullsize hk 9mm, then .45acp 1911s, then 38 super open guns, then went to shooting production with my hk 9mm since it has the option of shooting the first shot in double action, and now revovler. The feeling is like starting the sport all over again. Someone told me shooting revolver makes you a more accurate shooter because of the limited amount of ammo...6 as opposed to 10 in my state. I just love the way a revolver looks and feels. I just didn't get it before with revolvers, and now I do. And now i'm broke. lol I guess now I will have lots of time to practice my reloads and dry firing.

Edited by IPSC_PRO

Congrats! This is the best way to get broke :) welcome to Revolverland!

Thanks Robot. I won the 625 fletcher in an auction today. I won it on my final bid of $1500. The guy who was chasing me down got to within $25 of me, then gave up. He caught me once and I countered once and lucky for me he gave up. I could have bought a new 625 and had all the upgrade done and gotton away with a lot less but I'm not sorry I did it because the way it stands now, I'm gettin a great gun in less than a weeks time and I won't have to send it out. This gun was a display and show gun for Fletcher, so I think it was to show customer what a gun would feel like when he did his thing on it. He's got his reputation on the line with this gun so I am thinking it's got to be a good one. That's what I'm hoping anyways. See you around Robot;)

Everybody owns a revolver. Few shoot them in matches.

Wait till you try a 10 shot 22 (617)

Saw a great sign today

"If all else fails....

Call for an air strike"

Welcome aboard

George

Everybody owns a revolver. Few shoot them in matches.

Wait till you try a 10 shot 22 (617)

Saw a great sign today

"If all else fails....

Call for an air strike"

Welcome aboard

George

Hey George. I just took a look on youtube and did some checking around and came across one with a six inch barrel. It's a beauty but dang expensive. Just under $700. But reviewer says it's very accurate. Now this would be a good way to shoot all day and not break the bank like I have already. So If I get this 617 in six inch barrel, I would actually be saving money as I shoot. But how can I save money if I don't have one yet? Simple. I gots to get one;)lol Just can't do it. So far I have bought any on credit and I wonna keep it that way. But the 617 in six inch barrel has to be the next s&w I get for sure. I better start saving as fast as I can then. Thnx for sharing that. Do you have a 617 George? If you do can you post it?

Welcome to the wheelgun!

My 4" 10-shot 617 has been one of my wiser purchases. I use it as my understudy to my 4" 686. It's easily paid for itself, several times over. Turns out to be an excellent rimfire steel and target gun, to boot.

Many feel the 6" is pretty muzzle-heavy, so I suggest holding one (even better if you can shoot one) before buying. Except for the grips, my 4" is bone stock, and plenty accurate and never felt I needed the longer barrel.

Tom

10 meters:

8.jpg

revo!!!!...........lol yea I like that. I'm a revo-man;) Hey Grand if you didn't tell me it was a .22 I wouldn't know. Another thing you got me thinking about is this. If a shooter is competing with a four inch barrel 625 s&w in say uspsa, then it might be better to get a four inch 617 so the guns would look and feel the same which would make for better skill transference when practicing with the 617. Nice grouping Grand.

Same boat as the OP. Do they make speed loaders for the 617? That would be the only draw back. I too have started shooting my 686-6... the reloads are what really need help. I don't have to balls to use the 686 in USPSA though... times would be pretty scary.

Same boat as the OP. Do they make speed loaders for the 617? That would be the only draw back. I too have started shooting my 686-6... the reloads are what really need help. I don't have to balls to use the 686 in USPSA though... times would be pretty scary.

Here's a vid that I really like demonstrating reloading revolver with the hks speedloader.

I praticed with .38 special snap caps and did it with real rounds at the range. I was really starting to get the hang of it and was planning to shoot my first uspsa match with my 686. Then I hurt my back on a friday at work and had to miss the match on Sunday. Haven't shot since. So since I couldn't shoot, I started buying and buying, and now I'm broke. lol not really but I can't buy anymore for a while. One thing I really do need though are some .45 acp snap caps or maybe I can put some round together on my dillon reloader without the primer or powder. You guys think that would be alright? That would save me some money and the dummy rounds I make would be more authentic than snap caps. Hmmmmm I just looked at the review of my post and I see that the youtube vid is there. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting just the url to the vid to be there. Did I do something wrong or break forum rules or something? I didn't really read the forum rules when I signed up, I never do. I just click on the button that says I did and try to use common sense when posting.

Welcome to the Revo Brotherhood! We can always use more card carrying members.

As to the video, I would caution you against using that technique to reload your revo at a USPSA match. You may find yourself going home early for a DQ for breaking the 180. Yes the cylinder is open, yes it's completely safe, but rules are rules. Just some friendly advice.

I just reread your first post. I noticed that you got some plastic moon clips for the 625. If you are talking about the Rimz brand, I've found they're not suitable for competition. They're great for just plinking at the range, because they load and unload with your finger power. For competition you'll want steel moons, which are pretty inexpensive. Most people seem to use Ranch Products brand. They've been good for me.

Welcome to the Revo Brotherhood! We can always use more card carrying members.

As to the video, I would caution you against using that technique to reload your revo at a USPSA match. You may find yourself going home early for a DQ for breaking the 180. Yes the cylinder is open, yes it's completely safe, but rules are rules. Just some friendly advice.

I think you are right Glock. I examined my technique and found it is impossible for me to break the 180. I especially looked at the ejection position and the reloading position of the muzzle. Thanks for the comment and advice. Point well taken.

I did get the Rimz brand. I'm not quite clear on why it's not suitable for uspsa competition but I will find out soon enough when I make those dummy rounds and when I get my 625s. I can't bring them home until oct 11. I live in Hawaii and we have the two week cooling down period or something or other which doesn't make much sense because i already have other pistols and stuff. I'll have lots of time to practice so when my back heals, I should have that part down pretty good. That's the coolest part of shooting revolver I think....a smooth reload.

Hi:

Many USPSA Range Officers don't understand revolvers and reloading them.

I've found that if you tip up the barrel aggressively (but not breaking vertical), you can easily get an match DQ cause they say you broke the 180. It's a motion they didn't expect.

I've had to tone down my USPSA reloads (don't switch hands any more) to stay on the RO's safe side. And it's not worth trying to explain it to them.

George

Hi:

Many USPSA Range Officers don't understand revolvers and reloading them.

I've found that if you tip up the barrel aggressively (but not breaking vertical), you can easily get an match DQ cause they say you broke the 180. It's a motion they didn't expect.

I've had to tone down my USPSA reloads (don't switch hands any more) to stay on the RO's safe side. And it's not worth trying to explain it to them.

George

Hey George. The way I do my reload is like this. First I activate the cylinder release with my shooting hand thumb. At the same time my support hand is pushing the cylinder out with my two middle fingers if you know what I mean. When the cylinder comes out I begin tilting the gun back and my supporting hand thumb is positioned on the ejector rod and my shooting hand thumb is moved up to the top of the hammer to get it out of the way of the ejected casinings. When the gun is tilted way back it cannot break the 180 because my three bottom fingers of my shooting hand are still on the handle of the gun and my thumb is on top of the hammer. With the gun tilted up but still facing, not pointing forward, and my hand still on the handle of the gun, it is impossible for me to break the 180. It would hurt or break my wrist to do that. So now that the casings are ejected because I have depressed the ejector rod with my supporting hand thumb. Then the thumb that was on the ejector rod now goes to the side of the cylinder to grip the cylinder with the two"middle" fingers of my supporting hand. While doing this the gun is brought down, and pointing down but the gun is twisted clockwise to position the cylinder from a side position to a position closer to the right hand. This will expose the cylinder better for better reload position. The rounds are inserted with the right hand from the top, wether it be a moon clip or an hks speedloader. When the rounds are in place, the cylinder is closed with the support hand thumb after the right hand has griped the handle of the gun. The supporting hand goes into position to support the gun grip and the reload is complete. Wow that was hard to explain. They say a picture or vid is worth a thousand words. They are right. Fortunately for me one of our club leaders is also a good revolver shooter so he knows how to judge the a legal revolver reload. When I shot his 625 once I almost got converted then. The trigger on his 625 was so smooth and light but not so light that there was no feel to it. I want to say it was a five pound pull but it must have been closer to eight. I'll have to ask him when I see him again. Since I can't shoot my 625s due to my hurt back(doctors orders). I was thinking of having him try them out for me while all I can do is watch. Richard Fletcher said he test shot the pimped 625 I am buying from him with fifty rounds and it's ready to go. All I gotta do is mail him the payment.I already have the certified check ready to mail. I'm going to speed mail it at the post office. Night all. God bless. Ken(Smitty_RevoMan)

Edited by IPSC_PRO

Light load that .45 with some 230 grain LRN and 3.5 grains of Bullseye and you can shoot it all day long. Great Bullseye load and it makes a damn good ICORE load. Sure, you can see the bullets going down range but it's very accurate and has no recoil.

Good luck. Hate to hear about people with back trouble.

Light load that .45 with some 230 grain LRN and 3.5 grains of Bullseye and you can shoot it all day long. Great Bullseye load and it makes a damn good ICORE load. Sure, you can see the bullets going down range but it's very accurate and has no recoil.

Good luck. Hate to hear about people with back trouble.

Thanks AzShooter. The Hawaii state uspsa match will be on Maui this year in March of 2011. So I'm hoping I will be well by then. Here is one I just thought of. Is there like a revolver brotherhood within the ipsc brotherhood? I am thinking about how I used to feel about revolver shooting in uspsa matches. At the time it looked very uninteresting to me. I thought you couldn't shoot as fast as a semi auto and the six round limit was a real drag. And the reloads seem combersome. Now my love for revolvers is so intense, I really don't care what others think. I'm just too absorbed. It's like Revolver mania for me. I'm very partial to smiths right now to. I guess it will probably stay that way until I get my first non-smith revolver. ONe thing I think I need to get now are metal moon clips. The guy who sold me the five inch barrel 625 said he was sending me a tool to remove the casings from the metal moon clips. He said it would make it a lot easier. Besides I don't think you can ever have too many moon clips and they are not that expensive. One thing I want to stay away from for now are those hi tech moon clip holders. I know it would make it a lot faster on the reloads but I find it interesting to use covered moon clip velcro fastened holders. That may change as I get into it more. Take care all. God bless. Ken(Smitty_RevoMan)

Why do you find covered moon clip velcro fastened holders interesting?

Hey No.343. The reason I find stock equipment more interesting is because it's more like a practical rig or stock rig. I'm not knocking the hi tech stuff. To be competitive, getting the best equipment that will facilitate a higher score is a good thing. It's just personal preference. For instance, I just love a smooth fairly light trigger pull in revolver. In a 25 to 30 round stage, I would have a hard time pulling the stock trigger in a smith and wesson that many times and still be fairly accurate. But as far as moon clip holders go, I just find it more interesting to work the more stock type ones than those high tech ones. The stock typ moon clips holders remind me of what the cops used to have on their belt when I was little.

I had a chance today to dry fire one of the two 625s I just purchased. The trigger pull was a very smooth about 9 lbs. I did notice that the hammer has the firing pin on the hammer. I think I read somewhere that this design is not very durable. Sometimes the firing pin will break off of the hammer. All the more reason why I needed a spare 625.

Hey No.343. The reason I find stock equipment more interesting is because it's more like a practical rig or stock rig. I'm not knocking the hi tech stuff. To be competitive, getting the best equipment that will facilitate a higher score is a good thing. It's just personal preference. For instance, I just love a smooth fairly light trigger pull in revolver. In a 25 to 30 round stage, I would have a hard time pulling the stock trigger in a smith and wesson that many times and still be fairly accurate. But as far as moon clip holders go, I just find it more interesting to work the more stock type ones than those high tech ones. The stock typ moon clips holders remind me of what the cops used to have on their belt when I was little.

I had a chance today to dry fire one of the two 625s I just purchased. The trigger pull was a very smooth about 9 lbs. I did notice that the hammer has the firing pin on the hammer. I think I read somewhere that this design is not very durable. Sometimes the firing pin will break off of the hammer. All the more reason why I needed a spare 625.

I use a Ruger Alaskan in competition which has approximately a 16 lb trigger (yes a sixteen pound trigger). Given a good amount of practice I have done, I can go through a 32 round course and remain accurate all the way through. In fact I recently participated in the NC Sectional Match which had a minimum round count of 215 over 9 stages, which averages to 23 rounds a stage and 7 out of the 9 required 24-32 rounds. Its not the trigger, but the time spent practicing with it which determines how well you can consistently shoot any handgun/revolver. I can understand the preference of a lighter trigger, but I decided to stay with the stock trigger.

I use kydex speedloader holsters in competition, and have leather snap carriers for my speedloaders otherwise. Not having to unsnap the carrier when reloading saves time, and in competition every second counts.

Don't worry about the firing pin being on the hammer. It's been done that way for ages with no problems.

Thanks AZ for putting my mind at ease but you've just eliminated that excuse for when my wife finds out I bought two same guns. It's going to be like....why do you need two. They're both the same. Then I'll say...................(It'll come to me when the time comes I'm sure or I hope) But really I do feel a lot better about the gun now that you have said that it's ok. Thanks for the info. The Fletcher 625 is going to be my baby. It should be even better than the 625 I just got today. I can't take it home until oct11. That's when my permit to acquire clears. The guy who sent me this 625 was nice enough to send 5 wilson combat full moon clips and a tool to remove the casings from the clips. Now I will be able to compare the polymer rimz clips with the combat metal clips. All I need to do now is make about twelve dummy rounds on my dillon 550. Or maybe I'll ask one of the guys in our club to make them for me since I'm not supposed to be reloading until my back heals. I could only check it out for a bit at my dealer's shop. Isn't the cylinder on the 625 larger than the cylinder on the 686? I think it kind looked and felt like it was. I asked him if this gun has been reliable and he said it was his primary for home defense for the past 15 years.

I use a Ruger Alaskan in competition which has approximately a 16 lb trigger (yes a sixteen pound trigger). Given a good amount of practice I have done, I can go through a 32 round course and remain accurate all the way through. In fact I recently participated in the NC Sectional Match which had a minimum round count of 215 over 9 stages, which averages to 23 rounds a stage and 7 out of the 9 required 24-32 rounds. Its not the trigger, but the time spent practicing with it which determines how well you can consistently shoot any handgun/revolver. I can understand the preference of a lighter trigger, but I decided to stay with the stock trigger.

I use kydex speedloader holsters in competition, and have leather snap carriers for my speedloaders otherwise. Not having to unsnap the carrier when reloading saves time, and in competition every second counts.

Hey Blueridge. Seems we are complete opposites in personal preference. I prefer to upgrade the trigger action and you prefer to upgrade the clip holders and holster. 16 pounds is a very heavy trigger pull. Congrats on being able to handle it in competion. I did a quick search on the web. Are you shooting a .44 magnum round?