Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Training

assaulter

Are there any quality training classes out there specifically for 3Gun competition? Something geared toward speed and not beginner shooting skill sets. For that matter, would anyone care to post some of their practice drills for rifle and shotgun?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if they are quality or not, but I do 3-gun classes every once in a while. The emphasis is on tricks and stage reading that makes or breaks a match. Plan on Rifle out to 300 and pistol to 50 and shotgun for SPEED! I might be doing one latter this fall. KurtM

I don't know if they are quality or not, but I do 3-gun classes every once in a while. The emphasis is on tricks and stage reading that makes or breaks a match. Plan on Rifle out to 300 and pistol to 50 and shotgun for SPEED! I might be doing one latter this fall. KurtM

Is that in western Wyoming? Where can I get some more info?

Edited by assaulter

Is that in western Wyoming? Where can I get some more info?

KurtM is the half of the Kurt & Trapr I was referring to. They held the last class in the OKC area. Send Kurt a PM and ask for more info.

Edited by jtischauser

These guys might have a good class on the shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg"]My link[/url]

LMFAO!!!

These guys definitely are on the top of the ATAS training list but I haven't seen a one of them on the 3 gun nation show much less in the shoot off at the end of the show. Furthermore you will never have to pump your shotgun one handed in a 3 gun match.

I think a class with Mr. Limp Wrist, oops I meant Mr. Weakhand or that young whipper snapper Horner from the AMU that uses my tax dollars to beat me would be a slight bit better for 3 gun.

Edited by ATAS

I saw Taran Buttler teaching some LE guys and gals 3 gun techniques in a recent issue of Tactical Weapons magazine. Man that guy is fast and has great hair too!

Edited by ATAS

I saw Taran Buttler teaching some LE guys and gals 3 gun techniques in a recent issue of Tactical Weapons magazine. Man that guy is fast and has great hair too!

I have seen Taran apply his skills with all three guns...

very impressive indeed.

Should he loose his step he should take up stand up...:)

Alan

Without trying to steal the thread...

I'm OK for now with pistol and rifle, but new to shotgun. What type of training would be a good place to start? I know that there are skeet and sporting clays beginner classes in my area and there is a place where I can go for a defensive shotgun class. Would any of this be worth trying?

Without trying to steal the thread...

I'm OK for now with pistol and rifle, but new to shotgun. What type of training would be a good place to start? I know that there are skeet and sporting clays beginner classes in my area and there is a place where I can go for a defensive shotgun class. Would any of this be worth trying?

Just my opinion- and I've never taken a training class on anything shooting related- so I may be in the dark on all of it!

Training that is not directed toward your goal (3 gun) can be as bad as no training at all. Sporting Clays looks like a lot of fun, but other than learning how to properly mount the gun the rest of what you would learn would be of very little help. A defensive shotgun class would most likely be a waste of dollars- only the mechanics of handling the shotgun would carry over to competition.

The thing that has helped my shooting the most is just signing up for matches. Local matches are the best practice. Watch some of the better shooters, ask questions, and practice handling and loading the shotgun at home for free.

I think Bryan's advice is the best. Sign up for matches. The first match I ever shot was Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 Gun. JJ told me about guns, Denise showed me how to weak hand load, Pat Kelley told me how to mentally prepare and run a stage. That was was in my squad. I met Taran-he had taught some friends of mine in a class and he introduced me to Kurt Miller with "this is Kurt Miller-he shoots irons better that anybody else shoot optics" He introduced me to Kurt as "my son".Then he walked around showing me how to look at stages. I could walk better then. Get some dummy's shells to practice shotgun loading and get out to the matches. There is a lot going on in 3Gun and you just have to get out and do it. If you can get a class with someone who knows what they are doing-great. DVC

As an aside, the Magpul guys are straight up good. They are not phony, they have a positive attitude, and they can be on my team anytime. They are not competition trainers. They have made the best carbine and handgun videos for tactical training to date. And we all use videos as adjunct in training. Don't we?

As tactical as shit. Shit on a punji stick is extremely tactical. Never count out shit.

Put me on your notification list for a class. I will bring the ....beverages for the after class discussion.

I recently took a class with Daniel Horner in Illinois... It was a great class and I would highly recommend his professional instruction to focus on the skills we need for 3-Gun competition.

There will be another class near Decatur in 2011 with Daniel.

I think if you take a class it will help you out in the long run. I see a lot of shooters that just shoot matches make technical mistakes that they wouldn't be doing if they had taken a class from a good instructor.

Then again I wouldn't take a class right off the bat. I'd shoot at least 3-4 matches and then take a class.

Waiting to take a class until after a few matches will make the class more beneficial. However with good competition based 3 gun classes few and far between I wouldn't skip one because your a newbie.

It appears Daniel Horner WILL be teaching a 3 gun class in the Decatur Il. area spring of 2011.