Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is your "Go to Food" while at the range

NJGlockGirl

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time i have some Cracker's, a Icechest with Coca-cola, mountain dew, and maybe a redbull or 2 in it. I tried bringing sandwiches once but it didn't work out so well because the sandwich was nasty before i could eat it. Maybe i will try putting a few cookies in my bag now that i am back to shooting.

I'm so jazzed up before a match I can hardly finish a bowl of cereal that morning. It's much easier to keep drinking during the shoot than to try to eat. I start with a Coke and then Gatorades until we're done.

I bought some of those Jelly Belly Sports Beans I saw recommended somewhere else on this forum, see if that'll help prevent sugar crashes.

Plenty of Diet Green Tea. After drinking half a bottle, I'll refill with water, then dilute additional bottles half and half through the rest of the match. Biggest concern is to not get dehydrated, as it affects thinking as well as muscle action.

Food is fresh fruit for sugar and fiber [plums, nectarines, peaches, apples] and nuts [walnuts and peanuts] for protein.

Word of caution. Don't try any new foods prior to or during a match.

I found out I was allergic to kiwi fruit at an area match, when I ate one at breakfast. It caused stomach and intestinal distress for half a day of shooting, to the point I thought it was recurrence of stomach ulcers.

Edited by professor

Im now addicted to a new pre-match food. My buddies mom makes some kick-ass bacon, egg, potato, cheese and salsa burritos. That keeps me going easy until 3 or 4... Also learning to love dried apricots

I have found a new addition to the range bag for lunch - Underwood Chicken Spread. There's enough in one can for two sandwiches and goes great on crackers with cheese.

Is that the one in the wrapper with the little devil on it? That stuff is kinda amazing. :devil:

I have found a new addition to the range bag for lunch - Underwood Chicken Spread. There's enough in one can for two sandwiches and goes great on crackers with cheese.

Is it safe to make a sandwish with this stuff at home and have it in a range bag all day in the heat of summer? There's probably enough preservatives that it's fine. . just wondering.

if the day is going to be super long past 6pm, i'll pack a cold cut sandwich sans mayo. usually i'll use the non-deli processed meats (yuk!) but they're the only ones i trust to hold up without a cooler for 14 hours before eating. otherwise, i love my PBJs. :) that goober stuff is particularly jacked up on preservatives - needs no refrigeration at home. i don't like the idea of eating so many chemicals, but hey i'm out shooting guns and smoking cigars. what's a little msg. :cheers:

Clif bars represent!

Usually have one on the drive to the match then another when I'm 3/5 or 5/10 stages in (depending on how many stages I'm shooting that day).

Peanut Crunch Chocolate chip and Macadamia are me favorites.

Espresso and doughnut on the drive to the range. Water, electrolytes and pizza during the day. Probably don't need the electrolytes since the pizza is so salty, but it's what I'm used to.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Dehydration is always a big fear for me, and so is drinking too much and having to run to the can frequently.

I'm a member of the Iron Butt Association and log a lot of straight hours on a motorcycle, often multiple days. Like when I'm shooting, I don't want to get dehydrated, but I don't want to have to pee a lot either. Something I learned from a medical type that I've ridden with is that dehydration affects the elasticity of your skin. On a normal day pinch the skin on the back of your hand and let it go. It will normally go back to normal relatively quickly. The more time it stays "tented" up and the slower it goes down the more dehydrated you are. With a little experimentation you can learn how that skin is behaving and how it's affecting your performance based on hydration.

A couple years ago in the middle of a 1,564 mile ride that was completed in 21.5 hours a riding companion and I were stopped for gas and a quick pee in Dillon Montana. We were standing at the urinals in the gas station talking about the color of our pee (when you're getting dehydrated your pee typically gets dark). A funny old guy told us that we weren't old enough to be talking about the color and consistency of any bodily functions yet.

Like others here, I'm a big fan of Cliff Bars, and also some of the gel packs that you can get at REI and similar places.