Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads - Just starting

Superdave911

welcome to the forums Dave!

Winchester, Federal, Remington or CCI small pistol primers will do the job.

Solo 1000 or TiteGroup are fine powder choices.

Head on over here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=52 and read up. GREAT videos there too.

Make sure you pick up a Reloading Manual (or three, very soon).

cheers.gif

Jim

Edited by Jman

Welcome!

As usual JMan is spot-on. Those are fine choices when used with a bit of common sense and a good manual or three plus the 'ABC's of reloading'. For a brand new reloader, I personally like to suggest a medium burn rate powder like Unique or WSF (Winchester Super Field). These provide a more gradual pressure curve and leave a bit more room for error (ie. bullet set-back etc..).

If your pretty normally pretty cautious, you should be fine with Titegroup or Solo 1000. Personally Solo is my favorite powder. Nice soft recoil impulse, burns pretty clean and fills cases much better than Titegroup (less chance of a double charge).

Make sure you browse the reloading section and ask lots of questions.

Good luck and stay safe!

TG is a great powder been running it with great results in 40 for a long while now. But can double charge easily.... I would agree a pound of slower stuff might be a good route to start with than switch over to the faster stuff. If you know someone that already reloads they can provide great insight on ur ?'s to. When I first started I bought a book called the ABC's of reloading helped me understand the basic's at least so I wasent going into it blind. Welcome aboard!

As suggested above, I started with Unique powder since it is everywhere and easy to use. I still have never tried anything else after about 20K rounds of 9, .40, .45 and .38. I'm sure other powders may be better for certain aspects of shooting, but I'm happy enough to stick with Unique for now (especially if shooting lead).

I strongly prefer CCI primers over others since I sometimes hand-seat primers and they are the easiest for me to fully seat. On the other hand, I think they need to be struck harder than some of the others (Federal) to go off. Some triggers jobs on Glocks might not touch them off reliably. Just something to think about.

May we assume you have an all stock gun and plan to keep it that way?

I prefer Winchester small pistol (WSP) primers and Winchester Super Field (WSF) for the reasons mentioned already. Especially if you plan to load full power loads, WSF has the smoothest pressure curves with low spikes of any powder in a Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glock, so it should be the same in a Gen 4 Glock. This means a steady and safe pressure.

N320, Clays, TG are okay for mid-powered loads, but not a good choice for full power loads due to the pressure spikes. They are faster and in a facotry Glock barrel WILL work the brass, producing bulge, more than Unique or WSF.

I also get great results out of my Glock 22 with this load.

155 grain hornady xtp 6 grains of wsf and winchester small pistol primer set to a 1.125 OAL.

works great in my xd and my glock 22

ALSO I would STRONGLY recommend the lee factory crimp die. The 40s&w is EXTREMELY senstive to OAL and setback issues. The factory crimp die in my experiance once you have it adjusted right puts an absolute PERFECT tamper crimp on the round.

I would Also suggest maybe looking into a lone wolf bbl for your glock 22. I have one and even running max loads with wsf I never see a case bulge. with the facotry bbl even with low grain target loads it swells up the case and neither my rcbs or lee size die will remove it. I have to use an undersize die to size them correctly.

I happen have a brand new glock 22 extended dual port 40s&w to 9MM conversion bbl made by lone wolf that works flawlessly. thats the great thing about the glock 22 you can shoot 3 calibers with doing nothing but changing a bbl and mag.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought all my stuff (great advice from all that responded) and was able to get Federal small pistol pimers, Zero bullets (180 grs JHP), and powder (Solo 1000). I have a buddy doing my reloads (he's teaching me how) but he shoots an Infinity 40 cal custom (needing a longer bullet/more grains) where I am shooting a Glock 22 Gen 4 (standard barrel). Any good insight on how many grains to use to make major power factor?

I loaded Dave 200 rounds tonight for him to try. I got the load data from Solo 1000

5.7 grains of Solo 1000 under a

180 grain Winchester JHP

loaded to 1.125

It made 955 FPS out of a 4" test barrel.

FWIW, this was the first time I've adjusted anything since Lee Neel set up my 650. I was fairly amazed at how easy it was to set for the the new OAL and powder charge. Cool Stuff :cheers:

• 1 month later...