Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which auto for inexpensive light loads?

Five of Clubs

I have been shooting clays with some good friends using an old Remington 1148 (made in 1957) for the past few years. The old gun runs like a top, but it's been in the family for a while and shooting 2k shells per year through it will eventually wear out parts that will be hard to replace. On top of that, I'm just ready for a new shotgun. :D My local club runs shotgun side matches after USPSA shoots sometimes that look pretty fun. Therefore, I'd like a new auto that is 3-gun capable.

Here is the rub, the auto must run at least 99% on Walmart-type bulk cheap shells. My buddies and I all shoot each others guns and ammo, and sometimes one of the guys will find a deal on shells and buy a ton of them. We subsequently end up all shooting the same stuff. It wouldn't be the end of the world to use slightly more expensive ammo, but it would definitely be inconveniant.

Anyway, I have an older Colt AR that I can probably get $1,000 for at the next gun show, so that plus a few bucks is my budget. I've searched and read this forum as much as I could and it looks like a Winchester SX3 has a light piston option that might work. I tried one on at a local shop and if fit well. A Remington 1100 would probably be my first choice, but they don't fit well and I've never been able to hit with them. So I guess my questions are: Will a Benelli M2 run on light loads? One of the guys I shoot with has some version of a Benelli that is very inconsistent with the shells we use. Is a Browning Silver close enough to the SX2/3 that it can be used? These are the guns I've found around the $1K mark. Is the Mossberg 930 proven enough one way or the other? Any others I'm missing? Thanks much.

I have a Mossberg 930SPX that has run about 500 rounds of Walmart with zero malfunctions. And that was more in the $600 range.

The local Bass Pro has a 930 field-type model for $449. That's why I threw that in there, so I can leave the Colt in the safe for now. If they work, I wouldn't be opposed to saving money and being happy!

Regarding the FN, do you have a light-load piston installed? From what I read on this forum that gun is basically an SX2 and some of the FNs come with 2 pistons. I don't mind a break-in period if I can eventually get the thing to be reliable with the cheap shells.

Thanks again guys, this site is extremely informative.

I have a Mossberg 930SPX that has run about 500 rounds of Walmart with zero malfunctions. And that was more in the $600 range.

The local Bass Pro has a 930 field-type model for $449. That's why I threw that in there, so I can leave the Colt in the safe for now. If they work, I wouldn't be opposed to saving money and being happy!

Regarding the FN, do you have a light-load piston installed? From what I read on this forum that gun is basically an SX2 and some of the FNs come with 2 pistons. I don't mind a break-in period if I can eventually get the thing to be reliable with the cheap shells.

Thanks again guys, this site is extremely informative.

1. The 930SPX is very inconsistent. Some get good ones, more get ones that don't work. The sights also aren't conducive to 3 gun.

2. The SLP does come with two pistons. I have the light one installed. I had no break in period needed. I took mine apart, cleaned and lubed, and shot it. It ran like a scalded cat out of the box.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I had BAD experiences with my 930SPX and traded it for an FN SLP Mk1 with no regrets. It's set up for 3 gun right out of the box, so no other cost is involved to get started. Of course you can put other doodads on it to make it a little better, but as it is stock it's great.

What is the fit problem with the 1100? Might be a cheap fix on one

I have fired about 100 shells through two different 1100s and really wanted to like them. The recoil is mild, they can be had cheap and parts are everywhere. I just couldn't smash my face down far enough on the stock to sight down the rib. The sight picture I had was the barrel pointed upwards. I suppose I could look for a stock with more drop, but I guess I just got turned off.

I wouldn't want an SPX or SLP for clays, but the SLP platform used on the SX2/3 sounds more reliable than the 930.

What about the Benelli M2 and Browning Gold/Silver? My guess is that since the Browning can take the same light piston as the SX3 and SLP, it should run. How does the Benelli run on light loads? My friends wouldn't run a magazine full last time out, but it may not have been an M2. Thanks again guys.

Edited by Five of Clubs

The drop on all the guns listed should be pretty similar. At the factory drop on any of them it would be pretty uncommon for them to shoot low unless your riding the stock pretty far forward. Big thing in a shotgun is to pattern the gun to see where it shoots.

On ammo, I would Go with the Federal walmart 100 packs over the winchester. The federals just run better than the winchester bulks. I have seen numerous problems with the winchesters. I would say go federal, then remington, then winchester for the 100 boxes. At 3 dram 1 1/8 oz thats not exactly a light load and should run on pretty much any gun

Edited by EkuJustice

I have an old HK/Benelli M1 taht is reliabe with Winchester and Federal bulk shells from Walmart. It will also run the 1oz Winchester Super Speed loads. A friend of mine has an M1 that was made around the same time frame and his will run all of the above also.

Hurley