Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cool Thunderbird Video

Precision40

With an F-16, one automatically thinks "engine failure" but it sure looks like he just screwed up and didn't have enough altitude for his loop.

The official accident report said something to the affect of "He determined his height needed to be 1500 ft. to perform that loop when it fact the minimum had to be 2500 ft. The report also said he lost his slot on the team and has been reassigned to another job at the Pentagon. Oops!!!

I have a neat still taken from outside I'll send you, but I don't know how to post pics on this site.

I heard it was a confusion between MSL and AGL. Not being a snob but for those who ain't airplane geeks like me, MSL is "Mean Sea Level" an arbitrary plane in space you do calculations from, and AGL is a true "Above Ground Level" measurement.

These guys do calculations and determine that they need "X amount" of space to pull "Y" maneuver. Something like "I need 2500 MSL, and we are at 1000 field elevation so I'll start things at 3500 MSL".

Sometimes MSL and AGL are very close, like here in FLorida, other times like in the video....that are not.

Here's the link to the original picture, it's big, 3008 x 1960.

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/DavisTbirdEject.jpg

FROM AVWEB:

"AVweb has confirmed that the image last Thursday posted to our Picture Of The Week section of Capt. Christopher Stricklin's Sept. 14, 2003, ejection from Thunderbirds jet number 6 -- roughly eight-tenths of a second before aircraft impact -- is in fact authentic. It was shot by Staff Sgt. Bennie J. Davis III, Still Photographer, U.S. Air Force, from the catwalk atop the tower at Mountain Home AFB, and was not officially released by the Air Force until last Friday afternoon.

For the photographically inclined, Staff Sgt. Davis said he shot images with a Nikon D1X camera using a 300-mm lens with an aperture setting of 2.8 and shutter speeds of 1/1000 and 1/2000. For the now famous (and now official) shot, Davis "waited for the aircraft to level and clicked the shutter." And yes, he did experience some concern that the jet, which the Air Force says Stricklin turned away from the crowd, appeared instead to be directed at the tower. By his own account, the wreckage stopped just 100 feet shy of the tower's base. The nature of the lenses involved offer explanation for the automobiles so clearly visible in Davis' still image, but absent from the in-cockpit video. The picture and story have generated a great deal of material, rumors and interest. So we invite you to enjoy: "

The article is at http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_05a/briefs/186582-1.html

I have a relative who has the rare double. And yes two ejections does end your job as pilot in the armed services, even if neither ejection was pilot related. Strike aircraft, even when he dumded his, were still very expensive. The guy in the video should go buy a lottery ticket, he is very lucky.

• 8 months later...

From another view, an amateur video from the airshow line.

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/tbird.wmv

Article and links http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_06a/briefs/186633-1.html.

IMHO, this guy screwed the pooch. I have no sympathy for those that make basic flight school 101 errors.

As the quotation goes "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity, or mistakes."

As the quotation goes "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity, or mistakes."

Hmm ... sounds a bit like our sport too doesn't it ?