Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

upgrade to 650?

I currently have a 550 and would consider myself a casual reloader. Currently set up for 5.56, 9mm, 45acp, 357sig, 44mag, 6.5G, 458Socom, and will be loading for 308 soon. Am I to vested to consider stepping up to a 650? Guys who have had both, what are your thoughts? I have no real issues with the 550, just have some expendable money that I could toss towards this is all.

Thoughts?

At this time .458 Socom cant be loaded on the 650. The rebated case locks up in the casefeeder. Just FYI. More than anything else, it depends on volume of ammo you need, and how much time you have available to load, as to which machine best meets your needs. If you only have 500 pieces of brass, stick with the 550. If you keep your brass in a bucket, then you truly need a 650.

Definitely you need a 1050-not. The 1050 is superior when loading one caliber. I use it for multiple calibers but I purchased more tool heads which are not cheap. I am not fast at changing out my tool heads and adjusting everything but I am pretty good at it. I also load thousands at a time. I set apart different times of the year and just blast through one caliber. I get my stock pile then move onto the next caliber. I am a big fan of the 1050. I am glad I invested in one. I would buy a second if I had the need, money and mostly the space for it.

My good friends have the 650 set up. THey can quickly change out tool heads. With that many calibers it might be cheaper and easier to go with the 650.

A case feeder and auto indexing is a big plus.

I have a 650 and love it. If I were to total up what I have in the 14 sets of dies, conversion kits, and tool heads it would be a lot. With the case feeder now available for the 550 I think I would be leaning more toward that unless my needs demand more production. But then I'm a tight a$$ old German

What parts are interchangeable between the 550 and 650?

The Locator Buttons, that's about it!

(There may be one or two screws also, but none of the "important" caliber conversion-type parts are interchangeable.)

Toolheads, Shellplates, and Primer System parts are machine-specific.

Powder measures, roller handle, 550/650 strong mount. The 550 casefeeder can be used on the 650, but you have to order a part from Dillon (I don't remember the name or part number, but Dillon can help you out.) $35 for the casefeed switchplate part beats $200 plus for a new casefeeder.

I currently have a 550 and would consider myself a casual reloader. Currently set up for 5.56, 9mm, 45acp, 357sig, 44mag, 6.5G, 458Socom, and will be loading for 308 soon. Am I to vested to consider stepping up to a 650? Guys who have had both, what are your thoughts? I have no real issues with the 550, just have some expendable money that I could toss towards this is all.

Thoughts?

Check these out if you haven't seen them:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which