Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan .45 question....

CDPMatt

Looking at going back to SS once again and quit shooting Open for awhile (hey, I like to switch divisions). I had a Kimber series 1 that I originally shot in USPSA as an IDPA crossover shooter. I have sold the Kimber and am looking for another 1911 to fill the bill for USPSA SS. I am looking at the Spartan pretty hard and was wondering for $200 would it be worth it to get the Dawson enhancement package or are the parts within a Spartan going to get replaced pretty soon anyhow? I've searched and read here that several people were happy with the Dawson Packages on Trojans and a good friend had a "Fast Six" Limited gun built by Dawson and he's very happy with the work. The only other STI I have is a frame/slide on my Bedell Open gun. Just wondering if it's practical on a "less expensive" 1911 such as the Spartan. Thanks in advance....

Matt

I got one in 9mm recently and have been pleased with it. I had looked at the trojan but didnt like the stippling on the trojan. I would rather have the spartan and eventually get the front strap checkered the way i like it and get it refinished with the finish I like. I figured with the spartan I could customize it more the way I wanted it and have less money in it than say a trojan out of the box.

Hello: I have a Spartan 45 and 9mm. The 45 has over 5000 rounds and ran good right from the start. The only part I have changed is the sear spring to an Ed Brown. I tried to tweak the original one and it broke :surprise: I did change out the front sight to a narrower Dawson fiber. I also have a Dawson no gap magwell and use Wilson 47D's with no gap base pads. I changed the mag release to a extended one. The pistol is great for the money and shoots great. The parts I changed out are ones I like to use so you may like different stuff. I still have the single sided thumb safety since it works and I have not needed an ambi to many times. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Guys, I'm pretty dead set on the Spartan.... unless I find a .40 Springer in the classifieds :)

About the Dawson Enhancement Package.... worth it on a lower end gun like a Spartan for them to go through it or take my chances???

I've been thinking along the same lines, a Dawsonized Spartan, probably 9mm for cheaper ammo, with Dawson's enhancement package (and I have the same questions about it as the OP), magwell, short trigger, and thin grips, and probably a thinner front FO sight.

I'm back and forth between the ideas of having the Ice magwell and the STI trigger, for a more "race gun" look, or getting a solid trigger and a S&A magwell for a more "traditional" look. Grip tape on the front strap, for now, probably, but checkering and a refinish on down the road somewhere.

I would just get the std spartan and not the dawson package. Spend the money on a magwell and a different front sight if the one on it is too big of a fiberoptic. When I got mine I switched the recoil spring for a lighter one and shot it and its been 100%. The mainspring housing needs to be shorter to add a techwell mag well which I love due to the size(not needed with a dawson since it replaces the mainspring housing). I just took some material off the bottom of the housing to shorten it up and you can't even see it since there is a magwell there

I have a Spartan .45. After working out what it likes or does not like it has become a very reliable gun. Get a new front sight from Dawson as they have the correct dovetail cut, it's not an STI cut(I think it's a Novak). I use 47DEs, with the front of the pads shaved off to fit the box, a Techwell TGO and roundnose 230's(did not like the SWCs). I have also changed the extractor to an Aftec for better feeding reliability. 6000 rounds and an Area Championship later, all is well. The mainspring housing is plastic and just needs to be shaved off a little to fit magwells, frame is a little shorter then normal...

Mine has been touched by Benny at Triangle and functions flawlessly. Using 185 SWC with both hard cast and Precisions creating no problems. I think the gun is a great "bang for the buck" single stack....

SVI magwell and Tripp mags and a Dawson front sight...... cheers.gif

I think the frame is normal size, the MS housing is just long. I took an extra one and slid it on and it fit flush. I did modify the original since i want to keep the polymer one

There's some slight variations.On a new, never shot gun, I replaced the MSH with a Brown MSH/magwell. The hammer would go into half cock when I released the slide. I then replaced the hammer and hammer strut. Things seemed OK then. Playing with it, I discovered that with it C&L'd, slide safety on, when I pulled the trigger, took my finger off of the trigger and swiped off the slide safety, the hammer would fall. I went back to the stock hammer, hammer strut and MSH, it worked the way it was designed to work. I think that the 1/2 mil difference in the MSH threw the whole thing outta wack.

I didn't try it with the OEM MSH and a different hammer strut.

I've owned 3 Spartan's. 2 in 45acp and one in 9mm. 2 were worked over by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. All 3 great guns.

My suggestions. Buy it !! Send it to Benny for the following:

2.5# Trigger Job (If you plan on shooting IDPA, have him leave the grip safety active)

Replace front sight with Dawson 0.40 F/O front sight

Install Ed Brown ambi safety (optional)

Install Dawson " no gap" magwell

14# ISMI recoil spring

Then purchase:

Tripp Cobramags & the Dawson base pads for the no gap magwell for Tripp mags.

Just add some skateboard tape to the frontstrap and shoot the snot out of it :cheers:

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Dawson makes a replacement sight that is specific to the spartan cut. I have one coming in for mine but have the FO out of the factory one till it comes in

Do you know what the specs for the standard FO Spartan front FO sight? What is the recommended replacement size? I want to go to a all black front on Spartan 9mm, staying consistent with my other game guns.