Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like fun, BUT an Area match that you must shoot over 3 days is just not feasible. When you add up 3 nights in a hotel, 3 days worth of eating out, air fair, car rental, days of lost work, and four days away from my family, the match just gets too expensive. A multi-day nationals I can justify, but a 3-day Area match is unfortunately something many of us must pass on.

In addition to the match being a USPSA Area match and a 2004 Points Series Championship match, approval is also in the works for it to be an IPSC Level III match, so there may be a number of overseas shooters taking part this year to add to the interest.

David,

That's unfortunate...especially for those of us who would like to see more of folks like yourself in the Production division.

Area 4 last year was 11 shooters, hopefully we'll have more this year .

I agree that the 3-day event seems to be a bit much. Being relatively new to the game, I'm quite sure that there is a tremendous amount of effort and coordination involved in running a match with 200-300 shooters. I do understand that the vendors/sponsors like to get as much time as possible in front of shooters...maybe this has been tried & failed, but it would seem to reason that more shooters attending a 2-day match would translate to more shooters walking through the vendor tents. Yes/no?

I've not attended any of the other area matches yet, but from the 2004 application forms it appears that the Area-3, -5, and -8 matches are 2-day affairs (at max, I think they are scheduled to be shot in 1-day, with maybe the 2nd day as a just-in-case day???).

Anyway, just some food for thought...I'm for the 2-day format for the reasons you stated.

As far as match format goes:

I prefer to shoot an Area/State match in 1 day. Actually I prefer 1/2 day format. Thankfully, in the NorthEast where I live, all big matches are traditionally shot in either 1/2 day or in 1 day.

As for Area matches in 2003: The 3,5,7,8 (of which I attended all) were each shot in 1 day.

Each match directory can put on an Area or State match with any shooting schedule that they want. It is the shooters' choice whether to attend or to not attend and at least for me, the shooting schedule is a large factor when considering whether or not to shoot a match.

Side note: The 2004 Area 6 is a two day (Sat/Sun) match, but the match directory allows a shooter to shoot the complete match on Friday along with the match staff. Obviousily I will be shooting the A6 this year -- on Friday.

wow, David, only what I've been saying/writing for 3 years! It's really a pity, because the match is good, and the people are great. But if I factor in hotel and lost wages, it is so expensive that I cannot afford it any more. No less expensive than FGN and RGN last year.

I will have to pass on it again...

All yours, Matthew :D:D:D

--Detlef

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm.  A 50 yard standards.....don't see those much anymore.

What??!?! That was my downfall last time me and Detlef crossed paths. :o

That was only 40 yards Matt. This gives you an extra 10 which will make it easier!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a guess, but the staff and ROs shoot the first and the rest of the competitiors shoot the other two? 3rd says ROs, so wouldn't this be a two day match for all but staff? TXAG

PS should read a little closer, 3-6. Is a three day match. Couldn't swing that. Wish I could be there.

Anybody whos been before know if there is camping (tent/rv parking) allowed or nearby? I saw on the net that they have six RV slots with hookups, I'll call tomorrow but I have an idea those will be long gone. I have slept in Wal-Mart parking lots before and I'm not afraid to do it again, hotels be damned.

Alan Elam

Alan, there should be space for you to hook up at the range. There are 6 spots between the range and the shop at the Clark's place that are for campers, however, if you are willing to go self-contained, you can probably park near one of the other buildings and get water and power, you just won't be able to empty the tank there.

At least that's how it's been in the past.

Troy