Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match today

Wellison

Today in Spartanburg (where I've shot IDPA before) I shot my first (real) USPSA match. The fun-o-meter busted from overload. :D I think my shooting actually was more accurate because I wasn't having to think about cover, concealment, tactical priority, or tactical sequence. But I'm conflicted. I just renewed my IDPA membership. I don't know if my family or budget can take both sports. Ok. It's off to the USPSA website to download the rule book. This will require some serious study. :P

-Will

Which one puts a bigger smile on your face?

That's the one

Ah ha. See this is the type of super-technical information I was seeking when I joined this forum. I guess I'll have to shoot one of each again to test this method. :)

The answer is right in front of you..... I Don't Participate Anymore

Glad to see you had a good time today, I was in squad 3. There were about 20 people more than normal today. Things ran smooth though, our squad was done by 2pm. Also, lots of Production friendly stages. :D

A few years ago, I tried to shoot IDPA and IPSC,

and couldn't do it.

Every time I shot IDPA, I'd drop the mag when

it was time for a reload, and they penalized me

for it:((

So, I had to choose. And I've been shooting

IPSC ever since. No more IDPA for me -

just too restrictive.

Glad you had a good time.

With all of the special rules in IDPA I can see where you had more fun at the IPSC match. When IDPA first started I gave it a try. Seemed like every time I showed up there was a new rule. I can understand that in a new organization. But they got rediculous.

IPSC is more FREESTYLE and I like that idea.

Well I suggest that you keep both on your radar. I shoot both, but primarily USPSA due to the ranges that hold it being nearer (until recently). Yes you have cover, priority, and reloading issues in IDPA which you must deal with. Based on the idea that IDPA is a sport that tries to simulate self defense that makes sense. I do have to remember which sport that I am participating in when I go from one to the other, but being that I shoot revolver it is not such a drastic change to me.

Focus on which one you enjoy more, but I have found that doing some of both works for me.

I was in squad 4 where I met JFowler. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. I learned a few of the rule differences between IDPA and USPSA. I really enjoyed talking to the older guys. They may not have been the fastest but they hit more A's than anyone else. One fellow told me he'd been shooting action pistol since the late seventies. Wow. There's no question that USPSA/IPSC is more enjoyable than IDPA. IDPA offers a different challenge. I may end up shooting more USPSA matches with a few IDPA ones thrown in. BTW I completely disagree with the notion that IDPA is training for deadly force encounters. It's just a game with rules.

-Will

Welcome, Will! There's no reason not to do both. For me it's whatever is close and convenient (though if all else is the same, I'm doing USPSA).

I've only made one match at that range in Spartanburg but I was very impressed with the people (even Glenn). The stage designs there ROCKED! We even copied one of theirs for our match in Augusta yesterday.

How far are you from Columbia? There's a really good match there on the 2nd Saturday of each month.

Gomer...we missed you and your canopy yesterday! It wasn't as hot as when you were here, but that little bit of shade makes a huge difference. Thanks again.

You going to make it this week?

Wellison, you should try to make it to a match in Columbia. They put on a great match. They usually include some kind of lunch with your match fee. Excellent shooters there and the match is a well oiled machine.

I have to agree with shooting both. I am not a IDPA shooter but anytime you can get trigger time in it a good thing. Just remember,BOTH IDPA and USPSA are a game. Games are made to be fun, so keep shooting and most important HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you enjoyed the match, I also shoot both, but by far I enjoy USPSA. The IDPA is trigger time, but after and IDPA match, I really can't say I enjoyed myself, but even after a bad USPSA match, I'm smiling and not frustrated. Renew IDPA in May 2011?????

I started shooting IDPA a couple of months ago and really didn't even know anything else existed, but since I've started I keep hearing over and over about USPSA. Time to give it a try, sounds like IDPA on your own terms?

Congratulations!! I love hearing about people getting hooked to the shooting sports. I'm personally a long time USPSA shooter and started IDPA last year.

I believe Trigger time is trigger time, each game has rules to follow and we as shooters strive to perform to the best of our abilities. Admittedly, I do sense competitiveness between the two camps, it's like "My MMA is better than your Brazilian Jujitsu!"

I learned this quote from the late Mr. Ed Parker - "There are no pure styles of Karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh, no matter who delivers or who receives"

I'm after the end result, Shooting Skill.

I agree with the guys that say you should do both.

My hart is with uspsa, but the main reasons why I shoot idpa are

1)The scoring system in IDPA puts more enfacies in accuracy.

This is great practice for Ipsc where one can get complesent and get in the habit of just shooting at the target instead of shooting at the a zone.

2)the idpa shoot by numbers formula While not as fun does force you to work on more detailed stage programing skills. This comes in handy when shooting memory stages in Ipsc.

The way I see it Ipsc is my favorite shooting sport but shooting other disciimes such as idpa and steel challenge while not as fun they do make you a better shooter over all.

And being a better over all shooter will allow you to dominate in the Ipsc world.

And what's more fun than dominating :)

And being a better over all shooter will allow you to dominate in the Ipsc world.

yeah really the goal is just to become a better gun-handler/shooter in general and just be good at everything. not have any big weaknesses in any one area.

Edited by Field

This is great practice for Ipsc where one can get complesent and get in the habit of just shooting at the target instead of shooting at the a zone.

2)the idpa shoot by numbers formula While not as fun does force you to work on more detailed stage programing skills. This comes in handy when shooting memory stages in Ipsc.

The way I see it Ipsc is my favorite shooting sport but shooting other disciimes such as idpa and steel challenge while not as fun they do make you a better shooter over all.

Nice comparisson, I might stick in IDPA for a little longer, thanks

I don't know if my family or budget can take both sports.

I'm in a similar situation and have been focusing on IDPA. I just shot my first USPSA match over the weekend though (and got trounced by John Z Sr, despite him having a "bad day" <_< ) and see IDPA & USPSA emphasize different skill sets, so one ought to help the other. Also, I'd hate to know I have a glaring deficiency, so by shooting both, I'll be a better all-around shooter.

Excellent points Carlos. I hadn't quite figured out why I wasn't ready to give up IDPA. And here you've gone and given me the reasons. Thanks!

I started shooting IDPA a couple of months ago and really didn't even know anything else existed, but since I've started I keep hearing over and over about USPSA. Time to give it a try, sounds like IDPA on your own terms?

You definitely need to give USPSA / IPSC a shot, PBA2 (pun intended). It is action shooting "on your on terms". Except that your shooting positions are more defined by ports that you shoot though. Most of the targets are not going to be visible from the starting position. I know this can be the case in many IDPA stages too but you'll have to shoot a match to see what I'm talking about. Paying close attention during the walk though is crucial to avoid FTE (failure to engage) penalties. I may be oversimplifying the differences but in IDPA you at least just need to remember the path you have to take though the stage because the targets are going to be fairly obvious. In USPSA you not only need to remember the path but also where all the targets are. I saw a few cases of shooters running right past targets because they were too focused on trying to go as fast as they could. More often I saw shooters forgetting about "hidden" targets. In stage 5 of last week's match in Spartanburg I almost forgot a target at the second port. As I approached the port I saw and engaged the three or four obvious targets and then took two quick steps towards the third port when I suddenly remembered that there was one more target off to the left at that second port. I had to slam on the brakes (I need to buy some cleats) and dash back to perforate it two times. USPSA can be more exhilarating than IDPA because you're running more and gunning more. Plus you don't have to worry about procedural penalties which in my opinion severely ding the fun factor for IDPA. But as is mentioned above the two sports emphasize different but complementary aspects of the discipline.

-Will

I guess one of the nice things about shooting in the IDPA format is, when you've just begun shooting and are like me you have little in the way of

1) Mags

2) Mag Pouches

3) Ammo

4) holsters that are fast

It is easy on the budget. But I'm quickly trying to acquire more of 1-4 so I can try this USPSA. Mags done, holster done, Dillon 550 for ammo done. Just need 2 more mag pouches for my G34. :lol: getting closer! so close!

I guess one of the nice things about shooting in the IDPA format is, when you've just begun shooting and are like me you have little in the way of

1) Mags

2) Mag Pouches

3) Ammo

4) holsters that are fast

It is easy on the budget. But I'm quickly trying to acquire more of 1-4 so I can try this USPSA. Mags done, holster done, Dillon 550 for ammo done. Just need 2 more mag pouches for my G34. :lol: getting closer! so close!

If you're short on magazines you can always ask to shoot limited division and then you can load to capacity. Two mags will get you though most stages that way.

-Will