Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage or Disadvantage to being an S/O?

beltjones

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Your hearing takes more of a continuous beating if it is a stage where people have to shoot next to a barricade or other prop that causes sound to bounce at you

This is the reason I had to stop being an SO. I have crappy hearing as it is and all that extra beating was making it worse. I have actually thought about giving up the sport all together just for this reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think being an SO is conducive to shooting your best at a match. At sanctioned matches in this area, you typically have to set up and shoot in the same day. Where I usually work all of the SO's are run through in an afternoon after setting up and that is usually where the bugs are worked out so you get to race the daylight to get the SO's through before the sun goes down. At least the pay is great and I get to shoot the match for free! :0) But I seriously do enjoy SO'ing it is good to give back to our sport.

I especially like the crews of SO's at the sanctioned matches that will set all the resets and paste all the targets. I think it is great because it lets the shooters focus on their shooting. The crew I work with does this and it always seems to work out well and I know most of the shooters are appreciative.

I'll start this by saying I am not an SO, but have considered it. I think it depends on what your goals are. If someone is interested in dominating the sport in the shortest time, it's probably not the fast track.

If you want to push yourself in a match, no one works harder than the SOs. I haven't done it because I have handled the score sheet and that is enough work for me as a newb. I definitely want to RO/SO in the future. It is a good way to give back and offers the SO a break when they are ready to shoot. Sort of part time SO if you will.

Either way, you are stating you are interested to try it. You already shoot. This will do nothing but help you to understand the sport even better. If you don't like it, stand down at any time. I don't see what there is to lose. The experienced shooters always appreciate the SO. Especially the ones who break up the coffee clutch that can form in the back when pasting time comes :) I think being a good SO is a challenge in and of itself. Especially with first time shooters. When I'm up to it, I look forward to signing up.

Just a newb opinion,

Paul

I am an SO and I enjoy it. I also enjoy shooting. However, I don't enjoy shooting and being an SO at the same time. I find that it's too hard to concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing. Being an SO is something that I take serious and I want to make sure that I am 100% focused on the task at hand. I can't do that if I'm trying to load mags, get my gear ready to shoot etc.

I have enjoyed this thread highly. It's been some five months since I shot last due to work and the very issue I was debating was whether or not to go back to SO'ing at the matches. The main concern I had was that it hurt my performance and it distanced me somewhat from non SO friends that I used to squad with. The So's are always a decent group of people and there is always something to learn. I have come to the conclusion that despite performance effects the best idea is to suck it up and carry the torch again to ensure that the "sport" will be around for new shooters yet to start. Thanks.

I have enjoyed this thread highly. It's been some five months since I shot last due to work and the very issue I was debating was whether or not to go back to SO'ing at the matches. The main concern I had was that it hurt my performance and it distanced me somewhat from non SO friends that I used to squad with. The So's are always a decent group of people and there is always something to learn. I have come to the conclusion that despite performance effects the best idea is to suck it up and carry the torch again to ensure that the "sport" will be around for new shooters yet to start. Thanks.

Had a match this last saturday. Have been SO at our little local club since it was established 4 years ago, and I have SOed every month for the exception of 4 or 5. This thread came to mind saturday after the match.

My performance is mine, and I do not want to blame it on anything. But there is something to be said about having to rush around, to the next stage where you are accomodated to the head of the line, briefed quicly and then shoot the stage. You will not shoot your best.

That said, I have enjoyed designing my stages, meeting and helping new shooters, keeping my club going, and keeping it light hearted and fun. Will I keep doing it, yes, but I am worried that it is in the back of my mind that I will not shoot my best when I SO. Do I wish we had more help so I have time to think or not have to work every match, yes for sure.