Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ tactical Sport vs Tanfoglio Limited HC

imknadian

I recently sold my Glock 35 that I used in IPSC Standard class. I wanted something that was more accurate and have been looking at the CZ Tactical Sport in .40. I am also looking at a used Tanfoglio Limited HC in .40 cal and noticed that it looks VERY similar to the CZ Tactical. Are they really that similar?

Anyone have either one? What do you like or dislike about them?

not 100% sure,but isn't tanfoglio an expensive CZ copy??(i might be wrong on that).

all i can say is that i own myself a tactical sport in .40 and i love it, but i may be biased because i'm a CZ fan myself.

sole thing is naturaly the slide stop who broke easily as with my shadow but it's no big deal, i keep the same slide stop for matches, and swing a different one for practice.

...and you must absolutly keep the extractor lever clean. me i take a tooth pick removing the goop once in a while...

other than that it's a great shooter very accurate, the only mods made were an LPA set of adjustable sights, couple springs i swapp depending of the ammo used, a trigger comp,a comp hammer(all from CZ custom) and i'm waiting for an alu magwell from CZ....only the grips left, i have big paws and i run after a set of thick alu grips, cant find'em at the moment.

...and on top of that (correct me folks if i'm wrong) but i think the tangy cost is well over the TS price tag...

here's a pic if you dont mind, he was in stock trim ATM. :cheers:

2yubos6.jpg

2wd96a8.jpg

The Tanfos are very similar, and are great guns.

Large-frame Tanfos actually have smaller grip frames than a TS - they feel in between a standard CZ and a TS. (It makes sense, because the TS really has superfluous material - hence why the CTS can exist.)

A friend of mine has a Stock 2 in .40S&W converted to SAO for Limited. I've shot it, and it's pretty dang nice.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Ok here is a pick of mine. http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=46 I have shot a lot of Limied Guns and the CZ TS is very good right out of the box. I added adjustable sights, and fiber Optic. The standard sight provides better accuracy but harder for old eyes to pick up. The CZ75 TS is just as good as or maybe even better than an STI or SVI, so it is a darn good gun. The down side is that you cannot load long ammo or shoot lead or moly coated bullets in the gun. You can but you will spend all your time cleaning the barrel. So shoot jacketed bullets and be happy.

The Tanfo is very similiar. Most Tanfo's get substantual work done on them so that said if a used one has all the stuff done to it then it would be a good buy. If you are buying new then go for the TS its ready to rock right out of the box. Get some base pads and pony up with 21+ 1 and let it rip.

Henning is the Expert on Tanfo's and he has all the stuff for them. I've shot with him a time or two and he can make that thing talk! He recently won the Texas State Limited and afterwards we were talking and I commented on the gun, and he said it was highly modified, and I said you think my STI isn't? And he laughed. Henning is a good guy and you can email him questions and he will answer.

The guys at CZ custom are also nice and just give them a call and ask them what you might want to do to the TS to make it talk fast.

I know a number of guys that have take the Witness Match did a little work and run them in Limited pretty well. The down side is it is a light gun where the stock and TS have more weight to absorb recoil. It is about skill level and preferences.

As others have said quite well, these are very similar guns. Built on the same design. Both are full steel gun, both have basically one primary source for parts/custom work. Henning and Angus not only both know their stuff but are great guys on top of it. You can jazz the CZ up a bit. either like I have here:

PICT0223.jpg

or direct from the CZ custom shop:

http://czcustom.com/cts9mmblueinv.aspx

(This shows a 9mm but it also available in .40)

I went to my local gun shop yesterday and took a look at both the CZ Tactical and a Tanfoglio. They are almost identical. The mags are even the same and we swapped them in both pistols and they seemed to fit. I do like the CZ and for the price difference, I think I will try to find one. I think the balance and weight of it would be better for recoil reduction compared to the Glock I used to have. I want to get away from the muzzle flip and a more accurate pistol than the Glock...that's why I am looking at the CZ's.

Since this is in the CZ section I'll be nice, the Tanfoglio is an improvement over the CZ design. The LTD has a bo-mar style rear sight and a unique/clean front sight. The checkering on both the front and back strap is very useful but if you want a smaller grip it can be sanded down easily. The beaver tail is cut and blended higher than the TS. The trigger on any factory gun can be improved, Henning and EGW has top quality fire control parts. You can shoot jacketed/plated and lead through the factory barrels and they are extremely accurate. Tanfoglio has fixed the slide stop pin issue and EGW has a non levered pin that is of good quality. The frame is drilled and tapped if one was to want a scope or add another top end to shoot Open. The LTD is easily tuned for ones desired shoot ability. There is alot more after market parts available to customize one if you so desire. Todays Tan. is an improvement over the days of the P-9 small frame. I maybe slightly biased towards the Tan. since I work on them quite often, if the 1911 wasn't around I would be shooting the Tan. and of course the XD/m to.

Rich

The mags are even the same and we swapped them in both pistols and they seemed to fit.

Er... large-frame Tanfo mags and CZ TS mags aren't compatible in the least. Completely different dimensions; neither mag will fit the opposite frame at all. I know this for a fact, as I have tried it. (As I recall, the CZ mags are wider side-to-side while the Tanfo mags are longer front-to-back.)

Small-frame Tanfos and standard CZs are another story - they often do interchange. One of our locals runs a small-frame .40 Tanfo in Open, and has one of the CZ factory extended mags that he uses in it on occasion.

Well, one has one of the best triggers out of the box that I've seen on a gun, has a longer sight radius, is significantly cheaper, and has a fabulous U.S. based importer who provides great support and works to accommodate the competition market.

The other is more expensive, doesn't have as good a trigger, has a shorter sight radius, and other than by one dedicated individual, is virtually unsupported, and is imported by possibly the worst importer in the U.S. firearms industry.

The choice would be pretty easy for me.

i have held both and shot both and like the ts over the tang

I have had both and they are both very nice pistols. I think out of the box the TS has a better trigger.. but I think it lacks a few of the pluses the Tanfo has.. Tanfo comes with a nice magwell, depending on when and where you get it they had factory alum grips and adjustable sight, steel guide rod. I personally think the controls on the Tanfo are a little easier to manipulate. The CZ's design is slightly different enough to give it an advantage on trigger jobs.

Both Pistols have people making parts for them, Angus or Henning. Between both of them you can get upgraded grips, sights, triggers, and parts for trigger jobs. CZ USA are good people to deal with and will help you with any problem, EAA Corp's support may not be as fast.

Leo