Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BrassMagnet netting to catch your brass?

Gryff

Interesting product:

http://www.brassmagnet.com/

The BRASS MAGNET® is a 100"x 144" nylon mesh brass collection net, lightweight only 6 pounds and comes with its very own, easy to store and carry “stuff bag.”

It comes with six convenient weighted handles that keep the Brass Magnet® in place and allows you to easily pick it up. It also has velcro tabs so you can hook them together to accommodate large training areas. Its unique design gives you a 75%-85% reduction in time conquering clean up with a few bends vs. a few hundred.

The Brass Magnet® is very durable and has been range tested using over 1 million rounds. From a .22 up to a .50 cal., the BRASS MAGNET® will perform flawlessly. It takes the heat so you don’t have to.

No longer lose your brass in the weeds; the BRASSMAGNET® can spread out and collect your brass over snow, mud, grass, gravel and more.

This sounded like a great product to have for practice until I saw the price...$120!!! Yikes!

Anyone have any idea of where to get netting tight enough to capture pistol brass, but flexible enough to fold up? It would need to be at least 8'x12' to be useful, although a longer roll isn't out of the question (split the cost of a longer roll?). A tarp works, but this sounds like it would be more convenient (and trap less dirt).

I saw this at the NRA Show few months ago. Looked really cool, but like you pointed out, when I saw the price, I moved along to the next booth. My Brass Wizard works just as well, less than half the cost, and I can use it during a match. Can't exactly put the netting down during a match to save your brass. For practice though I would imagine it's a lot easier. Brass Wizard is very good, but it does have its flaws.

5 bucks for a tarp from any ofthe big box stores works for me....120 bucks??? are they insane???? for roughly 25 i can hire my buddy's little kid to pickup my brass for me all day atthe match and buy him M-D's afterwards, and despite its flaws on some surfaces i love my nut wizard for brass pickup

Edited by calishootr

Check out the CED versions. They cost alot less. I think my friend figured out you can buy three CED's for the price of a brass magnet and cover about one and a half times the area. Plus you have much smaller nets to put in different places if you choose. I use a drop cloth or an old bed sheet but they will blow around in the wind and become a PITA. I will be getting a few CED's soon for practice. Our club uses the Brass magnet brand and they are awesome but like you say, $$$:surprise:

There is a thread around here somewhere about getting the material and making your own but it costs the same when all is said and done if I recall.

I bought a regular ol' hardware store tarp, and a grommet kit. I punched a few more holes between the already there grommets and then added more grommets. then I took a thin rope and wove it through the grommets...in out....in ...out...

spread that on the ground flat.

at the end of a shooting session or steel match stage, cinch the rope tight and throw the "potato sack" over my shoulder. at the end of the match, I carefully roll brass inside the tarp bag to one edge and then empty it into a 5 gallon bucket.

I bought one of these a couple/few years ago (when it was a little cheaper $90?). I tried the tarp thing and it didn't work so great even with rocks/weights holding the corners down. With the mesh, you don't have to worry about little rocks getting in with your brass and it stays down when the wind picks up.

It saves me probably 10 minutes each time I use it and I'm sure it helps me recover more of the brass that would get stuck between rocks. I thought the price was a little high when I bought and I would probably think twice at $120 but I would probably purchase it again.

(I'm not affiliated with this company.)