Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best contact manager..?

I have a stack of business cards going back for years..... I think its time to get a good (hopefully simple) contact manager.

I want something easily movable from one computer to the next as I trade laptops a couple of times a year.

What works well but is easy to learn and use?

Thanks for your suggestions. biggrin.gif

I have had a copy of ACT..long ago... I checked the pricing and Wow... Lot of $$$... Might have to just bite the bullet and pay though.

I travel all the time or I might stay with hard paper with my contact info but it is not really feasible to carry a card file.....

If you have a pile of cards I'd go with a Cardscan. It will scan the cards and pull all the relative info out of them for you. There is a decent contact manager built in and it integrates well with Outlook. You can also use their web contact manager as well.

It depends a lot on what you want to do. If all you want to do is keep a list of names and numbers with perhaps a short note, you can do that all in Excel. If you want a lot more than that, then you need some kind of database, which is where programs like Act come in.

Since you are starting with a bunch of cards, then it's probably worth starting with Cardscan and seeing what it can do for you. If you need more than that, then you can export data from Cardscan into something else.

I personally don't much care for Outlook, but if you've already got it, you might as well use it. If you don't then do a web search on PIM (Personal Information Manager), there are a lot of freeware and shareware versions with free trials. Take a little time to figure out what features you really want.

What Graham Smith said (about Excel). Excel is pretty versatile and you can use it as kind of a database management tool as well as just an organizer. I find myself using Excel for a lot of things. However, MSOutlook is built-in to most MSOffice packages and has positive and useful characteristics all its own.

Again, it depends on what your end-use for the data intends to be. Decide on that before investing in overkill expensive software that you may not need.

I have a stack of business cards going back for years..... I think its time to get a good (hopefully simple) contact manager.

I want something easily movable from one computer to the next as I trade laptops a couple of times a year.

What works well but is easy to learn and use?

Thanks for your suggestions. biggrin.gif

You may have described an address book instead of a contact manager?

(I am not sure of the differences anymore.)