Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What parts break in a CZ?

TannerB

I have a extra slide stop and I've had it for several years. My CZ is going on 20 years old and 50,000 rounds with no breakage save for a worn sear. What I do stay ahead of is mag parts. I keep extra springs, followers and base plates in my bag. I did put a XP extractor spring in about 5 years ago.

one note on the XP extractor spring, sometimes it can be so stiff that it won't even allow a round to chamber properly. since chambering a round means the hook has to ride up on the brass and apply tension, i've seen it twice where the XP spring wont' allow the brass to pass under the hook unless you slap the slide from behind, lol.

oh, and some people pack trigger return springs and the pin for that.

i also pack a couple pin punches in my tool kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, so are slide stops prone to breakage?

i've broken 2 to date, on my shadow specialy.

i keep 3 of'em all the time and use the same slide stop for competitions, then swapp for another one for plinking/practice wich i dont sling-shot the slide on all the time.

other than that and your typical toothpick-under-the-extractor session keeping the area clean,CZ's are tank solid.

the SS thing could be fixed easy with a TI unit or something....even,maybe angus is working on a new unit to be released soon, who knows :cheers:

I have two P9's that are copies of CZ's. They used to have the two piece safeties, which broke, so I replaced them with the one piece, broke an extractor after 50,000+ rounds, broke 1 slide stop (all the new parts are CZ parts so....)

I've heard slide stops and trigger springs but the only issue I have had was worn extractor springs. Didn't break, just lost tension. I put in extra power one from Angus but had to clip a coil off as it was too tight. I replaced a slide stop this year before a major just as a precaution. Springs are a maintenance item. Replace 'em all, including mag springs on a regular basis but I think that should be done on any gun. YMMV

Only part I've ever broken was a trigger return spring. I take a back up gun to all major matches, but parts wise I have one of each spring, slide stop, extractor, and fiber rods.

Jordan, I'll just steal yours next time if it breaks.

The factory mag break plates will wear and break. Angus sells a much thicker / better one that will not break. Mine broke from wear at the Gator Classic last year and I have found some information on the net about this being a small problem.

Only part I've ever broken was a trigger return spring. I take a back up gun to all major matches, but parts wise I have one of each spring, slide stop, extractor, and fiber rods.

Jordan, I'll just steal yours next time if it breaks.

Yeah sure, but the mag release is on the wrong side :devil:

I've had several trigger return springs break. I've also broken one slide stop and two of the competition rear sights from Angus. I've also had a extractor lose its edge. I'd have prepped backups of each.

I've seen 3 fixed rear sights break in the last 2 months at local matches.... just flew right off while shooting. The SP01 I have in the safe is a few years old and hasn't had any problems. I have had to change a couple slide stop springs on an 85 combat that was locking the slide back prematurely.

I've seen 3 fixed rear sights break in the last 2 months at local matches.... just flew right off while shooting. The SP01 I have in the safe is a few years old and hasn't had any problems. I have had to change a couple slide stop springs on an 85 combat that was locking the slide back prematurely.

Seems odd how they break rear sights.

Some of the aftermarket/custom-shop rear sights actually require additional clearance on the back of the slide to relieve stress. That is, the sight will usually still go in, but will be under additional (non-design) stress at the rearmost portion. This came up from Angus in a thread earlier this year; people have been buying the sights, installing them locally, and not checking for proper clearances to ensure the relief of this stress (i.e., a truly proper fit).

Other than those cases, the only other "broken" rear sights I have heard described in any detail are from adjustable ones. (The LPA TRT that most people use on the TS, for example, was not particular robust in my experience - one of two reasons why I switched to a Kensight.)

Some of the aftermarket/custom-shop rear sights actually require additional clearance on the back of the slide to relieve stress. That is, the sight will usually still go in, but will be under additional (non-design) stress at the rearmost portion. This came up from Angus in a thread earlier this year; people have been buying the sights, installing them locally, and not checking for proper clearances to ensure the relief of this stress (i.e., a truly proper fit).

Other than those cases, the only other "broken" rear sights I have heard described in any detail are from adjustable ones. (The LPA TRT that most people use on the TS, for example, was not particular robust in my experience - one of two reasons why I switched to a Kensight.)

These were all installed by Mink initially and are being warranteed.... Luckily He's just right up the road and in the same gun club.

The one that broke on my Shadow was installed in the CZ Custom shop.

What's a Kensight?

Thanks.

Edited by BlackSabbath

What's a Kensight?

A brand of sights, just as LPA is; Kensight was formerly sold as Champion.

I am going to see if a fixed Harrison Design rear will work on the TS, just have to get around to ordering one. (It's made for the same dovetail cut, but marketed only for 1911s; but then so are the Kensight adjustables.)