Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock Barrel or U-Die

38SuperDub

@JZip, when running lead through your Barsto, do you clean the lead out of it like you would Molly bullets? And is cleaning lead out of your barsto, is that a "chore?"

I clean all my barrels the same way. I just noticed a little more residue with the Barsto than the stock barrel of MY G17. I think charge weight, and bullet type could hvae alot to do with what results you are getting with which barrel. I like Barsto barrels in my BHPs primarily for accuracy. Alot of people have alot of stories with lead and accuracy/safety. I just started shooting Bear Creek/BBI because I coud get them when I needed bullets. I liked them so much I stuck with them. But, I don't push them overly fast, and do clean my barrels well. I don't always wait fot the 1K or 1.5K mark. But I know I can if I need to.

JZ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the confusion, since my last visit here I talked with a well seasoned .40 loader who has tried GRX and Udie. He recommends the Udie. He said the GRX is great but it is an extra step that is just not needed since the Udie did the job just as well.

WWB at Walmart for 27.99 is starting to look REALLLLY good and a lot less confusing -

Step 1 - Go to walmart

Step 2 - Give them money

Step 3 - Load gun and shoot

None of this UDIE GRX CRIMPING ODIE WEDIE mess LOL

To add to the confusion, since my last visit here I talked with a well seasoned .40 loader who has tried GRX and Udie. He recommends the Udie. He said the GRX is great but it is an extra step that is just not needed since the Udie did the job just as well.

And, I never needed the U die.

I just used a Lee 4-die set (includes the FCD). Cheap and easy.

Loaded lots of 40 for both a stock Glock barrel and with a KKM barrel.

Sure the U dies might work, but not if you're loading on a SDB like me. The extra step is not that big of a deal. Someday my son will be old enough to process the brass in the GRX. :devil:

Must admit, that is an excellent point. IF I were to take an extra step it would be the GRX.

I think the GRX looks like the best option right now - for me at least - Crack open a few beer, sit on the sofa - and run brass through the GRX until I can't see straight anymore (from the beer or just from running too many rounds). I'm really thinking the SDB as far as a machine will suit me the best - so a U-Die is out unless I run it on a Single Stage - which will be a LOT slower than the GRX (esp with the idea of a tub going to a box to catch all the brass)

OK, just got my GRX die and ss press in and have a question. For those of you using the GRX die, do you use the supplied lube or another type of lube or whatever?

TIA

Richard

PS: As I said before, I have a Udie and it works but the cases stick on the powder funnel even after polishing the h..l out of the funnel and lubing the cases. Hope the GRX works better!

OK, just got my GRX die and ss press in and have a question. For those of you using the GRX die, do you use the supplied lube or another type of lube or whatever?

TIA

Richard

PS: As I said before, I have a Udie and it works but the cases stick on the powder funnel even after polishing the h..l out of the funnel and lubing the cases. Hope the GRX works better!

I used the supplied lube till it ran out then i used what i had on the bench hornady unique or one shot works good. Brett

GRX isn't the answer either unless the press I got is too small. Can't even get some cases thru the die...have to beat them back out and hate to loose the brass. Cleaning the lube off the cases is another additional step I don't need. Guess I'll have to find someone with a CasePro or buy processed brass.

Richard

PS: Or give up shooting .40

Edited by chirpy

GRX isn't the answer either unless the press I got is too small. Can't even get some cases thru the die...have to beat them back out and hate to loose the brass. Cleaning the lube off the cases is another additional step I don't need. Guess I'll have to find someone with a CasePro or buy processed brass.

Richard

PS: Or give up shooting .40

What loading press are you loading on? And how long have you been loading .40 cal? On my 550 one time I was reloading and a piece of brass also got stuck! I tighten down on the shell plate a notch to notch cause it was loose.. Do you think your powder funnel/belling die is to low? ("IF your loading on a progressive press!")

Using a Lee single station with the GRX die and a 550 to load with the U die. Some cases go thru the GRX without a problem and others get stuck. I am going to go back to the U die and maybe look around for someone with a Case Pro I can borrow to process my brass. I'm an experienced reloader of 25+ years but have just started loading the .40. Have had minor problems with other cals. sticking on the powder funnel but never as bad as the .40 thru the U die. Polishing usually helps but not with the .40. I tried powdered graphite but that doesn't work well. No the funnel is not too low...it is set as recommended. I think the U die is sizing the case enough to cause it to stick on the funnel. I'm not sure if a smaller OD would keep cases from sticking and still open and bell the case mouth enough to allow proper bullet seating or not. Getting very frustrated and tired of spending $$$ and not getting desired results.

FWIW

Richard

Using a Lee single station with the GRX die and a 550 to load with the U die. Some cases go thru the GRX without a problem and others get stuck. I am going to go back to the U die and maybe look around for someone with a Case Pro I can borrow to process my brass. I'm an experienced reloader of 25+ years but have just started loading the .40. Have had minor problems with other cals. sticking on the powder funnel but never as bad as the .40 thru the U die. Polishing usually helps but not with the .40. I tried powdered graphite but that doesn't work well. No the funnel is not too low...it is set as recommended. I think the U die is sizing the case enough to cause it to stick on the funnel. I'm not sure if a smaller OD would keep cases from sticking and still open and bell the case mouth enough to allow proper bullet seating or not. Getting very frustrated and tired of spending $$$ and not getting desired results.

FWIW

Richard

Ok, you would know your press better. (I'm a newbie) I use dillon dies, came across this a few times but not like how you are talkin about. Can it be that your brass COL is stretched? I load .40 cal also. Another mans trash is another mans treasure! If you don't want your Gr-x ill take it off your hands!

I've been loading 40 for quite a while now, and have never had a round not chamber in my guns (2 Springfield P9 Factory Comp 40's, and 1 XDM). The P9's have fairly tight chambers. All I have ever used are Dillon dies, with range brass. I don't sort the brass, other than removing aluminum or steel case brass. I have loaded probably 20,000 40 S&W with the Dillon dies. While the Dillon dies don't size all the way down to the extractor groove, I'm not re-loading to make the perfect looking round, only a very good shooting round. If it fits in your gun, shoot it and stop worrying about bulges....Case gauges are great, but if they are tighter than your chamber, you are chasing a wild goose trying to get them (the rounds) to fit the gauge, when you should be seeing if they work in your gun. Use your barrel as a case gauge, or find a gunsmith to ream or make a case gauge to your chamber size.

Only if you have a problem with them working in your gun should you worry about doing something. Then go with either the Udie, GRX, or a case pro. In my case, the Udie, GRX, and Case Pro are elegant solutions to a non existent problem...

Edited by GrumpyOne

The other big perk to the new barrel is the fact that you can shoot lead - making the price per round drop drastically....

You can shoot lead in a stock Glock barrel, just keep an eye on it...There have been many people saying not to, but there are many people who do and have had no ill effect. Just use a hard cast lead bullet...

@Grump, CHUUUUCH! Your post are always informing! That's why I went with my dillon dies... But this doesn't help chirpy's problem, why is his brass getting stuck in the powder funnel? Has this ever happened to you? I'm tryin to do my good deed for the day and help chirpy so I can be an Ahole the rest of the day! Lol...

Look at the powder funnel. Does it have a ring around the bottom of it (the part that goes into the case first)? If so, then buff that on a buffing wheel, second, make sure that it's the right powder funnel. It very well might be the wrong funnel. It seems to me that all brass sticks somewhat in the powder funnel, and if it's not so hard to pull out, then just keep loading. I've loaded thousands of rounds of 40, using Dillon's powder funnel and never noticed any unusual sticking. Mind you, that's loaded thousand of rounds WITHOUT LUBRICATING THEM.

Look at the powder funnel. Does it have a ring around the bottom of it (the part that goes into the case first)? If so, then buff that on a buffing wheel, second, make sure that it's the right powder funnel. It very well might be the wrong funnel. It seems to me that all brass sticks somewhat in the powder funnel, and if it's not so hard to pull out, then just keep loading. I've loaded thousands of rounds of 40, using Dillon's powder funnel and never noticed any unusual sticking. Mind you, that's loaded thousand of rounds WITHOUT LUBRICATING THEM.

Say your loading 40 cal reloads, from my understanding you can use the same shell plate and pins, but can you use the same powder funnel from the .40 cal to a 9mm and 9mm on a 40 cal?

Say your loading 40 cal reloads, from my understanding you can use the same shell plate and pins, but can you use the same powder funnel from the .40 cal to a 9mm and 9mm on a 40 cal?

No. Shell plates 9mm to .40/10mm are different too. New cases will bind a bit on the powder funnel of my SBD. So will some range brass, regardless of brand with both of these calibers. Cleaning off the funnel, and coating it with blade wax seems to help for a while. Even wiping it with a clean rag seems to help.

JZ

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I loaded some factory ammo and then reloaded that brass and everything was OK. Started to load once fired brass from an indoor range and started having trouble. I believe I am doing everything correctly and have the dies set up properly and am using the correct funnel and etc. Might be that the U die is a little tight...don't know. I will muddle my way thru. I think I have enough loaded for the rest of the season or will fall back on my .45 Limited gun and will continue to experiment and crank out a few at a time this winter.

Richard