Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COKE BOTTLE EFFECT- who's guilty?

howdy all.

as i'm new to my XL 650,wich is perfectly settled now(with your precious help all of you guys) , another question(bug) arise.

how the hell i can get ridd of the coke bottle effect,and which element is guilty for this unwanted result.

it give an ugly look to freshly loaded rounds, but apart of that, i cant tell if it has a bad effect on ballistic, i realy dont know what to think about, maybe i shouldn't even bother....???

thanks to all sharing their knowledge.

2j1a449.jpg

5vngpt.jpg

Edited by sigsauerfan

I used to think it looked bad, too, until I realized I never have a jam with ones shaped like that. It is sizing down very low on the brass(which is a good thing!) & giving that effect. I'm guessing that is a 9mm? If you notice, the 9mm round is not a straight wall round but is instead tapered, smaller at the bullet end, larger at the base. As your resizer is going down, it is slightly undersizing the brass down low on the case, giving that effect. Side note, if you accidentally get a 380 in your brass, you will probably notice it when you are resizing because they are straight walled. The same bullet diameter but the base is smaller than a 9mm so the resizer hits the brass & your hand almost falls as you are trying to resize, it is that easy. Anyway, the resizer is just doing a good job & so is the guy behind the press. Don't worry about asking questions you may think are dumb, we all started where you are & we need to know all the ins & outs of this great hobby.

I finally started liking the look of the coke bottle rounds & now think straight rounds look kinda funny.

MLM

I used to think it looked bad, too, until I realized I never have a jam with ones shaped like that. It is sizing down very low on the brass(which is a good thing!) & giving that effect. I'm guessing that is a 9mm? If you notice, the 9mm round is not a straight wall round but is instead tapered, smaller at the bullet end, larger at the base. As your resizer is going down, it is slightly undersizing the brass down low on the case, giving that effect. Side note, if you accidentally get a 380 in your brass, you will probably notice it when you are resizing because they are straight walled. The same bullet diameter but the base is smaller than a 9mm so the resizer hits the brass & your hand almost falls as you are trying to resize, it is that easy. Anyway, the resizer is just doing a good job & so is the guy behind the press. Don't worry about asking questions you may think are dumb, we all started where you are & we need to know all the ins & outs of this great hobby.

I finally started liking the look of the coke bottle rounds & now think straight rounds look kinda funny.

MLM

thanks for this very informative answer MLM(this site and the peoples is a true goldmine of valid infos, i think i'm overdue for a donation lol).

now i know, i think after all , the shape taken by the round look nice lol...

Edited by sigsauerfan

Yep. The best 9mm rounds look like that!:cheers:

well, those are rounds i loaded specialy for my G17 this afternoon, again after browsing the forum ,i noticed that an OAL of 1.130 is what work the best for the G17, like a consensus in all the threads i looked in related to best OAL for a G17,so no wonder, that's the OAL i settled on for my G17, and i've not even tried it yet but no doubt it'll work great.

cocobolo showed me the trick to find the perfect OAL for any specefic gun with an uncrimped dummy inserted in the barrel...only to find that with the G17, even with the bullit inserted on the edge of the casemouth , at the longest possible, the bullit wasn't even touching the riffling(as example,this technique applied to my shadow using CMJ FP give 1.112), so i settled to the best OAL mentionned by the pros :cheers:

Edited by sigsauerfan

wich size die, do you use??

dillon 9mm ''trio'' carbide dies set .

my sizing die is adjusted as stipulated by dillon....to me the die run very low almost touching the shell plate, i tried a different setting one time, leaving the die little bit past halfway of the shellplate,but the results were like no sizing had been done...i suspected the sizing die responsible for the coke bottle hump as i've seen a comment about it on this forume during a browsing session.

as you can see, i'm all about learning how my new press work, but it come along with the help of the members of this forum....

lol,this forum , it's truely like a technical support department all oriented toward reloading and the shooting sport ,it has no equals, all this at the fine edge of the ballistic science.

Edited by sigsauerfan

The after close to 39K rounds of 9mm, I have learned to love that coke bottle look—and perfect-functioning ammo

:cheers:

Curtis

i must admit that i was worried about their shape exiting the 5th station, but seeing the pros with 0 concerns about it made the tension between me and my press lowering at a comfortable level... :cheers:

cocobolo showed me the trick to find the perfect OAL for any specefic gun with an uncrimped dummy inserted in the barrel...

Another trick I have found is keep an eye out for a piece of brass with a real thin case wall(for me it was LY brass). After sizing a bullet will slide in and out with just my fingers. This helps determining oal BUT it makes adjusting your seater die very easy since you can just pull the bullet out a little if it ends up too deep, readjust the die and try again. Makes adjustments a snap!:cheers:

cocobolo showed me the trick to find the perfect OAL for any specefic gun with an uncrimped dummy inserted in the barrel...

Another trick I have found is keep an eye out for a piece of brass with a real thin case wall(for me it was LY brass). After sizing a bullet will slide in and out with just my fingers. This helps determining oal BUT it makes adjusting your seater die very easy since you can just pull the bullet out a little if it ends up too deep, readjust the die and try again. Makes adjustments a snap!:cheers:

another usefull trick exiting your hat, entering my trick bag.... :cheers: cant ask for more!! :bow:

Edited by sigsauerfan

One other thing to keep an eye on is to be sure the rounds will feed in your mag. Some barrels will accept a longer OAL than the mags will. Make sure to allow a little extra space between the bullett & the mag. Be sure your loaded rounds will not drag in the mag.

MLM

One other thing to keep an eye on is to be sure the rounds will feed in your mag. Some barrels will accept a longer OAL than the mags will. Make sure to allow a little extra space between the bullett & the mag. Be sure your loaded rounds will not drag in the mag.

MLM

yes.ok. that's what i tried for my G17 after i've got the clue for ''the best oal for G17'' on here, and they were cycling good trough my mags.

but i must admit that on this repiece, i relied on the infos i found here right out-of-the-box. (G17=OAL of 1.130 work best for it)

after i noticed some kind of agreement from most of you guys about the best OAL working for this gun, i just hopped behind the press and loaded with a smile glued to my face as i knew the G17 can take lenghtened rounds compared to my shadow, but i wasn't sure about loading at 1.142 OAL as stipulated by the VV data book.

i ordered 3000 zero FMJ's RN in 9mm. i know they're supposed to be more consistent in height and weight....now if i can get a hand on some starline cases, i will have all the best components on hand to see if i can get a perfect and precise OAL all the time.

Edited by sigsauerfan

Absolutely normal. Keep loading them.

all right grumpy.

grumpy one. lol,your avatar combined with your typing make me scared. :D:cheers:

Thats nothing my daughter is crying cause she is scared! i told her; "Hes just one of the dwarfs! :roflol: "