Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moveable iron sights for Metallic Division?

Resjudicata

Does anyone know for sure if it is within the rules for Bianchi to use a movable front sight on a Metallic Division gun? The gun uses standard notch and post sights but the front sight can be moved side to side for use on the mover stage.

The rules don't address this for Metallic Division but the rules specifically say that you can't use them in Production. This leads me to believe that a moveable front sight is allowed for Metallic. However, some local guys that have shot Bianchi for a while said that a mover front sight is not allowed.

Anyone know for sure? Anyone currently use one?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Run it!! It's legal for Metallic Sight class so long as it's notch & post. One shooter a couple years back put a Bowmar-type rib sight on top of a Stick-Shift and ran that in Metallic. No problems.

Alan~^~

I have one, they are brilliant. So does Jerry M ( he had the first )and I think Bruce Piatt.

They are a fearsome price, but one look and you will understand why.

I just love it. It is difficult to adjust to, as you naturally want to lead, I shot quite a few 6 oclock and 3 oclock 5's for a while as I forgot to NOT lead. The sight picture is so much easier as you just stick teh front sight under the black dot and go for it. A new rear sight will be required as they are quite high. I have an Aristocrat.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure on the rules. As GMProd says, the price is high so I don't want it to be something just sitting in a drawer. The sight is really neat but you can tell why the price is high. The work it takes to make it would make you go blind.

Toolguy/Warren is who I'm getting it from. As far as I know he is the only one to make it. He has one with a .09" blade on it that is exactly what I want. I just need to sell a gun to pay for it. :P

Chris

• 1 month later...

I had one of Warren's for a while. I shot in the 2008 World Action Pistol Match in New Zealand. It's completely adustable for your lead points and like anything Warren builds, it's a thing of perfection. Like the other posts state, if you are currently holding for a lead, it takes some time to remember to hold center. Some range time is all you need, unfortunately that is not what I have, so I sold mine.

The cost is high but from what Warren explained to me is that there is a lot of time and effort into hand making each one. Between the tight tolerances and the heat treating process, one part can take several attempts at getting it right.

Mine was set up with a standard dovetail mounting for the front sight and an Aristocrat tri-set rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Warren installed my .09" mover front sight yesterday. It looks great. I'll try and post a photo tonight or tomorrow. He buried the sight into my muzzle attachment so the mover sight is at the same height that a normal sight. This way I can use it with my Bomar style rear.

Now I just need to put a plug into the old dovetail on the slide and respray the black moly coat on the slide and muzzle.

Chris

Chris , that is a very functional looking setup, you can appreciate the work Warren has put into it.

What rear sight notch width do you plan on running with it?

I believe the rear sight notch is .125" but I'll have to check.

I'm with GM, I like quite a bit of light on either side of the front sight. But, I did find that for me I can get too much light. I like what Brian Enos recommends. 1/2 that width of the front sight worth of light on either side of the front sight while in the rear notch.

Chris

Here are some pics of the mover sight installed on the muzzle of the gun. Like I said above, I haven't coated the muzzle yet.

Chris

Chris who makes that mag-well and is that ok for meatalic???

Warren Moore of Protocal Design also makes the magwell. You can get to him in the vendor area or just scan up this page to a post he made earlier as Toolguy and PM him. It's a nice magwell. It just pins on using the mainspring pin and has an adjustment screw to snug it up to the frame.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

No - You hold on the X ring at all distances. Imagine a V shape with the barrel being one leg of the V and the sights or scope (line of sight) being the other leg. You are the vertex or point of the V. You sight in for the right lead at 25 yards going both ways. This is the top open part of the V. Each time you get closer to the target, the v is shorter and the legs are closer together, also making the lead shorter. This works because the target is a constant known velocity moving at a known right angle to the shooter. The only variation to this is at the 10 yard line if you shoot at the target near the barrier instead of in the middle, you need to subtract a little lead.

Edited by Toolguy