Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What division does a Single Stack 40 fit in?

j33716

single stack what ? could be esp or ssp depending on model of gun.

No Joe, there is only one Single Stack, the rest are just poor imitations.

The Para LDA is so rare why even ask? That's the only 1911 pattern pistol that would be SSP.

1911 was mentioned where in the original post ?

Smith and Wesson single stacks are DA and DAO, Kahr singlestacks are DAO, the Para LDA is DA, I could go on,

The divisions are pretty well defined in the rule book.

I don't refer to single-column magazine guns as "single stacks". Single Stack, especially as the term is used in USPSA is a euphemism for 1911. To refer to non-1911 single-column magazine guns as "single stacks" unnecessarily muddies the waters. I guess we're just tired of all the posts where people try to argue that their XYZ single-column magazine gun should be allowed in Single Stack Division. Not a 1911? Not allowed.

BUT, since this is the IDPA shooting forum. I'll offer my most gracious 'my bad'. ;)

Edited by Steve J

if it is a single action on first round w/ no decocking mechanism and its 40s&w then yes it is ESP

There are guns that have a decocker, so the first shot is DA with subsequent shots SA that ALSO have a sear block safety that allows the gun to be carried cocked and locked as SA only. Decock and you're in SSP. Engage the sear block (thumb) safety and you're in ESP. I don't think that's the type of gun the OP is asking about though.

Edited by Steve J

There are guns that have a decocker, so the first shot is DA with subsequent shots SA that ALSO have a sear block safety that allows the gun to be carried cocked and locked as SA only. Decock and you're in SSP. Engage the sear block (thumb) safety and you're in ESP.

Yes, no cocked and locked in SSP. However, both cocked and locked SA first shot and hammer down DA first shot are allowed in ESP. So it's not an ironclad "decock and you're in SSP" rule.You could well be in ESP if you wanted.

There are guns that have a decocker, so the first shot is DA with subsequent shots SA that ALSO have a sear block safety that allows the gun to be carried cocked and locked as SA only. Decock and you're in SSP. Engage the sear block (thumb) safety and you're in ESP.

Yes, no cocked and locked in SSP. However, both cocked and locked SA first shot and hammer down DA first shot are allowed in ESP. So it's not an ironclad "decock and you're in SSP" rule.You could well be in ESP if you wanted.

True, true.

single stack what ? could be esp or ssp depending on model of gun.

No Joe, there is only one Single Stack, the rest are just poor imitations.

A Para single stack with an LDA trigger might be SSP if it makes weight.

Edited by Gryff

Too funny. I guess I have shot USPSA long enough I assumed everyone called a 1911 a single stack. I was using the term as it's used in USPSA.

Sorry for the confusion.

Easy enough mistake to make. I love that USPSA has introduced Single-Stack, and I get that it was created out of the respect that the 1911 historically deserves. But I disagree that guns like these are prohibited:

P220-S-Match-detail-L.jpg

945PC.jpg

Both are single-stack .45acp guns, but mechanically different than the 1911.