Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS 40 - load long or short

j33716

It really depends on the gun and your magazines. If you find someone with an unmodified Sentry (assuming yours is) using the same brand of magazines and loading the same bullet profile, then you'll get an answer you can really use.

I use the same length as my limited but as posted before it will depend on what magazines you use. I use tripp .40 magazines and wilson 47D .45 magazines loaded out to 1.175.

Edited by ormondopen

For my Trojan, I ran them out to 1.260" for testing purposes and they worked fine with Wilson 47NX, McCormick 10mm mags, Tripp System mags and Wilson 47Ds. That said, I normally use the same 1.20" ammo I load for my Limited gun. R,

Limited, Limited 10 and SS all are .40 S&W loaded to 1.18. I use the same rounds for all the guns. No changes. They all chrono about the same also. I generally have a 170 PF. Next year I will be using 200 gr Zeros and instead of 180 JHP. I like the heavier bullet. But I have to shoot up 6000 rounds first.

Limited, Limited 10 and SS all are .40 S&W loaded to 1.18. I use the same rounds for all the guns. No changes. They all chrono about the same also. I generally have a 170 PF. Next year I will be using 200 gr Zeros and instead of 180 JHP. I like the heavier bullet. But I have to shoot up 6000 rounds first.

Tripp mag's and Wilson 47D in my Trojan. 1.185 length. I have ammo boxes with labels indicating everything on them. I keep good tabs on things and don't worry about grabbing the wrong stuff.

Edited by caz41

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but is there a reason not to shoot .40S&W rounds in a 10mm barrel (in a 1911) if the .40 round is loaded long say 1.2"? G-manBart mentioned he had shot .40 rounds loaded as long as 1.260" without problems which is max OAL in 10mm in at least one manual.

My guess would be case length since they dont space off the rim like a revolver will. Had see a guy shoot 45ACP that he screwed up and trimmed WAY too short like sub 45gap short. Broke a couple extractors on that gun I believe.

Ock, most if not all auto rounds headspace on the case mouth, the .40 beingthat much shorter than the 10mm you have a number of problems cropping up because of it, added wear and tear on your extractor because you have just added another thing it has to do, the possibility of accuracy degradation because ofthe longer jump to the actual rifling ie sort of like shooting .38 specials in a .357 its ok to a point, then after a while you havethings like chamber erosion in the 10mm barrel from shooting a lot of .40's in it, and if you shoot lead .40's you will more than likely have to do a real good cleaning of the chamber before running any 10mm thru it because of lead buildup at the chamber mouth.

everyone wants to do the 'twofer' thing, shooting multiple calibers out ofthe same gun, i know 10mm brassis either expensive or endangered of not being found...i realize this but i also know that in an auto loader hey, expect a 10 percent loss when shooting it, its the nature of the beast....