Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a Schuemann Barrel

ajg308

I have fitted a Schuemann bull barrel in my backup gun. I have a new one for te main gun as well, but am not going after that one until I know I have not messed up the back up. I have spent some serious time to get this right, everything looks and feels good and passes the timing tests. The problem is that when I try to load it, with factory ammo, it does not want to go into battery. Same thing with reloads. What am I missing? Do I need to try a different length link or maybe take more off of the bottom lags? Thanks.

If you buy the AET barrel, it will be fully chambered. Fully worth the extra money in my opinion.

Paul

You may still have to ream the chamber for proper headspace.

If you buy the AET barrel, it will be fully chambered. Fully worth the extra money in my opinion.

Paul

this. i had same experience with AET in 9mm. OP - suggest you check headspace with go/no gauge.

If you buy the AET barrel, it will be fully chambered.  Fully worth the extra money in my opinion.

Paul

Nope, still short, just not AS short. 

I believed the description. Gunsmith said otherwise. I said let me check with schuemann first. Got on the phone with them, and they need to be finish reemed a teeny bit, or stuff doesn't fit right.

Paul

this. i had same experience with AET in 9mm. OP - suggest you check headspace with go/no gauge.

Will do.

I would expect you need to do a finish ream. I've fitted a couple Shuemann AET barrels in my 9mm Caspian. They have worked when dropping ammo in but, if the ammo is loaded long it would hang up with the slide just a 1/16" to 1/8" out of battery. I run short loads 1.09" 9mm in that gun anyway so I don't really need to do the finish ream but that is likely what you'll need to do if you are running long ammo.

If not, then you might check the top of the ramp. The Schuemann barrels have a really sharp edge where the top of the ramp transitions to the chamber. You may need to just break over that sharp edge. Just a tiny bit.

Chris

I would expect you need to do a finish ream. I've fitted a couple Shuemann AET barrels in my 9mm Caspian. They have worked when dropping ammo in but, if the ammo is loaded long it would hang up with the slide just a 1/16" to 1/8" out of battery. I run short loads 1.09" 9mm in that gun anyway so I don't really need to do the finish ream but that is likely what you'll need to do if you are running long ammo.

If not, then you might check the top of the ramp. The Schuemann barrels have a really sharp edge where the top of the ramp transitions to the chamber. You may need to just break over that sharp edge. Just a tiny bit.

Chris

As pretty as Schuemann's are, they still need some work. Yes, the top of the feed ramp, entrance to the chamber will need to be smoothed over. Not the ramp, as that has a pretty trick convexed shape to it, just the top to help the round cam over a little easier.

The chambers are "finished" but when you trim the hood, you need to ream the chamber accordingly. They also break over headspace rim (end of chamber beginning of throat) which is really cool but when re-reaming it that pretty much goes away.