Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of trigger job should I do to my xd9?

cali shot doc

Gunsmith trigger job, sights, extended mag release, tungsten insert/guide rod, grip wrap/traction treatment, barrel refit/aftermarket match barrel. All of these mods are Production legal. Are they needed, that is up to you to decide.

Rich

Trigger jobs by gunsmiths run in the $150 range. Seems the folks on this forum prefer Springer and Canyon Creek and I am sure you would love either one. On XDTalk the preferred trigger is the Powder River Precision Match Kit. Runs about $90 and can be installed by yourself with some minor fitting (if you are careful). That's almost equal to the cost of shipping to and from one of the forementioned smiths. After shooting three USPSA and a couple of IDPA's think it is time to consider one of these options myself.

Good afternoon, cali shot doc,

Here's a couple links that may be helpful:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110534

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108075

I was facing the same dilemma a while back and bought the Powder River Precision kit and installed it. However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Springer or the Canyon Creek from all the positive reviews they receive. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, that's OK, too, since all three will install it if you send them your firearm.

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Trigger jobs by gunsmiths run in the $150 range. Seems the folks on this forum prefer Springer and Canyon Creek and I am sure you would love either one. On XDTalk the preferred trigger is the Powder River Precision Match Kit. Runs about $90 and can be installed by yourself with some minor fitting (if you are careful). That's almost equal to the cost of shipping to and from one of the forementioned smiths. After shooting three USPSA and a couple of IDPA's think it is time to consider one of these options myself.

Hey, if you can get a $150 trigger job on an XD, go for it. I charge $300 and up for my trigger jobs (and i have done plenty of them). i can make an XD *nearly* shoot like a 1911, but it takes about 2.5 hours of labor and over $180 in parts.

You can't go wrong with Springer Precision. I had the competition trigger job done to my pistol along with a lot of other work and it is completely top notch. Not to mention he's very fast on his turn around and answers his own phone. Cost for the trigger job was 170 plus about 80 for the shipping.

+1 on springer.

If you can, I would say to send it in and have it done by Springer if you can. He will do it right the first time.

Side note:

I bought the complete kit and when I had a question I called and he was more than happy to help. If you do it yourself, make sure you know how to detail strip your gun, have a vice, and a good set of files...and about 2 hours of time.

To do it correctly yourself you will need to fit the trigger bar to YOUR gun by filing off the nubs on the bar to fit the way YOU want it to work. Now that I have done one I am positive I can cut some major time off of that but in the end, patience and getting it to fit and function correctly *the first time* is the way to go.

Scott Springer did my trigger job. It is excellent. Probably as close as anything can get to my Limited SV trigger job.

Watch out for the tungsten guide rod. You might go overweight for Production. You do want a guide rod where you can use 1911 springs.

Another reason to go with Scott, I was having some problems with hard primers right before Nationals and I mean a couple of days. Called Scott and sent me parts to deal the issue. I called him the parts were out the same day even though I called him late in the day.

That is excellent service!

• 1 month later...