Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What revolver

johnbh

when I finally start shooting SSR I am going to use a new Model 67

Joe -

The 67-6 variants utilize a 2-piece barrel and seem to have a special rep for their inherent accuracy, but it's my understanding that the new (i.e. current) versions went back to a 1-piece design. Just a heads-up. The -6s still seem to be available, though.

That said, if you're interested in dipping your toes into SSR without breaking the bank before you're sure you'll like it, trade-in 67s (and 15s and 64s) can be had from J&G at very reasonable prices. I really don't need one, but I've been very tempted for some time to buy one of these trade-in 15s and a 67-6.

Tom

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-67-38spl-4in-stainless%2C-dao-very-good-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/4119

My competitive start was in Cowboy Action Shooting, so I was reloading .45 Colt. When I decided to participate in other shooting sports, I decided to stay with that caliber. The Ruger Alaskan fit the bill (the Redhawk in .45 Colt had not been released). Even after trying a S&W 625 I decided to stay with the Alaskan.

I use a Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt with a 2 1/5" barrel in ESR using speedloaders (it weighs too much for SSR, or I would use it there ).

I have never seen (or heard) of anyone else using and Alaskan in IDPA, USPSA, or Steel Challenge. I enjoy shooting it more than the 625 that I also own, and do pretty well with it.

If you are asking about the revolvers commonly used for the purpose of helping you choose one, then the other revolvers mentioned would be better choices for most people.

Edited by Blueridge

when I finally start shooting SSR I am going to use a new Model 67

Joe -

The 67-6 variants utilize a 2-piece barrel and seem to have a special rep for their inherent accuracy, but it's my understanding that the new (i.e. current) versions went back to a 1-piece design. Just a heads-up. The -6s still seem to be available, though.

That said, if you're interested in dipping your toes into SSR without breaking the bank before you're sure you'll like it, trade-in 67s (and 15s and 64s) can be had from J&G at very reasonable prices. I really don't need one, but I've been very tempted for some time to buy one of these trade-in 15s and a 67-6.

Tom

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-67-38spl-4in-stainless%2C-dao-very-good-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/4119

Thanks Tom. After a bit of investigation I did end up with a 67-6. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it once I have the time to set up my 550 tool head and make some ammunition.

I have a Ruger GP 100,I wasnt sure how they would do. I really like the revolver,are you using 38 spls or 357. Would 357 put you in major. I was thinking of getting the Smith Wesson 625. I would prefer to shoot what I have. Shooting 38 put me in a good class,I'm in this for the fun of it.

Thanks for the responses.

I really like the revolver,are you using 38 spls or 357. Would 357 put you in major. I was thinking of getting the Smith Wesson 625. I would prefer to shoot what I have.

I think you'd be good to go with your GP100 and .38spl ammo. You'd only need to shoot 165pf (i.e. "major") if you'd use moonclips and shoot in ESR. Otherwise, your GP100 and speedloaders you put you in SSR, in which case you'd only need to make 125pf. No need for .357mag. Most shoot .38spl.

Tom

Hi Johnbh,

.38spl shooting SSR and if you ever want to shoot ESR you can run the same gun, same speedloaders and just bump the power factor up and use .357mag or 200g .38spl loaded to major (yes, a safe load is out there).

A local shooter and real nice guy Chris Roper shot 10K rounds of .357 through his GP-100, this was before the SSR/ESR split.

I use a 686 SSR for SSR but on occasion use a S&W Thunder Ranch Model 21, its a blast to shoot and talk about soft shooting. For ESR I use a 625 JM. Both the 686 and 625 JM have been worked over by Apex Tactical.

I shot an IDPA match last Sunday......used a 686 SSR and a 325 PD for ESR. Surprisingly, the results were very similar although I feel a lot more confident with moonclips.

Both guns have been cleaned up and smoothed by Carmoney(but both are still stock)with one exception. I put a 625 stainless cylinder in the 325 and put the titanium cylinder in my primary IPSC revo.....works great.

I need lots of practice with speedloaders. Comp IIs have an alarming tendency to unload when I grab them from the carrier on my belt.

Bob.

A16841