Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anybody have problem with DP front sight breaking?

Ramas

Hello,

my friend has a question. He is using STI 2011 with round top. He broke 5 Dawson Precision .180 tall X.125 wide front sights this season. The front sight breaks in half. Anyone of you have this kind of problem?

Thank you.

I've got DP FO .100x.300 sights on both of my Glocks, 17 & 22. Never any problem. I finally changed the fiber just so it's clean and perty :) . If the sight is tight or even if it isn't I would expect it to break at the screw. If it's getting wacked on top I would expect multiple fiber breaks before the sight cracks. With several failures you should be able to inspect them and post more information on the forum. Inspect the sight on every session.

I have broke 2 or 3 of them on my M&P. Another guy that I shoot with broke 5 of them on his M&P. Just like you said, the sight breaks in half. I was unfortunate enough to broke mine while I was shooting a stage at Area 6. :angry2:

I called Dawson both times and they have replaced them, no questions asked. :cheers:

It is allways front part of the sight breaks up as shown in the bottom in the picture. He modified his slide and sight a little bit. He made hole and screwed sight to frame. Maybe there is the problem?

Here is the picture:

sti%20dp.jpg

I'm betting its sitting too low in the dovetail and the blade is putting pressure on the slide. Combine that with an overly tight fit and it cracks. Is there a witness mark on the slide?

Hello,

my friend has a question. He is using STI 2011 with round top. He broke 5 Dawson Precision .180 tall X.125 wide front sights this season. The front sight breaks in half. Anyone of you have this kind of problem?

Thank you.

This is very unusual. The first question that we need to ask is, what type of holster is the shooter using?

The only times that we have encountered this in the past, the shooter was dragging the front sight along a holster cup during the draw.

Also, the modification of the slide to require a set screw is unusual. Can you tell us why that was needed?

-Chet

I'm betting its sitting too low in the dovetail and the blade is putting pressure on the slide. Combine that with an overly tight fit and it cracks. Is there a witness mark on the slide?

That is what I was thinking...

The only times that we have encountered this in the past, the shooter was dragging the front sight along a holster cup during the draw.

uhh he'd have to be doing a boat-load a draws to break a front sight like that. My money is on the hole drilling and/or letting the gun slap onto the top of ports

Hello,

Thank you.

This is very unusual. The first question that we need to ask is, what type of holster is the shooter using?

Also, the modification of the slide to require a set screw is unusual. Can you tell us why that was needed?

-Chet

Thank you all for interest.

Shooter is using Guga Ribas holster. It is open holster.

This kind of modification with set screw is on SPS pistols, also this kind of sight mounting is using european gunsmith Karl Promesberger who built this STI pistol. Without set screw the sight becomes loose after few months of shooting.

Actually the sight is not touching the slide. It is about 0,5mm above the slide.