Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Dovetails

MikeyG23

Has anyone had any problem with oversize, rear sight dovetails ? I have a new G34 that I set-up with a Heinie rear and a Dawson FO front and during dry fire last night I noticed that the rear sight was loose in the dovetail to the point that it could be moved by hand. I've shot a couple of matches so far with this gun and done fairly well but didn't notice the rear sight issue until last night. I've put new sights on probably a few hundred Glocks over the years and I've never seen this happen before. Ideas ??

I had a problem with Heinie's working loose in the dovetail as well. Before going to an adjustable sight, I solved the problem by drilling and tapping for two set screws. That solved the problem.

I had the same problem with my Dawson adjustables. I didn't happen to realize until the second shot on the classifier that day. (new guy mistake at a new club. Always ask which stage the classifier is on before squading up.) Red loctite was the answer for me. Loctite the front sight also (learned that the next weekend when I heard the buzzer, drew, sight picture ... whoa where is me front sight? try a plate rack like that some time)

If you can't drill and tap the sight another method is to take a prick punch and punch the bottom of the sight. The D&T is the best method. The Heinie sights are a little soft. I put a Novak on mine.

I took the sight off the gun last night and compared it to a NIW Straight 8 rear that I had and it was measured smaller in the height and width of the dovetail. I ordered a new rear from Heinie yesterday and will measure it when it comes in and compare. The set screw idea had run through my mind as well and if I have further issues that is most likely what I'll do. I hadn't thought of the peening method but that sounds like a good idea also. Thanks for all the ideas !!

Flexmoney:

That is my "usual" experience with Heinie's also but this one is a different animal. As I think back this particular sight may be one I bought from a friend of mine and I "assumed" that it was new. The bottom showed signs of having been sanded or something when I removed it last night and it sure didn't happen when it was installed on my G34!!

My new rear sight arrived from Heinie yesterday and I just installed it. It was of the "sledgehammer" installation variety. The one I removed has definitely had material removed from it as it is appx .010" shorter in dovetail height and .010" - .015" narrower than the new one. It goes without saying that it's already in the trash.....

Thanks to all who replied with ideas for fixes, I filed them all in the memory bank for future reference !!