Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to start Reloading! I've been convinced!

I am really thinking about reloading now...You have all convinced me :cheers: !!!!!!!

What would be a good setup for a beginner shooting 9mm only.....so far? I've seen Lee reloaders for around $150 (everything included pretty much) but should I just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get a Dillon SDB or 550b?

I saw on amazon that there is a case tumbler kit: Frankford Armory tumbler with separator, 3lbs corn cob finish and 4oz brass polisher. Is this a good deal/product?

I've been saving my brass so I don't need to buy brass but I've seen CCI and Federal Primers for about $30/1000.

Where can I get cheap bullets?

Whats a good powder.

I'm going to be shooting production and limited 10 since i live in Cali and 10rd mags are the law.

Anything else lol? B)

Just for fun when did you start reloading?

Do you plan on reloading rifle in the future or just pistol? If just pistol, then the SDB is probably your best bet. It's an auto index press, will come with dies already set up in it for your caliber (if you buy it new), extremely simple to use, and can load around 300-400 an hour with it. A 550 is a bit more complex, not an auto index press, but you can load rifle on it as well. With it, you can get many more options, and can load upwards of 500-600 with the options on it. The 550 also uses standard dies, where the SDB does not. On Brian's store sight, he has all the info on all Dillon presses.

Bullets, primers and powder are gonna be a personal preference. Everyone has a different choice.

Powder Valley is a good place for powder and primers, buy in bulk (at least 5,000 primers, 8lbs of powder).

For jacketed bullets, try Montana Gold. Fair priced and a good product.

I started reloading about 5 years ago.

Edited by GrumpyOne

You've already gotten some good advice. I suggest if at all possible you buy dillon & get it from Brian on here unless you find a good used deal somewhere. The dillon holds it's value unbelievably well. Trust me, I tried going the cheap route first. Wasted money.

I started shotgun loading back when I was 14? maybe. Before I had a driver's license. Guess that was about 36 years ago. Loaded two boxes a night, shot them up the next day. Had my own skeet thrower & lived out in the country. Good times!!!! Loaded a few pistol & rifle rounds with my brother about the same time. Got away from shooting until about 9yrs ago. Then got back in with both feet. I've loaded well over 180k rounds since then. The first few thou on a red press, (won't go into that too much). I also pulled apart a whole bunch of rounds with primers in backwards, say about 10 of every 300 give or take for that same few thou rounds loaded on the red press. Then I went to the dillon 550. :-) Eventually wanted to up production & went to a 650, now I have 2 of them. Sold the WELL used 550 that I bought used for almost the exact same dollar I paid for it. This after loading approx 65k rounds on it.

Buy quality if you possibly can. Avoid the frustration & aggravation of what I consider a lesser product. If you just can't afford to, that is understandable but the money spent on the lesser press is pretty much thrown away & not recoverable whereas the dillon will hold 80-85% or more of it's value forever if taken care of.

MLM

If you're going to load 9mm or only straight wall pistol carts. the SDB is the way to go. It is simple to use and comes set up, ready to go for the caliber you choose. I have 2 and couldn't be happier with them. One is 9mm specific and the other is set up for .45 ACP. You can easily change calibers on a SDB but changing the primers from large to small and back was a pain so my wife bought me the second one so I wouldn't have to. Go with it, you'll be glad you did.

I agree with the others on this thread.

Dillon you will always be happy with (they have been doing progressive presses about as long as anyone) and the service can't be beat.

Brian Enos is one of the best people to buy from and gives excellent advice on which press to pick. He's totally spot-on with his recommendations.

Personally, I love my 550B and the fact that not only is it quite caliber versatile (if you shoot more than one) it allows you to pick your own dies. I prefer Redding sizing and seating dies so the 550B fits me perfectly.

The operation is simple enough that any hiccups are very easily cleared. Auto indexing is probably nice but what will startle you is that after loading a few hundred REALLY SLOW, repetitive motion starts to take over and you find yourself in auto-pilot with your hands indexing before seating the bullet with your left hand. Your call but try another reloader's SDB and 550B and decide which is better for you.

I will tell you I've had friends with Lee and Hornady and within a year, three of them were on Dillon's after buying the others new. Many reasons but none have turned back. Good shopping (that's 1/2 the fun).

On a tumbler, the Dillon's are great but if you are short on funds, I have one of these for 2 years and have run thousands of empties through it: Cabela's Case Tumbler Item:IA-212867. Not sure but this looks like a Berry tumbler.

Recommend it MUCH MUCH more than the Frankford Arsenal. Have a friend with a FA who always borrows mine (and his works....).

Edited by 470nitro

you cant go wrong with Dillon blue,their warranty is second to none, their help line is great too(no reloading question too dumb for them)

yrs ago Dillon stated if you loaded 1000 rds of .45 twice you basically paid for your machine, with todays increase in prices it may be a lil more than that, but certainly better than payin retail prices...

as for me??? been loading since 1983??? and my 550b has at least 250k rounds loaded on it with minimal problems

like the others have said, powder valley is good for gettin powder(better if you can join up with somefolks at richmond and split the cost of shipping and hazmat)

for bullets, if he is still in business, steve of Bear Creek makes a hell of a moly coated lead bullet and he is 'local' to you, (mariposa) for jacketed??? cant beat shipped to your door montana golds

Its all about budget. If you can get to a Dillon 650 you will have an extremely versatile machine that has a liftime warranty from the best company in reloaders. I know its a bit more but well worth it in the long run. You can add features later. Its also probably the easiest to change calibers later.

Its all about budget. If you can get to a Dillon 650 you will have an extremely versatile machine that has a liftime warranty from the best company in reloaders. I know its a bit more but well worth it in the long run. You can add features later. Its also probably the easiest to change calibers later.

Not true about changing calibers. There are hundreds of threads on the forum about the benefits of one press over the other, but a universal truth agreed on by just about everyone is that the 550 is much easier to change calibers on. The fact that if you get a 650, you should also get a bullet and case feeder is the reason why. If you buy a 650 without the case and bullet feeder, then you have an expensive, auto indexing 550. With the 550, it's pull two pins, release the powder hopper activator rod, slide out the tool head, slide in the new tool head, change the shell plate. All can be done in less than 5 minutes (if you aren't changing primer sizes). Try that on a 650 with a case and bullet feeder. Most agree it takes 20+ minutes to change calibers on a 650 with the case and bullet feeders.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I think Dillon makes good progressive presses, I youtube some video's on the 650 and as I seen them changing calibers they seem to do mor disassembling then you would do on a 550.. And if I would to get a 650 it would be with the case feed and that alone takes more time converting over... i like my 550 it just seems more simple to use but if I need over 1000 rnds a week or less I would have gotten a 650! Untill then I'm more then comfortable....

Dillon 550b. I looked all around and couldn't be happier with my decision. very easy to learn very easy to use

powder valley for powder and primers also they sell the Zero bullets but Montana Gold and Precision Delta seem to rule these forums. good luck