Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which comp works best for Open Glock

Duke Nukem

We have a SJC on my son's 17 and a Carver on my 17. There is very little to no difference between them. I built a 17 this spring to try out and found I really liked the 9mm, so I took the plunge and bought a Dawson enhanced Steel Master! This is ALOT better than either comp!!

Doug

We have a SJC on my son's 17 and a Carver on my 17. There is very little to no difference between them. I built a 17 this spring to try out and found I really liked the 9mm, so I took the plunge and bought a Dawson enhanced Steel Master! This is ALOT better than either comp!!

Doug

Why do you say that?

Doug

Why do you say that?

Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a very good gun but it isn't an STI! And the comp's for the STI's are heavier than most offered Glock comps. Both my STI's seem to shoot flatter than the Glock, most likely to the weight difference, but still flatter. I don't know if it worth the price difference to everyone but it is to me.

Doug

Edited by Doug S

Hello: Of the 4 comps I tried the Jager comp worked the best for the 115 JHP's I am using. It shot flatter but not softer than some. I have learned you want as flat as you can get :cheers: I sold that setup and I am using an STI based open pistol. Thanks, Eric

Doug

Why do you say that?

Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a very good gun but it isn't an STI! And the comp's for the STI's are heavier than most offered Glock comps. Both my STI's seem to shoot flatter than the Glock, most likely to the weight difference, but still flatter. I don't know if it worth the price difference to everyone but it is to me.

Doug

I miss-understood what you were saying, I don't think anyone disputes the sti platform vs glock for a open gun, but all of us glock guys either do it because we can or as a cheaper route or because we like them. I watched some of the top shooters at area 5 shooting open and there is no way they could perform like they did with an open glock.

Guys Im new to the forums, and I need help as my buddies are telling me to buy a used open gun STI type from Brazo or Limcat but I have a Glock 17 that I want ot send to SJC to make a an open guns.... an good advice ???? would really help.

Thanks,

Jose

Guys Im new to the forums, and I need help as my buddies are telling me to buy a used open gun STI type from Brazo or Limcat but I have a Glock 17 that I want ot send to SJC to make a an open guns.... an good advice ???? would really help.

Thanks,

Jose

Get the STI. And get the sideways mount. Jim Anglin, Gans, Benny Hill, Matt Cheely and a few others make awesome guns as well. Come Nov-Feb the annual sell off will start and prices and selection will be good.

Edited by CocoBolo

I watched some of the top shooters at area 5 shooting open and there is no way they could perform like they did with an open glock.

The STI trigger is easier and quicker to shoot with, IMO, but the above was discussed quite a bit about limited guns way back when. Then this guy named Sevigny came along...

• 1 month later...

Exactly what I was thinking. I watched Sevigny go postal on a few stages at the Pro-AM. That man does things with that gun that 98% of the shooters in the world can't do with any gun. Even a full auto. He is Bad-A$$.

That being said, I think if you want a glock to run flat and reliable, you are going to spend nearly the same amount of money as a good used 2011 open gun. I tried open glock for a while. Did the work myself. Carver comp STS slide ride dot, played with springs and load, never got it FLAT. I gave up on the slide ride dots after it $hit the bed on me in the middle of Area 4. I think a lot of people get them and like them, I just lost all faith in it and won't run them again.

I also think that a 2011 based open gun is easier to shoot. The single action trigger is easier for me and I have a glockworx fulcrum in my Glock. The overall idea with an open glock is that you can do the work yourself. That is good if you are wanting to save money, bad if you want it to run like a smith tuned 2011. SJC seems to be the leader of the pack as far as open glocks go. I haven't heard many complaints about them.