Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Grains Of N320 Do You Use?

PistolPete

I'm just curious as to what everyone is using for N320 in .40. How many grains are you using and what is your OAL? Also, what type of gun/barrel are you using? I have an SV Limited gun in .40 with a Schueman AET barrel and long dust cover. I'm currently using Titegroup and decided to switch over to the N320. I'm loading to 1.20 OAL. I have the loading info from Jeff Maass and noticed it says about 5.3 grains with a 180 Montana Gold bullet. I'm going to start at 4.9 grains and test it out tomorrow.

What are you using and what is your P/F if you know?

Thanks,

Pete

I shoot a STI Edge with a factory barrell. My bullet is a 180 jhp from Zero. 4.9 gr of VV N320 puts me comfortably in the 165 - 170 pf neighborhood. I find that if I set the press at 4.8 gr, I'm right on the edge of 165 pf. My OAL is 1.185".

At 1.20 I havent been able to make major with a 180gr montana gold JHP with less than 5.1 grains. The standard deviation is the main reason. The load groups great but the speeds are all over the place. I just stick with 5.1. I know other that make it with 4.9 but I cant. This is out of a 5 inch Schumann barrel

Pete-I started out with 5.0g of N320 and CCI 400 srp. That wasn't even close. When working up loads, I have notice that the Schuemann barrels are slower than most of the others. Maybe they are tighter, maybe because I use MG bullets, I don't know. But I need an extra .1-.2g to make major. I am moving up to 5.2g of N320 and testing that to see if I can dependably make major. Your barrel should be similar, although mine is not an AET. I havn't used Tightgroup, but I have heard that N320 is cleaner. FWIW, I only clean mine every 1,000 rounds, and it's no big deal. The VV powders are very clean and meter very well.

Good luck.

Kirk

Measuring charges is for wussies. And since I'm illiterate, I gave up all pretense of reading reloading manuals *years* ago. The Pakistani charge technique is the way to go, especially with high-tech euro-trash gunpowder.

My over all length is 1.2. What the mass site does not say (or maybe it does) is that 5.3 of n320 is with a jacketed base bullet like a hollow point. A lead base Full (but not complete) metal jacket bullet takes a lot of powder to get to major. I don't know why. Try it out in a chrono coffin and see. I learned this at an area 1 match when I came in at 165.9 pf with 5.3 of n320 over a lead base fmj. Without the one round at 953 fps, I would have scored minor. With the lead base bullet you do not see consistant increase in velocity at the higher charges. Nate

With my 40S&W long throat Nowlin 5" barrel and a 180 Zero JHP.

5.10gr. VV320 @ 1.23" at 90 Deg.F = Vel. 952FPS, PF 171.3, SD8.

Did a little "Cold Weather" chrono work for the Florida Open and the results are.

5.17gr. VV320 @ 1.20" at 55 Deg.F = Vel. 985FPS, PF 177.3, SD7.

5.00gr. VV320 @ 1.20" at 55 Deg.F = Vel. 960FPS, PF 172.8, SD6.

Warm weather today.

4.85gr. VV320 @ 1.20" at 75 Deg.F = Vel. 953FPS, PF 171.5, SD8.

5" Limcat Tungsten sleeved Bbl:

5.1 gr VV320/MG 180 JHP/RP case/WSR primer/1.200 OAL gets me to 954 fps (15 rd average), which is a PF of 171-173 (the MG JHP's seem to consistently run 1 to 2 grains over 180). Standard deviations and average dispersions are in the single digits, and yes, for the statisticians out there, I know the sample is small.

I run the load a touch over my 5 FP "cushion" because my backup match gun has a Schuemann Ultimatch bbl that runs consistently slower, and I want to make PF w/ both.

JHP's tend to be longer than FMJ's. If you load to the same OAL, then the space in the case available for the powder is significantly reduced. The same charge will get you much more pressure and therefore more velocity. Even if you adjust the OAL to compensate for the extra length (.020 longer, say, for the .020 longer bullet) you still have less space for powder because the solid base of the JHP takes up more space than the open, lead exposed base of the FMJ, and the JHP will shoot (a little) faster.

I did a calculation of the volume made up by the empty space over the exposed lead base of a Zero FMJ compared to a flat based jacketed slug. The difference for the Zero was equivalent to a .005" change in OAL.

SVI .40S&W short dustcover, Schueman Barrel: 5", Cilinder&Slide trigger/mainspring

12 lbs recoil spring+shockbuff.

5.2 grains Vitha N320,

COL: 30mm (=1.18")

Primer: Winchester Small Pistol

Bullet: Berry's copperplated 180 grains FP

Cartrigde: Winchester .40S&W

PF: 178

Works well in European conditions.

DVC, Henny Schmitz, NPSA, The Netherlands (EU)