Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 swage station back-up die / two toolhead setup

All,

When running separate toolheads for case prep and loading, do you have back-up dies on both toolheads?

It seems unnecessary since the brass is swaged by the prep toolhead, I'm just not sure if I risk damage to the plate or cases during loading.

Thanks!

If you are using the primer pocket swager, then you really want the swage backup die installed. This die prevents the case from being pushed up through the top of the shellplate. Not using the swage die (or not adjusting it correctly) will eventually cause the top of the shellplate to break. This is not covered under warranty.

I back it off almost completely now!.

I purchased the Super Swage via Brian. I paid on Monday and it arrived Wednesday.

For the ton of .223 brass I have, this thing rocks and do not worry about swaging.

I back it off almost completely now!.

I purchased the Super Swage via Brian. I paid on Monday and it arrived Wednesday.

For the ton of .223 brass I have, this thing rocks and do not worry about swaging.

That's interesting. I'd been using the SS prior to getting the 1050. It works great but still required a seperate step. The swage station is a key reason I went with the 1050 and so far it's working nicely.

Do you mind if I ask why you use the SS as opposed to the 1050 swager?

thanks!

The Back up rod for 223 in my press seam to catch the lip of the brass just before the line up rod aligns the top . I end up with dinged brass lips if I don't push the head just a pit left.

Are my line up rods too short

No doubt someone with knowledge will chime in. I'm pretty green on the 1050.

I can say that on mine the front (long) alignment pin is solidly engaged while there is still about 1/4" between the top of the case and the back-up rod. I have the die and rod adjusted per the book - die is backed off 1 turn from shellplate and rod is adjusted until it bottoms out in case.

The Back up rod for 223 in my press seam to catch the lip of the brass just before the line up rod aligns the top . I end up with dinged brass lips if I don't push the head just a pit left.

interesting to hear someone else mention this!! I too was experiencing this, ended up taking the back-up rod out, chucking it in a drill press and putting a bit more bevel on the edge of the rod. Has reduced the problem (doesn't happen as often) but I'll still end up catching the lip of a cartridge every now and then if I am not careful... keen to hear what others have to say (and how they may have resolved this problem if they have been experiencing it).

interesting to hear someone else mention this!! I too was experiencing this, ended up taking the back-up rod out, chucking it in a drill press and putting a bit more bevel on the edge of the rod. Has reduced the problem (doesn't happen as often) but I'll still end up catching the lip of a cartridge every now and then if I am not careful... keen to hear what others have to say (and how they may have resolved this problem if they have been experiencing it).

I did the same thing and it helped , but the dinged brass eats at you .

What I did find that helped the most was, ( when the index rod pushes the shel plate at the last part of the movement -Twist the tool head counter clockwise just a bit. as the tool head comes down the rods line it up before the dies get near the brass. With the exception of the Swag Back up rod.

So what I do is bump the head back clockwise as it comes down. = Kind of takes the fun out of it though.

With the 1200 trimer in place I use the power cord to provide the clock wise twist.

I may put a rubber band on the tool head next time I size 223 to see if that works.

A Dillion fix would be nice , if it exists

JF

As Alamo Shooter finds, I found this was a problem when I didn't have my press set up quite right.

I went back to basics. I cleaned and lubed the press well. I adjusted the shellplate nut to be tight enough without being too tight. I made sure the toolhead was indexed properly, by running the head into the press, then backing off the toolhead nut, and centering the toolhead, then tightening the bolt slowly.

Now that I use the PW autodrive kit, I'm wondering if the human factor could be a contributing factor.

• 2 weeks later...