Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTL (Failure to load)

ChrisAR15

Second stage at local match was classifier. I was up second or third and went straight to RO duties after shooting. Next stage (24 rounds) I was up first. Walked through and began shooting. Three rounds into second mag (8-round Single Stack) gun goes click. Drop mag, reload, cycle - click. Cycle again and slide stays back. Mag empty. Finished stage after fishing mag out of pocket. Never reloaded mags after classifier.

Have since added a mag check before starting every stage.

Edited by ChrisAR15

I've done that--once. Funny thing, as the mag was going in the gun, I thought, "that sure feels light" so it didn't catch me totally by surprise when it was dry early. Generally I shoot, walk the score, reload mags, then back into R.O. duties or whatever. I read where others refuse to put a mag back into their belt after a stage but I just pick 'em up, put em in belt, go reload, checking each one for filled to capacity, then I'm back in business.

It is sure embarassing when they run dry, though, isn't it? You gotta laugh about it when it is no one's fault but your own.

MLM

I use one simple easy rule. A mag never goes into the belt unless it is fully loaded.

This works especially well shooting limited 10 as you need to unload each mag before loading and counting to 10. If its on the belt its got 10 end of story.

After reading a similar thread on this subject, I adopted the “No empty mag back on the belt rule” myself. They go in the pocket. At the end of the round, I watch the scoring, pick up mags, then go immediately reload. I’m out of action for one, maybe one and half shooters, then I get back in and paste/score/RO whatever is needed. That way I know I have nothing to worry about on the next stage.

I use one simple easy rule. A mag never goes into the belt unless it is fully loaded.

Absolutely, positively the best answer right there.

I won't even do it when I practicing...I stick them in my pocket instead. R,

yeah man first thing i do after im done shootin a stage is clean and reload all the mags that got dropped/used.

shot at this one match a bit ago and this guy goofed a few of the stages because he didnt have his mags loaded to the right capacity and im just thinkin 'uhhhhhhh good job.'

Edited by Field

Absolutely, positively the best answer right there.

I won't even do it when I practicing...I stick them in my pocket instead. R,

This is why I love cargo shorts!

• 2 weeks later...

early 90's and we all had single stacks and no dots(yes it was that long ago) we hit the chrono stage at this bigger match here out west, where they took a mag from our belts and shot 6 rds(most of us had 10 rd 38 supers atthe time, the rest had 8 rds mcCormick .45's) sooooo we get our stuff back and go to standards stage, which was always shot at 50 yrds and was 1/3 ofthe match score...we go up in pairs...the first two shooters went 1 2 3 4...CLICK on a 6 rd stage....the rest of us are going WTF???? then we grab our mags an start countin....yep it hits the dirt or gets used it goes back in the bag not on the belt for me....

Maybe a confession will help so let me add to the mix.

I failed to chamber a round after the load command AT THE PAN-AMERICAN SHOTGUN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

I made this Bone Headed error TWICE!!!!

WTF......Never, in my 23 years in the competitive shooting sports across many disciplines can I ever recall making this dumbass move.

You are not alone.

Patrick

when im donw shooting, i clean mags if neceesary, then fill them all (i shoot SS myself) and put them back on my belt before getting back to taping or setting steel. on the next stage when im announced as "in the hole", i pull each mag out of the puches and check them one at a time to verify i actually got 8 in each one. i dont get very many rounds before a reload anyway, i sure as heck dont want to handicap myself on round count any more, haha

• 3 months later...

Second stage at local match was classifier. I was up second or third and went straight to RO duties after shooting. Next stage (24 rounds) I was up first. Walked through and began shooting. Three rounds into second mag (8-round Single Stack) gun goes click. Drop mag, reload, cycle - click. Cycle again and slide stays back. Mag empty. Finished stage after fishing mag out of pocket. Never reloaded mags after classifier.

Have since added a mag check before starting every stage.

Been there, done that. I try to top off as soon as I've walked my targets and before I tape/RO.

Did the same thing recently at a local match; shot one short stage, inserted a fresh 10 rnd mag and walked over to the next stage which is of course a classifier. Hear the beep, draw, click, SHIT-SHIT-SHIT, tap/rack and finished the course of fire. Fired 11 rounds the previous stage (L10) and did not chamber a round when I reloaded (slide does not lock back when empty). When the classifier posted I had a nice fat "B" next to the score to remind me to shoot classifiers with a round chambered :wacko: