Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Final Crimp Diameter

.40AET

I checked the FAQ's and could not find any information. Not to say that it is not there. I just bought a Lee FCD for .40. I would like to set up the final bullet crimp to a known good diameter. How much crimp is necessary to get good, dependable, ignition? Thanks very much.

Kirk

The easiest way to determine this is to: 1) measure the diameter of the bullets you are using. 2) measure the case wall thickness at 4 spots around the case mouth. Add these 4 measurements together, and divide by 2. 3) add the measurement in step 1 with the measurement in step 2 together. That will give you the diameter that you need.

Hope that helps.

Ray C.

My method is not too scientific. First I use an undersize sizing die (LEE undersize or Redding) which insures that the case wall holds the bullet and NOT the crimp. With the FCD I insure that the bell from the powder die is removed. I then adjust the FCD till I remove the "squareness" off the brass lips. Essentially, all I am doing is crimping the brass enough to avoid any feeding problems.

I remember reading BE one time saying the crimp die for an autoloading pistol cartridge is not a crimp, but a remvoing of the bell created by the powder drop.

Bullet diameter + 2 time wall thickness of brass is usually 0.420" depending on brass.

I adjust the crimp die down until the case is strait again and I cannot feel the lip at the top.

I'm totally down with "crimp" = bell removal; no more. However, I just got some Starline 9mm to help trouble shoot the set back problem I described in another thread. It looks considerably thicker than either my used Federal or Winchester - around 0.012 - 0.013". If we simply apply the bullet diameter plus twice the thickness of the brass, we get 0.3555" + 0.012" + 0.013" = 0.3805", more than the SAAMI max.

So I've got to assume in some cases, like this one (no pun intended), that we have to add the "- 0.001 to 0.002" or "-0.002 to 0.004" parts to this equation, which gets us down around 0.377".

Rufus,

That sound tight. If you pulled the bullert, what does look like ?

I have never had to pull any bullets, .418 is what Benny Hill recommended to me long ago and that is just what I have went with. It might be a bit more than needed, but I like a good, solid crimp. With .418 I have never seen ANY signs of pressure or drop in accuracy. I think factory is somewhere around .418-.421

Rufus,

I'm with WS here, at least for jacketed bullets.

I've heard that if you pull a loaded round and you see that the case mouth leaves a ring on the bullet, the crimp is too tight, and may alter accuracy by compressing and then separating the jacket from the bullet core.

Rufus,

I'm with WS here, at least for jacketed bullets.

I've heard that if you pull a loaded round and you see that the case mouth leaves a ring on the bullet, the crimp is too tight, and may alter accuracy by compressing and then separating the jacket from the bullet core.

I'm not saying a .418 crimp is the ideal crimp, but in my gun with a .418 crimp I get sub 1" groups at 20 yards, so I have not lost any accuracy OR seen any signs of pressure. By all means use a "looser" crimp if you feel the need, there probably is no difference that I can see, but I'm not a fizzicyst, just a redneck :wacko: