Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Red Dot Under $100

BigDave

What is the best red dot scope under $100, or is there one? I'd really like (I think, anyway) to put an Aipoint, Doctor or EOTech on top, but I can't justify it right now. Think in terms of Steel Challenge type shooting and pins. Dot size recommendations are welcome also.

There's a nice Bushnell for under $100 that has multiple reticle patterns (3MOA dot, 3MOA dot in 65MOA circle, larger dot, and crosshaird). It's a 1-inch tube, so it's not going to be too heavy either. It comes with rings too.

Here is a URL:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?content...FTOKEN=81457840

Product Number: BH730134

Product Title: 1X28MM RED DOT W/4 RETCLE & RNGS

Item Price: $79.96

Availability: In Stock

Shipping Weight: 0.86 lb.

If I were buying another inexpensive red dot, it's what I'd get.

Have bought 3 of the BSA brand, 42mm Red dots & all are still going strong on my 22s after several years of use; I think that Zanders had these on sale for $24.90 - not sure if they still do: Item # PB42.

I have that bushnell rhino listed above and love it. I got it as a quick fix for my AR until I could justify the price of an ACOG to my wife. The scope has held up very well keeps its zero when changing reticles and it's zero has never drifted. I would highly recomend it to anyone.

I third the BSA red dot - for .22's anyway. I'd not put it on anything that actually recoils.

I have one on my 7 year old's Browning Buckmark with in integral pic rail. The gun is pure fun to shoot! My son puts down plate racks with it faster than most grown ups with iron sights (at least the non-IPSC crowd at our range)!

• 1 month later...

McOliver,

I have not tried a BSA on a pistol, but recoil wise it should be OK at least for a while.

I stuck mine on a lightweight 12 ga. and figured it would disintegrate pretty quick.

After about 500 rounds I decided I wanted to go back to a bead sight anyway, and pulled it off, none of these loads were 3 dram wuss loads, most were 1 1/8 #4 shot chronoed at an honest 1550 fps.

The dot is not really round, and the optics are not Zeiss quality.

But for the price they work fairly well.

They don't even shift zero when you beat the hell out of them

YMMV, I only have one to compare.

Travis F.

I have put a BSA on a Revo. It did not preform as well as I wanted it to. I was shooting 50 yards for the x ring on a NRA tombstone target. But for 25 dollars it migt be worth a try at closer ranges. I think the same people make most of the tube dots out there. Don't know why some are better or cost more. If I could find a Tasco PDP4 for around 100 I'd pick it up though. Just my thoughts.

I have two of the Tasco PDP5 scopes with the adjustable dot on my .22's and a PDP6 on a Witness open gun. All have been great and the adjustable dot is very cool. Little dot for tough shots, big dot for speed, and one of the in between sizes for general purpose. Of course they are not exactly easy to find these days since Tasco went away. I did find a Bushnell Trophy 1x30 Handgun Shotgun Illuminated Red Dot Scope that seems to be the same thing as the PDP5 on Ebay for about $90. I would try that or look for one of the Tasco scopes.

-ld