Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Strength and Training

I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Gripper-grips-Forearm-Strength/dp/B0017OSE1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370752584&sr=1-1 on Amazon 2 months ago. After training for 2 months I can close and hold the 200 lb gripper with both hands. I am not sure how this translates against the COC gripper since the heavy Grips were made in China and I don't see a big difference between the 150 and the 200 (appearance is different with noticeably heavier springs but difficulty to close is not much different). Regardless I have had a notable improvement in recoil control which was the object of the purchase. I just ordered a COC 2.5 from Amazon, and hope to get it this week.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Gripper-grips-Forearm-Strength/dp/B0017OSE1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370752584&sr=1-1 on Amazon 2 months ago. After training for 2 months I can close and hold the 200 lb gripper with both hands. I am not sure how this translates against the COC gripper since the heavy Grips were made in China and I don't see a big difference between the 150 and the 200 (appearance is different with noticeably heavier springs but difficulty to close is not much different). Regardless I have had a notable improvement in recoil control which was the object of the purchase. I just ordered a COC 2.5 from Amazon, and hope to get it this week.

I have a the COC T, 1, and 2, I also have the Heavy Grips 100, 150 and 200. For my sets the 100 is less than the T, the 150 is between the T and the 1, and the 200 is a little harder than the 1, and way less than the 2. (I would guess it is easier than the 1.5 COC.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the CoC grippers,too. They're excellent. I got Ron Avery's booklet from Ironmind. Very helpful. I got the bands and the IMTUG's,too.

Practically eliminated my tendonitis in less than 3 weeks.

I have a Sidewinder that I use for a wrist roller. It's very intense. I can't even imagine buying the Pro version.

Check out the Sidewinder at www.http://sportgrips.com/.

Practically eliminated my tendonitis in less than 3 weeks.

Any recommendations here beyond the bands?

I don't know if it's because I'm in my 40's, or maybe age has nothing to do with it, but there is no way I could work on grip strength without stretching every day, especially since I have carpal tunnel and some stiff joints in my fingers.

I once suffered from tendonitis, too. Laying off weights, and grippers for a couple of weeks, along with daily stretching took care of the problem. You're doctor can recommend some stretches, and there are plenty of examples on YouTube. Most doctors recommend heat before or as you're stretching. I do the stretching at the kitchen sink with the water as hot as I can stand it.

Besides the bands, I also work the extensors by sticking my hands in a bucket of corn cob media, and opening them. Several sets of 10-15 reps does the trick for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this mostly muscle memory with repetition comes repeatability?

I think so, or at least for some people. I know that I had to think about it a lot when I 1st got into practical shooting. I concentrated on a nice firm grip in live and dry fire practice until I didn't have to think about it anymore. On occasion I have to remind myself to grip hard when dry firing, and when shooting slow groups.

I don't think it should be something you think about when shooting a match. Although, at the IPSC Nationals last year I had to remind myself right in the middle of shooting a stage with some tight long distance shots. The gun sliding around in my hands was enough reminder for me and I quickly corrected the problem. It's a problem you don't want to be thinking about in a match. It's distracting and slows you down.

Probably for most people just gripping the gun hard in practice is enough workout, but I'm one of those that chooses to use the grippers, and other exercises to enhance my grip strength. Who knows, maybe I really don't need to do additional exercises, but I figure it makes up for the lack of shooting practice I do, and the exercises give me a certain amount grip strength that I don't have to think about. You know, that natural and effortless strength we use throughout the day.

• 8 months later...

I have tried a bunch of things but found my resistance training routine was more helpful than anything, (just holding on to heavy barbell exercises like deadlifts, cleans, etc.) especially after training with a large diameter bar in order to improve my grip on deadlifts. Forearm exercises definitely help a lot as well.

The past couple weeks I've added heavy ropes to my routine and I've noticed a pretty big improvement in forearm and grip strength. After the fist day I could barely close my hand and the next weekends match I noticed a decent improvement on paper.

I started with 3 sets of 30 seconds with 45 seconds rest and 3 different exercises added to the end of my routine. I was pretty shocked how hard it got.

First video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbkbcPJTTes

• 2 weeks later...

The past couple weeks I've added heavy ropes to my routine and I've noticed a pretty big improvement in forearm and grip strength. After the fist day I could barely close my hand and the next weekends match I noticed a decent improvement on paper.

I started with 3 sets of 30 seconds with 45 seconds rest and 3 different exercises added to the end of my routine. I was pretty shocked how hard it got.

First video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbkbcPJTTes

thanks